• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to cut-down on internet use while still needing the internet?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I have a problem, I realize that one of the things that's keeping me from my goals is internet overuse. However, until things change, I still need the internet in order to find a job and my future spouse.

Is there anyway that I can find a solution to this conundrum?

I'd suggest trying a new hobby, maybe?

If you have other things to do, things that will actually engage your mind enough, you might find you dont spend nearly as much time on the Net.

That's how it's been for me. After getting into my board gaming hobby, I'll have entire days... or 2 or 3 at a time maybe... where I dont even touch the computer.

Do you schedule your time?
Yes, for the most part. Usually I end up playing something while I'm doing the dishes or some other chores, and often I either finish my chores while the video is still playing, or I end up wanting to look-up something that's related afterwards.

There are other loose-ends in my schedule, where I'll try to cut-corners by taking-up whatever free-time is available to do something online and get caught-up in that.

I don't understand the problem. Use the internet for the things you need and use it less for the things you don't need.

If you spend four hours per day online, that's 1/6th of a twenty four hour day.
I've been online since 1996, which is twenty four years.
1/6th of twenty four years is four entire years of my life online.
Athough I've learned a lot, it's still four years of my life, where I could have done so many other things.

If you connect via Wi-Fi you can go into your router settings and set it to only being active during a set period during the day.

Ed

https://findfocus.net/overcome-internet-addiction/

I found this, it's about how to stay focused on essential tasks but avoid internet overuse.

'It's not using willpower and motivation that help you to overcome your bad online habits, it's delay discounting. That's a technique based on science that you can use to temporarily block certain websites even if you need the internet on a daily basis.'

I would suggest making your layout and images unpleasant, non colorful, which is something I have read before, and also a text view only, no images. Also moving your computer to an unreachable unviewable or obstruct the area, works with sweets temptation. My computer starts up very slowly and lags often so Im very discouraged from using it. I have switched to mobile but Im not sure itd be enough if i didn't have a mobile. The mobile isn't as discouraging for going outside at least.

Last edited:
A lot of it for me is dealing with things I have to deal with actually are completely overwhelming for me anxiety wise, and doing whatever on the internet can be kind of fun. Like it is absolutely avoidance, but I’m not sure that some of it isn’t temporarily necessary. Like, for example, because having my anxiety on 10 dealing with things that make me unhappy for long periods of time seems to make me seriously depressed. So it’s something of an anti-depressant.

If you spend four hours per day online, that's 1/6th of a twenty four hour day.
I've been online since 1996, which is twenty four years.
1/6th of twenty four years is four entire years of my life online.
Athough I've learned a lot, it's still four years of my life, where I could have done so many other things.

Foe me, it is hard to not research things that have my attention. All of that knowledge at my fingertips. Gone are all those encyclopedias that had to be replaced every few years. I do not consider time spent learning as wasted time.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I have made progress since posting this thread; partially due to changes in my circumstances since this thread was posted.

I'll try to remember everyone's advice for the future.

New Threads

Top Bottom