• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How does the mind of an illogical person work?

Libecht

Most people can think logically most of the time, but I've seen some reaching conclusion with no proper foundation of arguments and are completely unaware of it. I find it very difficult to reason/argue with these people because not only do they lack a clear thought process, they're also unable to realize their logical fallacies when I point them out. Or worse, when their counter arguments are irrelevant or don't even make sense.
What exactly is going on in their minds when they're "thinking"? Do thoughts and conclusions just pop up out of nothing? Why is logic so difficult for some? Such thought process is an enigma to me and I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited:
Obviously NTs can think logically most of the time, but I've seen some reaching conclusion with no proper foundation of arguments and are completely unaware of it. I find it very difficult to reason/argue with these people because not only do they lack a clear thought process, they're also unable to realize their logical fallacies when I point them out.
What exactly is going on in their minds when they're "thinking"? Do thoughts and conclusions just pop up out of nothing? Why is logic so difficult for some? NTs are an enigma to me and I'm genuinely curious.
I honestly don't think anyone can pin this down to specific neurology.

I'm going to step in here and ask that this doesn't turn into an NT bash for the sake of those who are a part of our forum that are not on the autism spectrum.

I have seen plenty of people on the autism spectrum that defy logic on a regular basis.

I honestly don't think anyone can pin this down to specific neurology.

I'm going to step in here and ask that this doesn't turn into an NT bash for the sake of those who are a part of our forum that are not on the autism spectrum.

I have seen plenty of people on the autism spectrum that defy logic on a regular basis.
Sorry, I tried not to generalize NTs by inserting words like "most", "some" or "many", but I see that's not enough. I'll now edit the post to target it at illogical people specifically.

Sorry, I tried not to generalize NTs by inserting words like "most", "some" or "many", but I see that's not enough. I'll now edit the post to target it at illogical people specifically.
Thank you.

Thank you.

@Nitro - I keep getting a message on my laptop when I log onto this site that a virus called "bloodhound" has been detected and quarantined by my laptop. I'm not very computer savvy but is it possible that the virus is on the website or attempting to infiltrate the website? I don't get the message when I log onto other websites.

@Nitro - I keep getting a message on my laptop when I log onto this site that a virus called "bloodhound" has been detected and quarantined by my laptop. I'm not very computer savvy but is it possible that the virus is on the website or attempting to infiltrate the website? I don't get the message when I log onto other websites.
I sent you a PM asking for details.

Illogical people think illogically. :) Yes, there are some people I know that never make any sense in their arguments. I always thought it was just lack of common sense. Not everyone has it, ya know. :)

"Some (perhaps many) people don’t know how to think. That’s different than “stupid.” Good, smart people fail at thinking, and so they appear stupid.

All the while, thinking is as simple as basic math. Literally, it is as simple as

1 + 2 = 3

Easy to understand. It flows. You can convert widgets, ideas, algebraic symbols – all sorts of things – in the logical syllogism.

A + B = C

• + •• = •••

This is logic, and it is the basic building block to thinking. Breaking down how to think into a simple equation like this is called the “logical syllogism,” and it is easy to swap the symbols with statements. Just replace the symbols with an opinion or agreed-upon fact – a proposition – and you have the syllogism. The formula is exactly the same:

Major Premise + Minor Premise = Conclusion"
People Aren't Stupid. They Just Don't Understand the Syllogism.

I think just remembering that people work with things other than logic is going to be your answer. Humans aren't very good at being logical on the whole, because we're more complex than that. I'll go out on a limb and say that everyone is illogical in certain situations.

"First: some simple syllogisms. They’re pretty easy. The major premise should make a factual claim, the minor premise brings in a variable that relates to the claim, and the conclusion should follow nicely. Real simple:

• Major: Dogs are mammals.
  • Minor: Mammals have hair.
  • Conclusion: Dogs have hair.
There are several ways to mess this up. You’d appear stupid if you do. For the sake of displaying stupidity, allow me to:

1. Claim that dogs are reptiles. Not true.
  2. Claim mammals have leathery skin. Also not true.
  3. Disassociate the minor from the major. Following “Dogs are mammals” with something like “snakes are reptiles.” The two don’t connect.
  4. Concluding without thinking through the premises. “Dogs have hair” is just as logical as “dogs are reptiles” when you don’t consider the premises.
  5. Clinging to a conclusion that does not follow. “I don’t want dogs to have hair” means nothing logically.
Messing up the syllogism is messing up the logic, and this is not the way to think through anything. This example is pretty tame. Not many people will disagree with either of the premises or the conclusion. But people think illogically all the time. "

"First: some simple syllogisms. They’re pretty easy. The major premise should make a factual claim, the minor premise brings in a variable that relates to the claim, and the conclusion should follow nicely. Real simple:

• Major: Dogs are mammals.
  • Minor: Mammals have hair.
  • Conclusion: Dogs have hair.
There are several ways to mess this up. You’d appear stupid if you do. For the sake of displaying stupidity, allow me to:

1. Claim that dogs are reptiles. Not true.
  2. Claim mammals have leathery skin. Also not true.
  3. Disassociate the minor from the major. Following “Dogs are mammals” with something like “snakes are reptiles.” The two don’t connect.
  4. Concluding without thinking through the premises. “Dogs have hair” is just as logical as “dogs are reptiles” when you don’t consider the premises.
  5. Clinging to a conclusion that does not follow. “I don’t want dogs to have hair” means nothing logically.
Messing up the syllogism is messing up the logic, and this is not the way to think through anything. This example is pretty tame. Not many people will disagree with either of the premises or the conclusion. But people think illogically all the time. "
Where does leather come from? How would you describe an elephants skin? Not all mammals have hair. Sometimes it takes more than just logic to answer something. :) Because there are always exceptions.

I don't see how anything other than logic would be required
to solve the questions.... "where does leather come from? or How would you
describe an elephant's skin?"

What non- logical process do you have in mind?

How could you answer a subjective question with logic? The texture of an elephant's skin would be very dependent on your sensory perception.

I don't see how anything other than logic would be required
to solve the questions.... "where does leather come from? or How would you
describe an elephant's skin?"

What non- logical process do you have in mind?
You used logic, right?
Dogs are mammals, mammals have hair, dogs have hair. So does that mean whales have hair?
By logic, bull mooses should not be able to stand on those spindly legs and hold up those huge antlers, but they do. So not all facts are logical.

Leathery is a texture which resembles the end product of
the tanning process. Leathery and leather are not the same
item.

Leathery is a texture which resembles the end product of
the tanning process. Leathery and leather are not the same
item.
An elephant's skin is leathery.
Here - an example of some kinds of facts that can not be based on logic. My favorite color is grey. No logic behind it.

What exactly is going on in their minds when they're "thinking"?

It's always possible that your delivery of logic might be a catalyst of sorts that intimidates some people to a point where they perceive their ego is being assaulted. If so, at that point none of their responses may appear to be the least bit logical. After all, emotions can easily cloud one's sense of logic.

Just understand that this could happen to anyone, whether they are on the spectrum or not.

I had a relative who was proud to announce that she was not logical.
This seemed important to her. It was as if she believed that being
"not logical" meant she had freedom of choice, that she was extra
creative or something.

It looked to me that she was afraid of being controlled.

New Threads

Top Bottom