• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many people know you have Aspergers?

Jacob Morrison

Hingle McCringleberry
Just wondering, how many people know you have Aspergers?

The only people that know I have it are my immediate family, my very, very close friends, and one girl with a fatal kidney problem I was trying to make feel better... (awkward)

Most people do not know I have Aspergers and probably don't suspect it. They probably just think I'm a typical socially awkward teenager. A lot of my symptoms are too personal for people to realize.

My parents and siblings know. The family i babysit for (40hrs/wk) suprisingly don't seem to have a clue. The supervisors at the grocery store i work part time at are probably suspicious by now, especially seeing as i think a coworker of mine is a diagnosed aspie. But they aren't exactly allowed to ask me and i'm not about to tell them cause i'm not even diagnosed and it would just be awkward. Relieving and awkward at the same time. I'm just self-diagnosed, and my parents agree with it. They were actually the first ones to suggest it.

My DH, my therapist, three of my pastors, four of my friends, and my small group at church (about 8 people were there that night, I think, when I shared the info).

Only a few people. I wish that everyone knew. Maybe it would help them understand me. I'm thinking about telling people.

Most of my family (excepting my Chinese family but only my Gon Gon and maybe Poh Poh know). All my friends know, my classmates in my classes, the care staff who work at school and all of my teachers know. My co workers also know.

I'm guessing that a lot of other students at my school think that I'm "strange" or suspect that there's something wrong with me because of the amount of that I've either had a meltdown or a shutdown triggered by the fire bell. And because I'm mute in certain situations and only talk to a few people.

I think I've told everyone who knows me by know. My preference is that they know why I can act in certain ways in seemingly mundane situations, and why I might refuse to accompany them etc.

I tell everyone. I figure it's better for people to know because if you feel like you have to hide it, that implies that there's something wrong with it. There's not. I think all aspies should be open about who they are.

"You can't live in fear." - Ghost Rider

Hmm... About 15-20 people know I have Asperger's, but only 50% of them accept it. Other's think I'm lucid and imagine stuff. I guess that's a plus for me, I appear normal to them.

I've only been diagnosed for a couple of years. My wife, my sister-in-law, my therapist, my doctor know. Oh, and all of you guys.

I have thought about telling my sisters, but I don't know if it would have any value. They all seem so impervious to anything outside their own bubbles. I feel I would have to explain so much to them, I'm not sure they would be able to follow along. And if they did, they would be largely mute in reply.

I have had to hold back the impulse to tell my department head, some of my co-workers. I don't think there would be much danger in that, I am well regarded and I work at a very inclusive institution and they have been supportive and accommodating to my needs and requests already. So, until there is a real need, or I want to stand up and make a statement, I'll keep my trap shut.

I have a selfish desire to talk to some of my old friends, my ex-wife about it. These are people that I have let go of, or they let go of me, mainly because I went off in my own strange directions. I would like their feedback, but only if it was helpful and positive, though I could take some not so positive feedback. I'd also like to tell a few people off. I doubt I will ever take those steps, I feel I'd rather make new friends and move on.

My husband seems to have accepted I am and is trying to work with me. One of my sister's now know and has not challenged me and one or two others, who have not laughed at me, but to be honest, it would take a bit of idiot to not recognise something different lol

I am a student at a local adult education program for people with Aspergers, so I've made many friends with ASD.

16? I think. A good number of those are mental health professionals or student services people. Plus professors, parents, friends, boyfriend, and people I randomly felt like telling.

My immediate family and most of my extended family are aware of my diagnosis, along with every psychiatrist and therapist I've ever had. Aside from that, I only mention my condition to others, if the topic somehow comes up. Most people don't make a big deal about it, because I've learned to hide my condition well over the last 15+ years.

Re-read the title.

My immediate family
My friends in the adult education class
My painting instructor

Just wondering, how many people know you have Aspergers?

The only people that know I have it are my immediate family, my very, very close friends, and one girl with a fatal kidney problem I was trying to make feel better... (awkward)

Most people do not know I have Aspergers and probably don't suspect it. They probably just think I'm a typical socially awkward teenager. A lot of my symptoms are too personal for people to realize.

In real life, I know two other people with Aspergers:
  1. A New York City Police officer who refuses to carry his gun while on duty (A VERY bad idea in that circumstance). He is a very nice and sweet man and I always wonder how he ended up becoming a cop; It does not fit his demeanor at all. I really like him but others that know him quite well tell me he is extremely compulsive/obsessive but that he hides that around me. Sadly, people go out of their way to avoid him.
  2. A young girl, 23: She also has a learning disability and ADHD. She is a problematic person at times. I do not know her very well, but from things I have seen her do and things I've heard about her, she will (and does) have a rough time in life. Her maturity age seems to be about 14-15 years old at most (And I hate to say, she will probably stay that way)

I don't tell anyone. I figure the less they know, the better. I'm in classes full of quirky people, anyway, so I don't stand out so much.

Two friends, one ex-coworker, and my mom. So far, only people who accept me for who I am anyway. Keeping track of who knows what, that's fun I guess.

New Threads

Top Bottom