• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How I do eye-contact

Occasionally people will tell me that I have great eye contact, but I think I compensate for my discomfort by fidgeting. The forehead suggestion sounds about right... I don't think people get as defensive when they notice you looking briefly at their foreheads instead of their eyes, but obviously this doesn't work with everyone.

Though on the entire topic of eyecontact, I'm not entire sure what to look for. I've looked people in the eye plenty of times but I just fail to feel a connection at all. So, the act by itself isn't the problem, it's actually the reasoning behind it that just leaves me a bit puzzled.
Yeah, I guess that's the main issue. It's also probably why none of us are really sure we do it right, because we can't eye-contact intuitively.

Yeah, I guess that's the main issue. It's also probably why none of us are really sure we do it right, because we can't eye-contact intuitively.

Heh, that's probably the big thing here. Doing things intuitively. Doing something for the purpose of doing seems a bit silly. Also; if I have to be "on guard" 24/7 to see if I do the correct things in a social context, it would make me highly paranoid and unable to actually be less tense. It would actually impair me from living a life out of fear of doing things the wrong way.

Me too, about the darting around! I actually DO have ADD, and I always figured it was from that. Do you happen to have ADD too?

I'm like 40% sure that I do, I seem to be missing a lot of the traits, it's hard to tell whether the ones I do exhibit are from a bit of ADD or just aspie stuff.

The only time I look people in the eye for more than a second is when I am going to kiss them, so this thread is worth a lot for me. Lots of awesome advice here. I tend to be having a conversation with people and they will look over their shoulder like, "What's back there that you're staring at?" so this is super helpful. I tried it today, actually. Thank you!

Edited, because I wasn't done rambling: My issue w/ eye contact is twofold. For one, it feels too intimate. Like I said, the only time I look into someone's eyes is right before we kiss romantically so it feels like the preface to that. Second, if I am working on looking into their eyes, then I am unable to focus on their words and forced to ask them to repeat themselves. So if I really want to hear and digest what I am being told, I need to look away.

Aaahh!! my therapist was trying to teach me that. A 6 second rule for starters. Over the course of a week I was twitching. I provoked conflict and creeped people out. It was like in the Addams family movie when Wednesday Addams cracked a smile at camp. I'm taking a break from eye contact; 2 words "Prescription-Shades".

Last year I had no issues with eye contact at all. I would stare people right in the eye and talk - they would often fidget and look away from me though. Meh. I'm not so good with eye contact anymore, though.

New Threads

Top Bottom