• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to overcome dog phobia

I also used to be scared of dogs, I haven't bothered to read other comments so please excuse me if others have suggested this. I recommend some slow exposure, start with being around dogs that are a size that's just barely within your comfort zone,
I met a big dog breed as a puppy and that really helped me get over some hurdles with that particular breed.
One thing I have found over the years is that i'm much more likely to be bit by a little dog than a big dog, at least by big dogs owned by my friends and family, because big dogs in secure homes tend to be really sweet and friendly, and some cases really shy. I once housesat a mastiff who was more scared of me then me of her and so being around her really helped me get comfy around big dogs.

I think one of the best ways to overcome phobias is through exposure. It may be helpful to visit a small, local pet shop (usually less busy, so more responsible for Covid) near you where you could safely watch and maybe interact with dogs in a controlled environment. Alternatively, watching lots of cute dog videos, and videos of aggressive dog behaviours so you know what behaviour to be wary of.
Dogs very rarely bite without reason or warning unless they've been trained to be attack dogs, or have been abused. If you are being invited over, I'm sure the dog is friendly, so may jump up on you or bark excitedly, so be prepared for that as a possibility. Speaking to your friend in advance and explaining the situation may help them ensure that you and the dog can meet in a more relaxed way (for example, the dog is maybe on a leash so if you feel uncomfortable, the dogs human can pull them away from you easier).

How do I overcome dog phobia? I have a friend in my criteria that just called me that he wants me to come to his house someday and he has other friends that’s also in my criteria but they have huge dogs.
The idea with phobia is the panic is the worst !so try first looking at a picture of a dog ,then a video of dogs, then with another person go to a place where there are dogs, watch them, do each activity until you are not hyperventilating definitely look for Torah verses on fear psalms has a lot

how can people want to live with these animals? it's so confusing to me!
the issue I think is: dogs only have their animal instinct. You have to be like an animal when being with dogs and with some humans as well. If you're bad a body language then dogs are difficult. If you are the leat anxious they may become really upset. Luckily, there are dogs who do not become upset and just want to help you.
I don't understand how people say that aspies are supposed to be good with animals. Perhaps they think that aspies are good with body language.
Perhaps aspies have a body language like an animal rather than a human?

Dogs make me nervous, too. You never know how well-trained they are or if they’ve been trained at all. Seems like most people who keep dogs don’t bother. I like dogs, but I also think they’re extremely gross—they stink, they slobber, they jump on you with dirty paws, they defecate everywhere... Yucky.

New Threads

Top Bottom