• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How has being diagnosed with AS impacted your life?

now was that in the US? did your school not provide you with special assistance and individualized academic program? public grade school is required to provide all that by law in the US. This was extended from the Americans with Disabilities Act signed into law 25 years ago.

Actually, this is not just anywhere in the US, but specifically Tennessee. The relevant legislation was the IDEA, individuals with disabilities education act. My mother had to research it herself, because they did not do anything they were required to do by law. Nearly all of the things that they did do were illegal in some way. The schools here are run by ignorant and backwards people who mostly judge others based on bigoted stereotypes and won't really get to know you. A regular vein of discussion was the form of "discipline" they wanted to use, which even here they couldn't get away with. Namely, beatings. I witnessed it with a guy I came to know very well. It turned him into a vile, cruel person who ultimately tried to kill me. And I was someone he would often say was his best friend. People often say around here "You can beat your own kids, but you can't beat somebody else's." This is not normal in American culture, and we are a part of the country that usually gets laughed at. People from around here say that it's not fair, but I've seen some pretty awful stuff.

Actually, this is not just anywhere in the US, but specifically Tennessee. The relevant legislation was the IDEA, individuals with disabilities education act. My mother had to research it herself, because they did not do anything they were required to do by law. Nearly all of the things that they did do were illegal in some way. The schools here are run by ignorant and backwards people who mostly judge others based on bigoted stereotypes and won't really get to know you. A regular vein of discussion was the form of "discipline" they wanted to use, which even here they couldn't get away with. Namely, beatings. I witnessed it with a guy I came to know very well. It turned him into a vile, cruel person who ultimately tried to kill me. And I was someone he would often say was his best friend. People often say around here "You can beat your own kids, but you can't beat somebody else's." This is not normal in American culture, and we are a part of the country that usually gets laughed at. People from around here say that it's not fair, but I've seen some pretty awful stuff.
some of my friends from high school go to Southern Unuvetsity in Tennessee and they are STRICT. when I visited there I was shocked. they were treated like highschool kids. not to mention everyone there complaints that they all have been pulled over by the police. everyone I met there. maybe it's a Tennessee thing?

I have no formal diagnosis. But my family has become more patient with me and takes me seriously now when I tell them I can't do something. Nothing's really changed on the things I can do well. More of an even trade now, I guess. I still do things for them that I excel at and they cut me some slack on things I can't do.

Since my diagnosis, I've become more withdrawn socially: I no longer feel that I need or want friends or social contact, and am content to be by myself. I no longer have the energy or motivation to try to have friends or a social life, and I'm not so willing to expend the energy to tolerate other people and their social norms. I do my job, then I shut down. But I'm not sure whether this is a result of the diagnosis or the result of the breakdown I had that lead to my diagnosis.

Like others it has helped with self awareness and also helped me to find peace with my past in some ways.

I can't say it has changed my life that much as I rarely went out and had no social life before diagnosis and I was happy with this already. I have a couple of football (soccer) and music loving mates I sometimes see and that Is enough for me. (It's all we talk about).

The worst and most surprising thing is the complete and utter lack of services for autism where I live. Zero. It's disgraceful. I have to travel miles to see an autism consultant in the city, although the service I have got there has been great. I have her direct number if I need information or help with anything. They just sent me an information pack with allsorts of stuff in from local groups, good books to read, social skills IMG_00000138.jpg etc. It's good if you feel there is support there for you.

I've also been asked to take part in autism research at a University, although I'm not sure about this.

It's been a positive thing though and has really helped with self acceptance of my difficulties, quirks and foibles. :)

Mine has gotten much better because now I understand myself/my life and what I've been through, so much better. I finally understand why I never fit in and always felt like an alien despite my best attempts at acting normal. I don't see it as a terrible thing- I've always had AS and always will- it's what I decide to do with my life/myself that will make the difference. It's not a terrible sentence to me.

My life got better after I was diagnosed. I finally understood why I was having trouble with so many things and therapy helped me improve some of my issues and adapt to others.

I've decided to do things my way instead of what everyone has always told me to do, to be like all the NTs. Now I do what I consider proper and spend money on my ideas so one day I may get positive results. I am not afraid of failing, I'll always be in time to quit and be like the rest.

Peace of mind from knowing myself better. Other than that, no change. I was 62 years old when I was diagnosed, so I had already figured out the best ways for me to live my life.

To me, diagnosis is not defining, but life-changing. :)

Diagnosis at age 49 last March made it so that I could dare to peek out of my Aspie Cave to try to find the appropriate professionals to help me with the more challenging aspects of ASD as well as significant issues with self-care, communication when speech has shut off, etc. So, I'm trying to find targeted services to get supports in place to live independently, as my current supports are no longer available.

I am working hard now. It's time to learn how to manage my ASD, to make forays into the community freer from meltdowns, wandering, etc. I'm supporting my ASD turbo-mind with better nutrition, (ditched the gluten!) and learning to integrate a sensory diet into my daily activity schedule.

I'm happier in allowing myself the natural tendencies of my ASD such as routine, stimming, special interests, solitude, or socializing in ways that feel manageable. This isn't the life I'd planned, but that's okay. I'll be putting all my energy into learning better how to Aspie. :D

images

Without a diagnosis, we can be judged. With a diagnosis, we can be guided & supported to reach our full potential. :)

Last edited:
I can't remember exactly when I got diagonsed, sometime in elementary school I think. But it has always been another reason why I'm so different from everyone else, something that makes me stick out like a sore thumb. In grade school whenever I told people I had Asperger's, they would look at me funny and then treat me differently. Others would mix it up with other disorder like scksophreina. Till I found this site, the only other Aspies I met were my two brothers.

I have not been officially diagnosed, because of circumstances that do not allow for this, but I have no doubt that I am and at first it did feel liberating, because suddenly, knowing what is "wrong" gave me the confidence to pace myself without feeling that I am annoying. However, recently I have been pushing myself beyond myself and found it horribly difficult and sincerely wished I was not aspergic. It is very painful to me, to be a in social setting, with those who in other setting, I talk quite freely to, but in this particular setting, I was painful not me and hated it; didn't help that I pushed myself to go very casual and thus, wore jeans and just felt horrible wearing them. As many women say about wearing skirts and dresses, I feel this way about being casual; can't deal with it!

I honestly wish if there was a pill to be "normal", I would take it!

New Threads

Top Bottom