• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to tell if an Aspie guy loves you?

Do you say “I love you” to him? If not, maybe he’s too shy to say it first. If you do say it, maybe he just needs more time.
Well he was definitely really shy when I first met him. I have not said I love you I'm afraid it'll freak him out. He will never say it first that I do know. Would you say it?

Well he was definitely really shy when I first met him. I have not said I love you I'm afraid it'll freak him out. He will never say it first that I do know. Would you say it?
I would say it, yeah. Why do you think it would freak him out? If you’re nervous about saying it, maybe it’s just not the right time yet.

I would say it, yeah. Why do you think it would freak him out? If you’re nervous about saying it, maybe it’s just not the right time yet.
I'm not really sure why I think that. Eventually I will say it when I feel like it's the right time but I think he would know by now with how I've been towards him he can't be that oblivious

I don't think he did.
Oh I'm assuming he never disclosed that with you then but if he hasn't well that's entirely up to him though.

Yep sadly not unusual for lots of men on the Spectrum and even NT men to remain a virgin later than normal.

But of course at the same time going to a sex worker or paying for sex is not for everyone, that route is not for everyone or it's just not everyone's cup of tea.

Reminds me, I know I sometimes get angry like many people do that Hollywood made the movie The 40-Year-Old Virgin with Steve Carell a lot of people no doubt feel that movie is an insult and a mockery to people who have not had sex by a certain age

I'm not really sure why I think that. Eventually I will say it when I feel like it's the right time but I think he would know by now with how I've been towards him he can't be that oblivious
He sounds like a sweet guy, so I bet he’ll like hearing it. You’ll know when the right moment comes around. :)

Eventually I will say it when I feel like it's the right time but I think he would know by now with how I've been towards him he can't be that oblivious
Among the things that are often recommended for communicating with Aspies are to be direct, honest, and concise.
"Direct" implies "literal" (i.e. no indirect speech. no assumptions about tone of voice, body language, etc).

You need to consider about what you actually want to do, and why you're doing it.
And then think very hard about what "I love you" will mean when you use it. He won't know.

It's not just 3 words. To Aspies, with large innate gaps in their communication skills, notably in this very area, it's not just the usual minefield. It's a book worth of information plus an extended version of the usual minefield.

I think you have an obligation, and if you genuinely want an LTR a duty, to fully and accurately explain the nature of this important step to him. That means more than 3 words.

Last edited:
Even you know a person loves you, it doesn't hurt that they also say the words... I would trust actions over words thou...

I just thought about something, are you telling him about your feelings? oh never mind, I can see my phone played tricks on me and I had missed most of this thread - sorry

Last edited:
two thoughts, could he be thinking something similar? And, if he has never been in a relationship before, he might not know to say it..?

I just thought about something, are you telling him about your feelings? oh never mind, I can see my phone played tricks on me and I had missed most of this thread - sorry
It's okay. I did tell him a while back I have feelings for him that is where we got to this point now. However I don't really think he understood what I meant by that.

two thoughts, could he be thinking something similar? And, if he has never been in a relationship before, he might not know to say it..?
It's hard for me to say with him. I'm going with my gut and I think he feels the same way as me. Yes and the fact that he's never been in a real relationship I don't think he would know to say those words. At least not be the first one I pretty much have initiated this entire relationship. Now he's starting to initiate a little more. But I kind of have to give him the okay.

It's hard for me to say with him. I'm going with my gut and I think he feels the same way as me. Yes and the fact that he's never been in a real relationship I don't think he would know to say those words. At least not be the first one I pretty much have initiated this entire relationship. Now he's starting to initiate a little more. But I kind of have to give him the okay.
It sounds like you have made great progress with him, keep helping him, changes takes time for us on the spectrum :) Yeah, I was thinking it might be an inexperience thingy more than an emotional one.

Last edited:
Among the things that are often recommended for communicating with Aspies are to be direct, honest, and concise.
"Direct" implies "literal" (i.e. no indirect speech. no assumptions about tone of voice, body language, etc).

You need to consider about what you actually want to do, and why you're doing it.
And then think very hard about what "I love you" will mean when you use it. He won't know.

It's not just 3 words. To Aspies, with large innate gaps in their communication skills, notably in this very area, it's not just the usual minefield. It's a book worth of information plus an extended version of the usual minefield.

I think you have an obligation, and if you genuinely want an LTR a duty, to fully and accurately explain the nature of this important step to him. That means more than 3 words.
Not all people with autism are like this. I’m not. It doesn’t seem like most on the forum are either. The way she approaches telling him she loves him will have to be based on what he’s like as an individual—which is true of every relationship, not just ones between one or more autistic people.

@Kalinychta

Most of the people on the forum have the characteristic communication deficits that are literally a defining symptom of ASD.

IMO a relationship's first "I love you" is one of the phrases with the most "indirect information" associated with the words. That's certainly consistent with my personal experience. I'd be interested to hear if your experiences have been different.

@Kalinychta

Most of the people on the forum have the characteristic communication deficits that are literally a defining symptom of ASD.

IMO a relationship's first "I love you" is one of the phrases with the most "indirect information" associated with the words. That's certainly consistent with my personal experience. I'd be interested to hear if your experiences have been different.
My experiences are different, yeah. Most people know what “I love you” means, autistic or not. Unless the OP’s boyfriend has intellectual deficits, I think he’ll know what love is. I could be wrong, but it seems more like she’s just nervous about saying it and isn’t sure how he’ll take it (emotionally), and she’s nervous he may not feel the same. It sounds like pretty typical stuff for any relationship.

Initiated, were you the one that asked him out? Were you the one that started talking to him first or introduced yourself to him first?

New Threads

Top Bottom