• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How long until people figure out you're weird?

Emor

I don't know for me.
I used to think I could seriously fake being an NT, I just wouldn't enjoy it, so I tried at work exp. to test and completely failed :/. LOL.
At College I'm going to try and be all social too. That'll be fun. The completely mess it up on the second week or something, rofl.
But yeah. I don't know really. At confirmation(LONG story as to why I got confirmed when I hated the Catholic church) the guys sort of noticed I wasn't normal but there's probably because I made an effort not to integrate with anything and bursted out laughing every 5 minutes by something they said, etc. etc. I also sat at the other end of the table while everyone else was on the other side of the table. So IDK if that counts.
When I entered my set I was going to try and be normal, but I couldn't be bothered. Everyone seemed to know I was weird anyway. I made conversation with a few people but totally ****ed up by just talking about something I was interested in for ages >_<. I actually have a few people in the set though who I think are nice to me. They can be assholes sometimes at lunch times sometimes though, like throwing water in my face, or joining in with everyone winding me up on the wall but meh, in class they're nice.
I'm wondering if I could ever pass for normal. :/.
EMZ=]

Lol, I don't usually give people much of an opportunity to figure out i'm not 'normal'... I'm typically quiet/reserved. :p

Thought I did keep telling myself that I'd attempt some sort of reinvention when I went to college, with a character of confidence and such. Didn't work. Just sank back into being me by the second week. :p I'm not fussed anymore.

It's more for fun, but I'm also worried that when I end education I'll have no social life and live on disability and crap. My social skills are basically non-existent since entering social recluse, and while I enjoy it, I'm not gonna get anywhere :/. If I have friends irl I assume it'll help build up social skills again.
EMZ=]

True. You don't appreciate the 'stability' of social situations your fed in school life until you leave. I lost touch with a lot of 'friends' - even though they weren't good friends, we just had no reason to meet anymore (school), so they just faded away. People say that your uni friends are the ones you'll know and remember for the rest of your life. I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I'm not there yet. :p

i dont tend to talk much, so when i do is when 'they' find out im weird, i try and be social at college but im not very good so i only really talk to about 5 people

I think that the first impression that I give is of being "weird". Lack of eye contact, struggling to get a few words out, if any at all. I think that the better people get to know me the more accepting that they are, the less "weird" they see me as being. Of course there are some who always like to put you down and make you feel left out. But who needs their respect or friendship anyway?

True.

I just thought of a pretty shocking example in secondary school. So there was 180 people in my year and over the course of 5 years, you tend to get to know everyone at least a little bit I guess. Anyway, in a year 11 English lesson (final year of English school) we had to do a soliloquy that we wrote from a random character's perspective from a list of books we were given and then perform said soliloquy infront of the class - 30 or so people. I really hate this kind of things, since I have all kinds of insecurities about being paid attention and stuff. Anyway. When my turn came around I got up and shakily gave my performance. I think it was the best I could have hoped for.... and then a lot of people made a point of being 'omg wow, thats the first time I'd even heard his voice', then they started scrutinizing it. Not sure if that experience is relative to this thread, but it made me feel like a bit of an outsider. :(

How long before people figure out I'm weird? About 5 seconds. lol

No, I don't know to be honest. I think people just think I'm kooky.

For me it's sort of odd. People usually find out the moment that I open my mouth that I am weird, and then they never talk to me again. BUT, on the rare occasion that they do, they forget that I was ever weird. My friends didn't believe me at first when I told them I'd been diagnosed.

This is a funny question.
What is it supposed to mean?
There are several possibilities.

A. I am weird OR B. I am not weird.

C. Other people think I am weird. OR
D. I am clueless regarding what other people think. OR
E. I believe other people think I am weird.

So, pick A or B and combine with either C, D, or E?

This question seems to be based on an unjustified assumption.

Never, unless I choose to drop my façade and be myself. I am very good at passing. I have friends I've known for twenty years or more that have no idea I'm an aspie and, wouldn't believe me if I told them, which I never would because they are not the sort to see me as anything but retarded if they knew.

Never, unless I choose to drop my façade and be myself. I am very good at passing. I have friends I've known for twenty years or more that have no idea I'm an aspie and, wouldn't believe me if I told them, which I never would because they are not the sort to see me as anything but retarded if they knew.

Same here, I've had my weird years and these days I know to keep it reined in! That mask only comes off when a relationship is at a point when I feel I can open up a bit. Even then it's only to people who are in a similar situation, such as other mums with possibly Aspie kids. Occasionally I may wax verbose about birds or something, but I'm careful to do that around other bird lovers, who don't mind anyway!

At work I pass as NT most of the time, to make absolutely sure I won't get in any trouble (my job is very important to me since it took so long to find and get it) and most customers probably don't suspect anything unless they pursue further conversation. But in a non-work setting (especially church) I care a lot less what people think of me, so they probably sense something different about me right away, or almost right away, depending on how our conversation starts.

Most people seem to figure out very quickly that I'm "different". In High school and grade school it was the death of me. But strangely once I started college the very weirdness and quirks that made people harass me made people like me.

It was weird. One friend explained how my class viewed me one day:

"Well, at first it was a little odd because you were so uncensored and had no boundaries, but after we got used to it you became very well liked. You're refreshing compared to everyone else."

The same things happened in my other classes--especially classes that really held my interest (I like classes that deal with complexity. Social complexity, biological complexity, etc. So studies of systems and things whether social, biological, chemical, etc.). I was very good in sociology and a lot of people sought out my advice after class or asked for help w/ tests/homework and when we did our review games (I thought I left that behind in grade school but nope! Glad actually. Those are fun) there would be fighting over whose team I was on because whoever's team I was on usually won.

I also met fellow aspies.

This might be my own experiences and no one else might have similar experiences, but I think the way "weirdness" is treated tends to be different in college. It is for me.

But yeah, I very much "show" that I'm an Aspie. When I got diagnosed and told my friends, it was like "What took so long?"

I grow my hair out despite living in a very conservative area, so I think most people just don't even question it. I'm a freak from start to finish.

people regarded me as wierd from day one so for me it's normal. I made a very nice living out of being wierd so I have no complaints. As I got older I went from wierd to eccentric, I like that, think I'll keep it :)

New Threads

Top Bottom