• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hurricane Michael- Here We Go Again

Judge

V.I.P Member
This one is about 35 miles off the Florida Panhandle coast, moving at 150 mph. Presently considered a category 4 hurricane. Meaning horrendous storm surges if it makes landfall at this wind speed. Looking ugly. Evacuation of this area seems limited given smaller capacity roadways. No interstate highways.

Hopefully we don't have any community members in this part of the country that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
I just hate whenever meteorologists describe something as "unprecedented". :eek:

I have kin in central Alabama...just hope it doesn't impact them too much.

I've been through many hurricanes and this one looks very dangerous. I was on the Mississippi Gulf Coast during Katrina where the storm surge was over 30 feet high. I hope everyone along the Panhandle has evacuated to safety. Old timers know how bad these storms can be. It's usually the newbies, the thrill seekers and the plain old stupid who think they can ride out the storm.

With global warming, we are going to have more of these killer storms. I wish Trump believed in science.

I'm just wondering if such a storm as say a "cat 2" might actually gain momentum inland, as it gets closer to the Atlantic Ocean having gone through Georgia and the Carolinas.

* Just heard the hurricane has made landfall still at a cat 4 level. Very bad with 150 mph winds and 175 mph gusts.

Last edited:
It made landfall with 155 mile per hour winds- 1 mile hour under a cat 5. The weather pics are very scary, have been watching NBC which has David Muir and others reporting from ground zero. Lots of debris flying around as well as deafening rain and wind.

This one is about 35 miles off the Florida Panhandle coast, moving at 150 mph. Presently considered a category 4 hurricane. Meaning horrendous storm surges if it makes landfall at this wind speed. Looking ugly. Evacuation of this area seems limited given smaller capacity roadways. No interstate highways.

Hopefully we don't have any community members in this part of the country that I'm aware of.
Wonder if SusanLR is affected ?

Wonder if SusanLR is affected ?

I'm thinking/hoping that despite the size of this weather system, she should be clear or on the very periphery of this storm which is moving in the opposite direction of her posted location.

Last edited:
Horrendous property damage, especially along the coast. At least so far there appears to be only one fatality.

Horrendous property damage, especially along the coast. At least so far there appears to be only one fatality.
I'm reacting differently to the word fatality as someone was murdered across the street from me at the end of last month, could've been dead for days.
But I react differently from people anyway because my mother was a solicitor ( like a lawyer ), so I heard intimate details about personal injury cases .
I never realised that I didn't understand death because I was autistic .
Must be something to do with the NHS taking 45 years to diagnose me

No problems here in Tampa Bay area.
We got some of the outer bands, but, they blew through so quickly the wind and rain lasted about
10 mins. each time. Off and on all day.

The panhandle area was hit hard. I think most evacuted in time.
Highway 10 is a large interstate just above the Panama City area where it came on land.
It was the evacuation route.

Spectrum News | Bay News 9

This is our local news site. There are a lot of pictures and a good video of it all on this link right now.
I am fine. The area here is fine. Thanks for thinking of me and we're all thinking of those who had to
go through this.

Well, for once, "unprecedented" was accurate. But Michael wasn't moving at 150 miles an hour. Its top speed was 14 miles per hour. It's the wind speeds that were horrific, just short of a category 5 when it made landfall. I grew up in South Florida at a time when hurricanes were very frequent. Scary as hell to sit through them. And none of the ones I experienced were nearly as bad as this one.

Well, for once, "unprecedented" was accurate. But Michael wasn't moving at 150 miles an hour. Its top speed was 14 miles per hour. It's the wind speeds that were horrific, just short of a category 5 when it made landfall. I grew up in South Florida at a time when hurricanes were very frequent. Scary as hell to sit through them. And none of the ones I experienced were nearly as bad as this one.

Yeah. Despite the storm system moving across land at a somewhat higher speed than the last, the wind velocity was so much faster creating some horrendous property damage.

Looking pretty grim at scenes of Panama City, Florida. Even saw lines of railway boxcars knocked over right off the tracks. Scary stuff considering this was a hurricane and not a tornado.

Looks like the eyewall is hitting Charlotte and Raleigh North Carolina now. Hope our community members in these areas are doing ok given the amounts of rain coming down. At least the wind speed is down to 50 mph now.

Addendum: Just stunning to see all the damage on network news broadcasts. Haven't seen anything like this since Katrina.

Last edited:
Sad to see the death toll rise to 12 people. With media sources expecting more fatalities. Small wonder when you begin to see the real destruction this storm caused, and on such a large scale.

It will likely take Florida years to recover.

Sad to see the death toll rise to 12 people. With media sources expecting more fatalities. Small wonder when you begin to see the real destruction this storm caused, and on such a large scale.

It will likely take Florida years to recover.
God bless America Donald Trump wont

No problems here in Tampa Bay area.
We got some of the outer bands, but, they blew through so quickly the wind and rain lasted about
10 mins. each time. Off and on all day.

The panhandle area was hit hard. I think most evacuted in time.
Highway 10 is a large interstate just above the Panama City area where it came on land.
It was the evacuation route.

Spectrum News | Bay News 9

This is our local news site. There are a lot of pictures and a good video of it all on this link right now.
I am fine. The area here is fine. Thanks for thinking of me and we're all thinking of those who had to
go through this.
I find it strange how certain areas just don't get it (Hurricane twister, flooding)at the moment the wind is about 50 miles an hour ,in London it's about 17 miles an hour love to know why this is not a huge country.

I find it strange how certain areas just don't get it (Hurricane twister, flooding)at the moment the wind is about 50 miles an hour ,in London it's about 17 miles an hour love to know why this is not a huge country.

Your comment reminded me of a short interview I saw yesterday. It was an engineer connected with assessing the storm versus construction standards. He seemed truly exasperated over it all.

I could understand too, given so much total destruction where in some cases there were buildings which looked structurally intact while the building adjacent to it was obliterated down to the foundation. Destruction far more indicative of a direct hit from a tornado- not a large hurricane.

Perhaps this storm may shed some light on construction standards and building materials in such cases. I'm not sure though, given so many meteorological variables in play. I just felt bad for that engineer who must have one hell of a job when they begin to rebuild.

Occasionally in the desert we get near-hurricane force (<74mph) winds as well. Yet seldom with any serious damage. In the case of Hurricane Michael it made landfall with 150 mph winds. Where many masonry buildings seemed to hold up quite well. But non-masonry construction...OMG.

Last edited:
Well the aftermath looks pretty horrific from what I've seen on the media over here. I'm just glad the death toll wasn't any worse considering the obvious ferocity of the storm. It's such a contrast I often think, that America has some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the world combined with some of the most terrifying weather and geological activity.

Just saw the death toll has risen to a total of sixteen people. Hope this is the last of it.

@Judge from what they are showing and saying on the local news here it will probably keep rising.
I saw that interview about the construction problems also.
The devastation is so vast, there is much yet to be uncovered in the debris and the rescue workers
fear there will be more deaths found as they remove it.

New Threads

Top Bottom