• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How would you describe your own cultures sense of humour?

76054Pluto

People have different ideas of what's funny and what isn't depending on culture or country. How would you describe your cultures or countries sense of humour?

Cliche, to be honest. Make a lame pun or tell a stale joke and you've got everyone in stitches. They also laugh at things that aren't even funny, like the mention of teenagers or someone saying a word in a foreign language.

Horrible, lol.

Looking at supposedly dutch comedy, I find most of it totally not funny. I don't see how it's funny. I can see how they try to make it funny, but I pretty much end up thinking it's a good punchline short every time.

But I don't know if I'm a good person to judge that. I've been told that I have my own "weird" sense of humor, that doesn't connect to everyone.

Sometimes I feel that comedy, especially national comedy here is still stuck in a "America's funiest home videos" while I feel it should move on and be less cheesy, go with the time, and adapt an edgier style. Tosh.o usually is something I do enjoy watching, and that's pretty much the same concept as AFHV if you ask me, just a bit more offensive, more of this day and age and not with bad betamax videos.

If American television sitcoms are supposed to be funny, then I must have a sense of humor that is at odds with my culture because I think most of them stink. There must be millions who disagree with me though, as the shows would not be on the air if they weren't making money, and they don't make money unless the shows have a wide viewership.

I would describe my culture's sense of humor as sophomoric, or juvenile, and largely male-oriented.

“They do have a sense of humor but they can’t take a joke directed at them. They get very defensive.” - S Menon

This is especially true in Singapore's culture. Our multi-cultural culture really creates a lot of stuff where we can use as humor material - but much of it are racist, religious or sexist in nature.

Does British humor seem to be more Aspie-like to anyone? I'm wondering if there is a higher incidence of Asperger's there. England is know for it's "eccentric" people.

Or it's just that the Brits are being seen as a weird bunch altogether by the world, lol

Sarcastic but slightly classy, tongue-in-cheek b!tchy yet without actually saying a sentence which is rude. Yankees don't understand it a lot of the time and we can be really mean without them knowing.

Yay, the South.

The problem with American comedy is that much of it's too "cliche" (I think someone here mentioned that, as well). Much of the reasoning is how standard American sitcoms are set up- they last too long or need to come up with episodes too quickly- almost all American shows-even the ones I love- end up seeming forced eventually. It happens with others, but it's the most obvious and common in American comedy in my opinion. There's also far too many formulated sitcoms- that somehow end up here in the UK- that are just too bland for words. Shows and stand up comedians borrow and copy things from each other far too much. It's like things are labeled and collectively identified as "funny" without anyone actually laughing.

The laugh track annoys me, also (even though I like some shows with it). Is that just an American thing?
Although I do think the Big Bang Theory has clever bits, this is interesting:
The Big Bang Theory - No Laugh Track 1 (Avoiding the Shamy) - YouTube

GERMAN: Very cold, dry and reserved (Yet still very funny at times).

I mostly appreciate British humor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same washed up cliche (yes, I'm reiterating that again because it's true) and stereotypical plots that pass for evening sitcoms, personally why I never really care for big network programming. I've found Youtube and the rest of the Internet for that matter to be more entertaining, far more in fact, that what passes for humor around here. At least there I can sample a variety of humor from wherever, rather than limiting myself to just what's on the tube which at this point is IMO kinda stale.

I'm finding that my culture's sense of humor runs more to toilet humor than anything else, with the possible exception of the Blue Collar Comedy guys.

Quebec (French Canada) silly, naughty, off-colour & irreverant. Also, fun without being misogynistic too potty-mouthed or racist. Willing to poke fun at anything & everything.

New Threads

Top Bottom