• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Will I Live Without Food Stamps?

Another useful tip is to always look for meats on sale immediately after major holidays. I buy small hams, whole turkeys and duck after Thanksgiving and Christmas, and corned beef briskets after St. Patrick's Day. I have a lot of freezer space which not everyone has. I love to cook a turkey in the middle of the summer. No one expects it that time of year but everyone likes to eat it.

Plus, we do need up our protein intake as we get older. My grandmother would have lived longer, if l had been more knowledgeable and could have informed her on this. She was healthy but didn't have regular protein, lord knows what medications she was taking. This will make such a big difference. Like 20 grams of protein in the morning or at lunch, you will see a big difference in how you feel. I just had a close friend up his intake, and he now swears by this. He is a MD, but even he forgot how important regular protein intake is important. Then try to get another 20 -30 grams more protein at dinner.

Last edited:
I have 3 main strategies:

1. I buy reduced products that are near their sell by dates, and then freeze them. My local supermarket has items reduced by 50%. Of course, it needs to be something I like or buy anyway, or it's a false economy.

2. I buy in bulk where possible and pay attention to the price per kilo to get the best value for money. I also cook in bulk and eat over 2-3 days, or freeze the excess food.

3. I make a lot of meals with things like beans and lentils, as they are a cheap, healthy source of protein.

Good points @Progster . You take advantage of whatever you can. I use salad dressings, seasonings, and meat seasonings to dress up my beans, etc. I am going to buy black salt to make my tofu taste like eggs. I just bought protein powder with 26 grams of whey protein for 1 dollar a serving. Sign me up.

Another thing that might work for you is growing your own food. For example, a packet of beans to plant costs very little, they are easy to grow and will give you plenty of beans. You can blanche and freeze the excess ones. You could make your own yogurt and bread, and some foods can be foraged.

Another thing that might work for you is growing your own food. For example, a packet of beans to plant costs very little, they are easy to grow and will give you plenty of beans. You can blanche and freeze the excess ones. You could make your own yogurt and bread, and some foods can be foraged.
To add, growing things takes time. If you're in a more rural area, and not under an HOA where they spray, this is an optimal way to go. If you're in the city, you can only have so many pots and places to grow, and this might not be as feasible.

I hope you aren't too picky with food or textures or getting acclimated. This can save you a lot of concern with your time and energy for food needs, and you can have more focus on time for yourself or potential ways for (side) income even if temporary.

To add, growing things takes time. If you're in a more rural area, and not under an HOA where they spray, this is an optimal way to go. If you're in the city, you can only have so many pots and places to grow, and this might not be as feasible.

Even if you can't grow a vegetable garden, you can grow some herbs on a sunny windowsill. Parsley, oregano, thyme, chives, cilantro, etc. which make food taste good.

I buy reduced products that are near their sell by dates, and then freeze them. My local supermarket has items reduced by 50%. Of course, it needs to be something I like or buy anyway, or it's a false economy.
One of my favorite places to buy groceries. On the west coast of the US it's called "Grocery Outlet". Not sure if the OP has ever frequented these stores, but they have them in their vicinity.

Considerably more of them than in Northern Nevada:

1. Grocery Outlet Bargain Market

• 4420 NE Hancock St
  • Portland, OR 97213

2. Grocery Outlet Bargain Market

• 7120 SE Flavel St
  • Portland, OR 97206

3. Grocery Outlet Bargain Market

• 12102 SE Division St
  • Portland, OR 97266

4. Grocery Outlet Bargain Market

• 10721 NE Sandy Blvd