• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you comfort someone who is dealing with loss?

I kind of like tree's idea, do the things they do to help comfort you. I'm terrible with loss, either I have no emotion and feel pressured to have them, or I feel a great and terrible emptiness and sadness. I guess I must be somewhat empathetic, because if I'm around a bunch of sad crying people, I end up doing the same. Just because I can feel the good or bad energy coming from situations.

I only dealt with it sort of once, and all I really said was, "Yeah," in a sad tone of agreement to things they said, and, "I'm sorry," or maybe also, "I know..."

But if you're trying to do something that is actually helpful and not just know how to respond socially, then I guess those things wouldn't be enough.

Someone above mentioned culture and I think that's an important thing to consider, what are the cultural expectations in your area for dealing with bereaved people? TV tells me that in some parts of America when someone dies all the neighbours and friends bring the bereaved person food... If anyone around here did it would be really weird, and I would think they were an insensitive busy body putting their own need to feel important before their consideration for the bereaved persons need for privacy.

New Threads

Top Bottom