• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to block the Windows 10 upgrade

It can be annoying seeing that update to install Windows 10 when you don't want to install it. Yesterday I found a article on PC World how to block the popup from appearing and disable the install. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2998967/windows/how-to-block-the-windows-10-upgrade.html
I think it is would be easier to follow the howtogeek guide to remove and disable the KB3035583 update, without using Third party software.
And while on it it could be a good idea to remove all telemetry updates. (Some telemetry updates)

I think it is would be easier to follow the howtogeek guide to remove and disable the KB3035583 update, without using Third party software.
Easier can have different meaning to different people, however, thanks for suggesting another way to archive the same task.

I have mixed feelings about Windows 10 (which I think I have voiced before). It seems more lightweight, especially important if you're on a laptop...but yeah. There are reasons to at least delay upgrading (if at all) for a number of reasons.

I have mixed feelings about Windows 10 (which I think I have voiced before). It seems more lightweight, especially important if you're on a laptop...but yeah. There are reasons to at least delay upgrading (if at all) for a number of reasons.
My reason for my delay I don't have time to find what software works and don't work for my business.

My reason for my delay I don't have time to find what software works and don't work for my business.
Which is an excellent reason. I've not run into any compatibility issues myself...in fact, I've run optimization scripts that were designed for Windows 8 that worked perfectly, but...Maybe you could virtualize it?

Which is an excellent reason. I've not run into any compatibility issues myself...in fact, I've run optimization scripts that were designed for Windows 8 that worked perfectly, but...Maybe you could virtualize it?
Funny I was thinking of virtualize it myself when I wrote my previous comment. My machine would haves no issues as I have 16 GB of RAM.

I guess my other option is dual boot my MacBook Air as I only use it for iOS development.

Funny I was thinking of virtualize it myself when I wrote my previous comment. My machine would haves no issues as I have 16 GB of RAM.
16 GB of RAM is MORE than enough! Like I said, it's very lightweight, so system resources shouldn't be a problem.

My husband's been running Win10 for a little while now and has mixed feelings, too, but leans toward "no thanks." I don't remember all of the exact reasons offhand, but I do recall some display bugs that were rather annoying ("frames" around the edge of full-screen stuff such as games that showed the desktop through them). Some of the crazy privacy-related stuff has been cited, too.

This is how I get rid of that annoying Windows 10 update. You may be able to block it for a day or 2 but it's back like a sore tooth. I haven't been able to find a way to permanently block this update without blocking or turning off all updates. However after blocking this update enough it will disappear for a few months. Microsoft must be having trouble getting people to accept Windows 10. After working with Windows 10 in Walmart several time I just don't like it.

This windows update is KB3035583

1 Control Panel
2 Programs
3 Programs and features
4 View installed updates to find or if
already known type in search box and than click search

If possible, can people talk about what this post is about instead of being off topic?
Sorry, Mr. Penguin.

I have noticed that in XP and Vista, if you just disable automatic updates you can choose which ones you want to install and which ones you don't. Is that no longer true?

Sorry, Mr. Penguin.

I have noticed that in XP and Vista, if you just disable automatic updates you can choose which ones you want to install and which ones you don't. Is that no longer true?
It might work. I'm not sure which update MS had to force the machine wanting to upgrade to Windows 10.

I've just permanently "hidden" the tray icon. I'm sure the process itself involves all kinds of bloatware on my hard drive that I don't want or need, but at this point I'm just grateful that I have minimal nag screens of any kind at this time.

If I was really intending to upgrade I think I'd get a dedicated SSD for it first, with swappable drive capability.

As it stands right now, the update to Win10 isn't forced, it just kind of sits there, waiting for you to do it, maybe including a popup encouraging you to install it.

The comment about Mac isn't entirely off topic. Switching to another operating system is a valid option to consider, especially as Microsoft continues to make increasingly questionable business decisions, and are trending toward adware that you pay for the continued privilege of using.

As it stands right now, the update to Win10 isn't forced, it just kind of sits there, waiting for you to do it, maybe including a popup encouraging you to install it.

The comment about Mac isn't entirely off topic. Switching to another operating system is a valid option to consider, especially as Microsoft continues to make increasingly questionable business decisions, and are trending toward adware that you pay for the continued privilege of using.
With respect to that, Linux is more likely to work with your hardware than Mac OS, since Mac likes to have this sort of "integrated" hardware/software thingie. Still no guarantees, though, especially now with "restricted boot" going around. Before you switch to any new system, you should try and preview it on your current machine, so you don't have to spend money on hardware that you didn't know was incompatible.

With respect to that, Linux is more likely to work with your hardware than Mac OS, since Mac likes to have this sort of "integrated" hardware/software thingie. Still no guarantees, though, especially now with "restricted boot" going around. Before you switch to any new system, you should try and preview it on your current machine, so you don't have to spend money on hardware that you didn't know was incompatible.

"Restricted boot" actually isn't the issue people make it out to be, especially if you're willing to poke around the BIOS (which, if you're installing an OS, shouldn't be much of an issue). You then have the option to either disable it (if you're just wiping the hard drive and getting rid of Windows and replacing it with Linux) or add your own signing key to the list to allow you to boot both side by side.

More generally, I've been running Linux at least half time since about 2008 (it's my primary OS, but I keep a Windows partition for gaming, which I'm slowly dropping as game support for Linux improves), and hardware compatibility is also a non-issue for the most part. Nearly all internal hardware is supported (usually out of the box) by most Linux distributions. The only time I've seen issues with compatibility are with peripherals, and for the most part, it's the extra software that isn't compatible, while the standard features are supported out of the box (keyboards, for example, most media keys are supported out of the box, while the programmable keys on a gaming keyboard might not be, due to lack of software, though there's usually an open source alternative to the software if the item's been out for a while). The only thing I've ever had issues with not working at all is with a very particular model of Brother multifunction laser printers that doesn't have drivers for Arch Linux (it is literally this one printer for this one distribution, I kid you not; the other models have drivers and Brother supplies drivers for this model for both Fedora and Ubuntu).

New Threads

Top Bottom