• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Have You Loved Yourself Today?

You know...the cynic in me agrees with you very very much. Maybe it's because of the mad mental state I was in during university, but to me the concept of 'loving one's self' meant "Oh, I have flaws and things I could change, but I don't want to because folks should accept me as who I am regardless." I mean...yes, and no. I do not love myself because of my flaws I have (autism or otherwise) or because of the things I've done.

I do not love myself, but working on accepting myself--the good and the bad--is a constant struggle. maybe I'm just so used to hating myself because of parental issues and overall self-image due to my upbringing. Granted, I'm happier now than I have been in years, but that has nothing to do with self-love.

I would say love--at least in this thread--is really just a synonym for care. Originally, I titled the thread, "How Have You Been Kind to Yourself Today?" I suspect this would have attracted less sarcasm and spite than the word love.

The intent of the thread is perfectly clear, and I'm not going to belabor this point for one miserable poster. He knows exactly what the thread is about (and it's not "jerking off") and knows he can avoid it. I'm not sure why some respondents are not reading the sarcasm in his posts, even on an Autism site.

If people here are bothered by the word love, I suggest they take a long look in the mirror. And ask themselves why they feel a need to socialize, and seek reactions, when they hate humanity as much as they profess.

I would say love--at least in this thread--is really just a synonym for care. Originally, I titled the thread, "How Have You Been Kind to Yourself Today?" I suspect this would have attracted less sarcasm and spite than the word love.

The intent of the thread is perfectly clear, and I'm not going to belabor this point for one miserable poster. He knows exactly what the thread is about (and it's not "jerking off") and knows he can avoid it. I'm not sure why some respondents are not reading the sarcasm in his posts, even on an Autism site.

If people here are bothered by the word love, I suggest they take a long look in the mirror. And ask themselves why they feel a need to socialize, and seek reactions, when they hate humanity as much as they profess.
I understand your frustration now. It’s such an important topic that you presented here. Something that strengthens ourselves and keeps us afloat. Kindness and love to all, even me.

Ah, I see now--that's what gets my; synonyms, and words repaced with other words to mean different things--it confuses me. But thanks for further clarifying; I like what you say in your final paragraph.

1680425912866.jpeg

Oh Huxley, you don’t have to fly in every single time someone says kindness and love! Let others have the spotlight, too please.

Just indulging in my interests. I also decided to be selfish for once and not go to see my parents for dinner. I have no energy and a lot of work due Monday.

I indulged in tight hugs , make-up kissing. Because it was pretty intense, l came home and blocked the person. My standby answer for everything in life. It was also the wrong guy. But l feel loved in a complete sense of the word, because l also cannot divulge much more.

I don't understand why others post if they don't like the post? What's not to understand?

Last edited:
I don't really do that, I think. I did order a new paint brush exentention pole today. 9 feet long, it's a big one. Getting new tools and things like that is something I enjoy but I wouldn't call it loving myself.
I feel that way about tools and blades. Your purchase will likely lead to your satisfaction, possibly happiness, so I reckon that ticks the box.

You could always buy a cake from near the grocery store.

I agree that self-care is not "jerking off".
I was raised in a family where work was paramount and self-care talk would have been frowned upon/ridiculed. It is now pretty clear to me that this type of outlook does strikingly resembles jerking off, though it can be sold as the opposite.

Also we all know what happened to Jack after he was all work and no play (sad story).

I agree that self-care is not "jerking off".
I was raised in a family where work was paramount and self-care talk would have been frowned upon/ridiculed. It is now pretty clear to me that this type of outlook does strikingly resembles jerking off, though it can be sold as the opposite.

Also we all know what happened to Jack after he was all work and no play (sad story).

It's the ones who hate other people's feelings/needs who are the touchiest, in my experience.

Today I walked in the city, donated some things (it's nice getting rid of clutter), and got extra food for lunch. I also cleaned, and now it's time to prepare for the work week, mentally. Put in earplugs and shut out the world--make sure I sleep well tonight, like last night.

One of my favourite April fool's pranks we did was on the weekend morning of April 1st, my father was going to make an omelet and we decided to replace one of the eggs with a wooden egg. Visually one could never have told the difference, but oh to remember him getting so flustered when the egg just wouldn't break against the bowl...

It makes sense you did that too if you considered him then a bad egg....It reminded me of the time my twin and I left a trail of pepperoni on the road leading to our dad's driveway, from the deli where we bought it less than three tenths of a mile away. We did this right after we left home for good. We hoped a police officer would connect the dots, or should I say pepperoni, and charge him for littering or something else :) That was not done on April Fool's Day though.

Last edited:
Went for a 5k walk in the morning. It's always nice to start the day with some exercise to get things going, since you can feel better the rest of the day.

It makes sense you did that too if you considered him then a bad egg....It reminded me of the time my twin and I left a trail of pepperoni on the road leading to our dad's driveway, from the deli where we bought it less than three tenths of a mile away. We did this right after we left home for good. We hoped a police officer would connect the dots, or should I say pepperoni, and charge him for littering or something else :) That was not done on April Fool's Day though.
Wow, that's gold! What a story :,D

New Threads

Top Bottom