• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to beat the max USB cable length limit - phone charging, data transmission

All-Rounder

❃⚜uwu awoo uwu⚜❃
V.I.P Member
USB SpecificationMax. Data Transfer RateRecommended Cable Length
USB 1.0 (Full Speed)12 Mb/s3 m (9 ft.)
USB 2.0 (High Speed)480 Mb/s5 m (16 ft.)
USB 3.2 Gen 15 Gb/s2-3 m (6-9 ft.)
USB 3.2 Gen 210 Gb/s3 m (9 ft.)

How to Beat the Maximum USB Cable Length Limit

'Most communication protocols used to transfer data between computers and other devices use a signaling method called duplex, including Ethernet and USB. Devices connected in a duplex system can communicate with each other in both directions. So when a USB host sends a “packet” of data to a device connected by a USB cable, it waits for a response before sending the next packet. If no response is received, it tries sending the packet again.
Clearly, timing is very important. As the data transfer rate goes up, the USB host has less time to transmit its data packets and receive a response. The further the signal has to travel, the more likely that an error called a “late collision” will occur, so high data transfer rates typically require a shorter cable'.

4 Ways to Beat USB Cable Length Limitations​

Here are four ways to extend USB cable lengths without losing signal strength or quality.
  1. Buy a Passive USB Cable
  2. Consider an Active USB Cable
  3. Achieve Longer Distances with USB over Cat5/Cat6 Extenders
  4. Go the Distance with USB over Fiber Extenders

More details on the above link.

You can probably get away with much longer passive cables for charging, as current fast charge standards will have a peak voltage up to 20VDC, which shouldn't have too much drop across the length.

I run my FDM 3D printer on a 5M cable, and my phone charges with an extension cable, about 4M.

I do have some cables that are as long as 7M (20 feet), but I haven't been using them yet.

At work we've got three USB sound devices with USB over Ethernet (Cat5e) dongles, running back to the rack mount workstations in the server room. Those cables are about 15M. It's been like that before my time there, about 10 years. There was never a problem with those. That's item 3 on your list.

The problem I run into is I have a 3.0 USB cable for my mobile of 95cm, almost 1m.
When attaching a USB 2.0 5m extender cable to it or USB 1.0 3m USB extender cable to it the charging rate decreases considerably and it takes forever.

I wonder if a USB 3.0 would make a difference or if it's a problem that it does not activate the Turbo Charging the mobile sets on when it has its own factory cable.

I'll try it with an old extension and let you know. I'm using a 3.0 extension with the phone right now. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom