• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How NTs respond to you

NTs without experience of classic autism never ask me questions,they half heartedly listen to me and then look at my support staff and ask them who then say the same thing,like i am a child and cant possibly say anything correct,yes i have quite obvious autism and a mild intellectual disability but that doesnt mean i am thick.

I try to figure out what the social construct is that we're working with. If I can guess what it is correctly, I can communicate well with NTs. Without knowing the template, lines of communication will be crossed and confusion will result.

I hired a woman through a temp agency to help me clean. The minimum was 4 hrs.

She spent 45 minutes doing something I asked her to stop doing five times. I tried telling her five different ways to stop it. She looked right at me and kept on every time. I wanted to fire her on the spot, but figured I would just lose my money for the rest of the time.

It made me feel as if we were from different planets. Lol. Not that this was an entirely unique experience, though. Somehow reading that others are going through this sort of thing is a little comforting.

I work over to phone in order to avoid body language. It is quite restful. I began in technical support for an internet service provider. In order to best troubleshoot a problem I phrase all questions so that they could be answered with either a yes or a no.

I find it annoying when I phrase a question that should be answered with a yes or a no and get a response other than a yes or a no. Especially if the customer asks me how the question is relevant. Many customers go off on a tangent that is not helpful. I could have multiple yes/no questions queued up that could be answered in short succession.

Sometimes people misunderstand my motive or goal.

Sometimes people get confused if I skip a step in a logic chain via going from A to C, and skip B.

Sometimes I assume people know things that they do not know, especially if they are in a position of power.

No matter how many times it happens, I am always surprised when people select an option that is logically inferior, mainly concerning resource management (selecting the option that costs more for no added benefit). Trying to explain why selecting option A is superior to option B economically can be difficult as some people do not seem to understand that X + Y = Z, where X is money now, Y is money later, and Z is money total. It never ceases to astound me that people cannot see how spending thousands of dollars less over the year for essentially the same thing would be the superior choice.

Sometimes A reminds me of B, then B reminds me of C, and I start talking about C. I admit that this is an odd thing to do.

Some friends and I were playing a Star Wars board game called Imperial Assault on Saturday. One player plays the Imperials, and everyone else plays one Rebel each. Usually a goal of the Imperial player is to do enough damage to a number of Rebels to wound them. We had a rules question (if the Imperial player kills a Rebel player, then do they win). I gave an answer no, based on the logic that if the question was answered yes that it would make the game very easy for the Imperial Player to win. Everyone else wanted to look up the rule. It would seem that either people did not see this answer, or wanted to look it up to make those who did not see this answer feel better. It was a little confusing.

Last edited:
I sometimes get answers to questions I didn't ask, I believe that the NT's are 'interpreting', or reading between the lines, when I really just wanted an answer to what I had literally asked. It's frustrating, because I have to repeat the question, and don't always know how to rephrase it so that they answer the question instead of guessing at what I might have meant if I were trying to ask a question without actually asking it... particular non-question.

Some words have a connotation attached to them that is not defined in the dictionary. We tend to read the dictionary and trust that it has the definition of the word, but it does not always convey the full meaning. This could be a contributing factor.

I often get asked to re-ask my question. It flusters me because I'm not really sure how to do that. Then they answer something I didn't ask. It gets very frustrating. This mostly happens over the phone or at the doctor's office. Another reaction that irritates me is when they start talking slooooowly like I'm an idiot. I want to tell them no, I can hear you fine at normal speed.

I was reminded today why I hate doctor's appointments. I went in for a few minor things - a script repeat, leg cramps, and a DTP shot.
"A what?"
"A DTP shot - diptheria, tetanus, pertussis.. I don't think I've had one for a while, I'm probably due for one.Maybe they don't call it DTP anymore." I thought it weird that a doctor of any age would not know what a DTP shot was.

She then asked for my date of birth, hooked me up to a blood pressure monitor, wrote the script without batting an eyelid, mentioned they might be out of tetanus vaccine, was not sure how much it would cost me, and walked out of the room. Came back, noted, blood pressure (high, strangely!) without comment, and said that they had no tetanus vaccine, but they could give me a combined one.

At this point I'm thinking "beam me up Scotty!" and wondering whether I've taken a knock to the head and am in fact spouting gibberish.
"Combined with what?"
"Diptheria and whooping cough"
So a DTP shot. Not sure if I said it out loud.

So, paid,left got home and found I'd been invoiced for a Flu shot. Rang them back, and the secretary went to check. As she was, I realised, I'd got the eftpos printout for the amount I was told the DTP shot would cost, but the invoice said flu shot, which was half the price. The secretary came back and mentioned the price discrepancy, but not what I'd actually been injected with! I think she was actually going to charge me twice before I pointed it out and said I was actually more concerned with whether I'd got the injection I went in for. She brushed me off with words to the effect of Ït's all OK " and the call ended, so I could have had a Herpes shot for all I know.:confused::eek:o_O

I should temper my last post by saying that my very good dentist, which I'd been seeing for a few years, informed me yesterday, after checking and cleaning,and saying that he was happy with my teeth)that he is leaving the practice for the big smoke,:( and I had been a really good patient. (He is the only dentist I have ever seen who has told me I am taking great care of my teeth, or that I am a I am a good, let alone great patient).
So I shook his hand and thanked him, and said that I was not normally good with dentists, but that he had been really good. :)

I was reminded today why I hate doctor's appointments. I went in for a few minor things - a script repeat, leg cramps, and a DTP shot.
"A what?"
"A DTP shot - diptheria, tetanus, pertussis.. I don't think I've had one for a while, I'm probably due for one.Maybe they don't call it DTP anymore." I thought it weird that a doctor of any age would not know what a DTP shot was.

She then asked for my date of birth, hooked me up to a blood pressure monitor, wrote the script without batting an eyelid, mentioned they might be out of tetanus vaccine, was not sure how much it would cost me, and walked out of the room. Came back, noted, blood pressure (high, strangely!) without comment, and said that they had no tetanus vaccine, but they could give me a combined one.

At this point I'm thinking "beam me up Scotty!" and wondering whether I've taken a knock to the head and am in fact spouting gibberish.
"Combined with what?"
"Diptheria and whooping cough"
So a DTP shot. Not sure if I said it out loud.

So, paid,left got home and found I'd been invoiced for a Flu shot. Rang them back, and the secretary went to check. As she was, I realised, I'd got the eftpos printout for the amount I was told the DTP shot would cost, but the invoice said flu shot, which was half the price. The secretary came back and mentioned the price discrepancy, but not what I'd actually been injected with! I think she was actually going to charge me twice before I pointed it out and said I was actually more concerned with whether I'd got the injection I went in for. She brushed me off with words to the effect of Ït's all OK " and the call ended, so I could have had a Herpes shot for all I know.:confused::eek:o_O

Doctors have less time to identify an issue, than patients. I have found that some Google research is the best place to begin. Then I present the idea to my doctor. I am sometimes wrong (such as thinking that I have restless leg syndrome because I move my leg . . . feels restless to me). Sometimes she gets it wrong (like telling me that I could eat wheat while testing negative for Celiac disease), and I get it right (I am apparently intolerant to gluten). Google research is not a replacement for a doctor, but is quite useful.

New Threads

Top Bottom