• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you walk?

Do you have a non-typical gait (Walk)?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
usually i don't look how i am walking when i am in a good mood or comfortable, but when i do get cautious and nervous, i feel like people are behind me and looking at me

I used to walk on tip-toe and was made fun of because of it. It started when I was 7 and my foot hurt, and I found it was the only way I could walk comfortably. The sore foot went, but I'd got into the bad habit by then, and it took years of conscious effort to stop doing it.

I do occasionally find myself doing it now, but not often, and I stop immediately.

I'm the only server in my church, so it doesn't matter now; but when there were four of us and I had to take over the role of crucifer, I was criticised for going too fast, even though I was doing a slow march. Admittedly, the server who complained was disabled, but I do tend to walk quickly. Because I'm walking slower than usual, I can feel my feet rolling from side to side, and probably the rest of me as well; whether that's my natural slow gait or due to the weight and length of the cross (very long and unwieldy, designed for a tall man to carry in the days when only men could be servers), I'm not sure.

I've always walked with what looks to others like a bit of a limp. Also, like J.T., I tend to match my step with tiles or cement blocks. Lastly, there are times when I'm oddly self conscious about the way my arms sway and it can end up looking not very natural as a result.

However, I'm more comfortable in my own skin now and don't mind that it's different the way I walk.

I walk on the outside of my feet and am rather duck footed (my toes point outwards) which I blame ballet for. When I was a child I skipped everywhere. Literally all the time, just walking was something I couldn't do. I still skip sometimes when I'm very happy.

If walking faster than normal counts, yes. More so when I have a destination in mind, as it's like going from point A to point B with no messing around in between. That's usually due to wanting to get out of whatever crowded mess I'm in as quickly as possible. Get in, get out, be done with it.

I also do this sort of pivot on one foot at work and a few other subtle quirks when I'm in motion. It's not something that I think twice about, just doing what's natural to me. That's the way I roll...er, walk.

Last edited:
I tried waitressing and i used to spill all the water due to my bouncing when i walked. It didn't seem to make a difference if i slowed or not. I guess i kind of gallop and bounce.

When I was younger I used to walk quite weird and friends would pick up on it. Left me abit self conscious so I feel like im abit paranoid about that when I walk now. Since using headphones I find walking so much better. Have to stop myself from walking to the beat of the song though haha :joycat::joycat:

My gait is different. I'm not entirely sure what's different about it except that it's slow and not very graceful. Also, I get tired easily and have to sit down.

Hmm, I'm too conscious of how I walk. As a child I remember trying to walk quietly, and maybe more toward the balls of my foot, (that is the part just behind the toes, I think)...rather than on my heels which made it sound like thunder across our wooden floor. That may be why i have arthritis in both big toe joints now. I'm not sure that's caused by anything else but trying not to sound like Godzilla walking across the floor, lIke my dad. (That was important since im not an average sized female, or petite.) My feet are flat, and I walk with my feet in a straight forward manner, not outward or inward pointed.
My gait is uneven, and seems clumsy, to me anyway. Often trip a little on my toes hitting the ground. More so now that I'm older and arthritic, and don't pick my feet up as high. Never dragging my feet, my dad jumped on me for that enough. Annoying!

I don't know if I walk oddly, but I find myself thinking about my movement a lot. I'm always worried that I'm walking funny and people are watching and judging me. I feel like I have too much hip movement and probably overcompensate by walking stiff.
Sometimes I avoid lines in concrete or walk in tiles, but the second is harder since I've grown and my feet got bigger. It's upsetting to start the game and mess up so now I just try to ignore the lines (which is hard when you're always looking down). I walk on grass or dirt whenever possible, and like to climb up stairs on all fours when no one is looking.

I now buy 4 or 5 pairs of shoes all the same if they're good ones for me. That lessens the difficulties when they wear out. I wear down the outside back of the heel edges so must walk unevenly

Ditto that. I will wear out a pair of shoes in 2-3 months. Even the best quality of shoes. I've had a strange thing about how a shoes feels on my feet since I was a kid. If my toes feel crowded, it flips me out. Once I find a shoe that I like, changing to a different shoe feels like a life changing experience. I've noticed shoe styles change quickly. So, if I find a shoe I like, I'll also buy 4-5 pairs.

Walking is fine for me. Running is the issue. Hard to describe, but I don't run properly.

New Threads

Top Bottom