• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How well-lit do you like your house/room to be?

• I like it dark

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I like it dimly-lit

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • I like it well-lit

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

. . .

V.I.P Member

I personally like everything to be dark. I leave a dim lamp on in my room in case I'm to look for something or read. I also leave on very dim lights on the stove and in another room to prevent myself from bumping into walls at night. :p

The main reason I keep things dark is to prevent people from showing up here; another is because my eyes are sensitive to bright lights. People often bug me for keeping things overly dark, but I try not to let it bother me. My sister used to always say that I "live like a vampire" and whenever my brother-in-law would see me he'd always comment on me keeping things so dark and would laugh about it. That bothered me a little, but whatever; I guess he could be more harsh. I just get annoyed when people try to make me acknowledge that I'm weird as if I don't realize that some of the stuff I do is quite different from the norm.

One reason why I hated school was because things were way too brightly lit. It seems like most people aren't bothered by bright lights, but I absolutely can't stand them (with the only exception being sunlight which I actually like).

Anyway, I guess I'll vote for the "I like it to be dimly-lit" poll option, but I really wish that I never had to turn any lights on. I can't stand lights.

I used to have everything dark and hated when the lights were switched on. Now though, I always have lights on for health reasons (using a computer in darkness isn't healthy, especially if your screen is bright and you sit close to it) and don't mind it. The only time I turn off the lights is when I leave the room, watch a movie (darkness draws attention to the TV) or when I go to sleep.

I like well-lit rooms but prefer natural lighting. I'm likely to let a room get darker than most people would before I turn the lights on unless I need full lighting. This is one major reason why I like houses with many windows. I am often surprised by how little other people seem to be bothered by houses with few, small windows (burrows!!).

You have a better chance of having phototriggered epilepsy/seizures if you have darkness in the room while on the computer, because you make the flashing in the computer more brighter and that can be a trigger but with lighting then there isn't as much flashing when in darkness, and it makes it even worse when sitting close, even with lighting, i would recommend being 0,75 meters from the computer when you are using it.

Last edited:
I have to have my room well lit (at least in my home). I only like darkness when I am sleeping. Due to vision reasons, I have to have lights on, and for some reason lights don't bother me. In fact I like well lit rooms. The more light the better. I can stand darkness when watching a movie though, because that is expected when watching a move or during certain times in class (or if the professor chooses natural light or dislike well lit rooms).

Well I guess I am the odd one out. :S

I much prefer dimly lit. I HATE having bright lights in my line of sight.

These days I need stronger light for reading - guess I'll need reading glasses soon, but not just yet.

I like to have a dim light in my room, like now for instance. I have my lava lamp on but nothing else. It's the same when I watch TV, I don't like any lights on when I watch TV because I find they distract me from what I'm watching.

Another thing I get when in a brightly lit room is a high-pitched buzzing noise inside my head, which I don't particularly like. Funnily enough, it seems to go away when I turn the light off.

Hehe, I have a 32" inch monitor and I'm closer than 0.75m!

But to answer the question. I prefer to have all lights off in my house. I like to have all curtains closed.

I seem to be the only person who picked dark so far lol. I love the dark. The light makes me anxious & can even give me headaches.

I prefer darkness, then moon light, then dim, but I hate watching TV or PC monitor in total dark, and I hate lights in my line of view especially to the sides in my peripheral vision. Oddly enough, brightly lit rooms do not bother me as long as the lights are above or behind me.

I like having a little lamp on; it annoys some people cos its too dark, but I like it that way :)

I prefer a dim lighting... with the warm glow from a PC monitor and a lava lamp... i could stair at them for hours ;)

I prefer there to be something on that is dim, or at least just one light... I wouldn't mind having a black light, i.e. a light bulb that is white whose shell is black. I prefer natural lighting over everything, and I used to be able to not have a light during the day, but my weather-blocking curtains block out the light, too. :( Darn.

Right now, it's naturally lit, but only slightly. I find it's easier on my eyes.

During the day, I like to open the curtains up and let it be fairly bright. But once the sun goes down, I want the fake lights dim. They annoy me a lot more than sunlight.

Of an evening I prefer the house be dimly lit, I find bright artifical lighting as irritating as bright sunlight. Creature of the night, that's me.

New Threads

Top Bottom