• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How long do your special interests last?

I feel like I should clarify, I know what I want to do. I want to go into physics, I'm just struggling with the self discipline of sticking with the parts that are more difficult, like math.

I feel like I should clarify, I know what I want to do. I want to go into physics, I'm just struggling with the self discipline of sticking with the parts that are more difficult, like math.

Ah, self discipline. I don't think we can help you with that. If you want to pursue carrier in this direction, you need to stick with it. Every career has boring and frustrating parts, you won't find the perfect, ideal one.

As a child and teen, my interests would last for years, but now I notice that they tend to only stick around for a few months at a time, although some just fade in intensity.

One other thing I've pursued over the years off and on is the history of Import cars and trucks into Canada... How it's different than the import trends of the United States market... I know lots of useless facts about that... Like how the Standard Vanguard was sold in Canada from 1949 to 1961... Only sold briefly in the States for one year in 1949 with few sales... Useless facts like that and many more...

If you'd like, it'd be nice to see an overview of the pattern of special interests in your life.
They faded through my years of boozing and through a rough marriage. When that ended they came back strong. Reading, bicycling, trivia, computers, photography. It felt weird; I felt like the old me came back. Still coming back now.

If you'd like, it'd be nice to see an overview of the pattern of special interests in your life.
When I was a kid I was interested in meteorology, natural disasters , dinosaurs, politics, and 18th-19th century American and European history. Now, I love movies and am attending film school this spring.

Honestly, my special interests last a fairly long time. My special interest has been music for 17 years, so technically, I've been interested in since I was only 1 year old(Since 2000). Other highlights of my music interest are playing the piano and violin, singing, listening to music, and learning about the music theory. Also, other special interest I had for a fairly long time are anime(since 2001 or 2002) and learning new languages (since mid 2011 early 2012). I want to be able to share my interests with other people as well.

my special interest last quite a long time. currently, i am still interested in the Byzantine Empire, which has been my interest since at least 2010.
That is one of my interests--I was fascinated to know that the Roman Empire continued until 1453 (1461 if you count the last Roman territory lost to the Turks after the 1453 fall of Constantinople). Scholars in the West have a hard time calling it the "Roman Empire," though they do not make an exception for any other nation or empire that has a continuous existence throughout history.

Philosophy, of course, since I'm a philosophy professor. I'm also interested in the heart and cardiology--that is a long-term interest I've had since childhood. Other interests include theology, science, history, politics, horror fiction, and creative writing.

That is one of my interests--I was fascinated to know that the Roman Empire continued until 1453 (1461 if you count the last Roman territory lost to the Turks after the 1453 fall of Constantinople). Scholars in the West have a hard time calling it the "Roman Empire," though they do not make an exception for any other nation or empire that has a continuous existence throughout history.

basically, the Eastern Roman Empire was the best nation on earth, rivaled by maybe china. they just were in a very bad strategic position, fighting a constant two front wars, and had problems like bad emperors that made it worse. well, the fourth crusade probably didn't help. notably, its the only country i could think of that restored itself by retaking the capital.

its generally considered that if Byzantium was still around today, it would be among the more powerful countries, for its size.

For me it depends on how satisfied I am with my mastering the interest. As a kid I started drawing landscapes, then aninmals, then people. Then I moved to collecting fossils until I had a bucket of crinoids, brachiapods, trilobibtes, etc. Then I moved on to programming which is what I am doing at work. By my main interest now is genealogy because that puzzle is never finished.

Depends on the subject and how far I could get into it and how interesting I find it on base level, it used to also be gauged on what other people in my life would find interesting, like as an example I used to be obsessed with Iron Man but after seeing the bored look in everyone's eyes I decided to find a new interest. Now however it mainly depends on what I find interesting and how far I can get into it. Currently my main obsession is the history of Adult Swim.

Hope it helped

I've been interested in my main special interest, audio restoration, since I was old enough [a child] to comprehend record noise and hear what a nasty thing it is, and determine one day to be able to eradicate it.

I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out how to stick with something that I really want to succeed at. My interests last a few weeks to a couple of months and sometimes circle back around. For example, my last big one was Japanese, started it for a couple of months, went to something else, came back to it with a vengeance and made a lot of progress and then petered out again.
I can completely relate to this. I had a number of special interests when I was younger ranging from cars to gardening to religion, all of wich lasted months to years. Once I had kids my focus shifted some and I found it more difficult to concentrate on one thing at a time. When my kids were younger I would tend to take interest in things that I could research in books or online regather then physically doing. Now that they are older I have gotten back into woodworking and have gone all in. And I mean ALL IN lol. I have sold off a lifetime worth of leftovers from other interests including cars, tools, silver, you get the idea. I’m going on 3 years now woodworking and don’t see an end. I do get genuinely concerned that my interest may shift someday though. I really don’t want it too. What I have found is the more complicated the interest the longer I will stick with it. Researching the titanic for instance (I did that as well) reaches a point where there is not much more to learn. Once a subject has been mastered or at least perceived as mastered it looses its “shine”. There are so many rabbit holes to go down in woodworking that I can’t see ever reaching an end.

IMG_0096.GIF
I can completely relate to this. I had a number of special interests when I was younger ranging from cars to gardening to religion, all of wich lasted months to years. Once I had kids my focus shifted some and I found it more difficult to concentrate on one thing at a time. When my kids were younger I would tend to take interest in things that I could research in books or online regather then physically doing. Now that they are older I have gotten back into woodworking and have gone all in. And I mean ALL IN lol. I have sold off a lifetime worth of leftovers from other interests including cars, tools, silver, you get the idea. I’m going on 3 years now woodworking and don’t see an end. I do get genuinely concerned that my interest may shift someday though. I really don’t want it too. What I have found is the more complicated the interest the longer I will stick with it. Researching the titanic for instance (I did that as well) reaches a point where there is not much more to learn. Once a subject has been mastered or at least perceived as mastered it looses its “shine”. There are so many rabbit holes to go down in woodworking that I can’t see ever reaching an end.

I have a few which tend to circle. My general interests that are always there are music (I play the piano) and chromosomal, genetic and other rare disorders - whenever I have spare time in the evening or weekend and its cold or wet outside I default to watching documentaries on youtube such as Mystery Diagnosis for hours. I have others though which I class as 'collection' hobbies - They involve collecting in some way shape or form (how many can I see, photograph or find) and I become completely obsessed for a few months then they disappear but reappear a year or 2 later. these are photography, birdwatching, astronomy, and Geocaching.

I have a few which tend to circle. My general interests that are always there are music (I play the piano) and chromosomal, genetic and other rare disorders - whenever I have spare time in the evening or weekend and its cold or wet outside I default to watching documentaries on youtube such as Mystery Diagnosis for hours. I have others though which I class as 'collection' hobbies - They involve collecting in some way shape or form (how many can I see, photograph or find) and I become completely obsessed for a few months then they disappear but reappear a year or 2 later. these are photography, birdwatching, astronomy, and Geocaching.
You reminded me about Stephen Hawking and the fact that he has familial Motor neurone disease,I have never understood well how you could live for 40 years with motor neurone disease.

It really varies for me. Pokemon has been a primary special interest of mine, though there has been some fluctuation in intensity, for well over ten years now. And psychology falls into that category too. But then there are others which have come and gone. I went through a bunch of different phases as a teen, and now I sometimes get wrapped up in something new, but it tends to fizzle out after a few weeks.

New Threads

Top Bottom