• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I start a career in hand drawn animation?

Turbocks

I am an 18 year old teenager with aspergers interested in traditional animation and hand drawn animated movies like Pinnochio or an American tail or animated shorts.

The thing is I am poor and I don't really have the funds the tools or the skills necessary to make an animated short but I do have the book called animators survival kit which is a good start when learning animation.

When school starts I will try looking for some good course in drawing which is a necessary skill especially in hand drawn animation.

I want to stay clear of any and all computer based tools like adobe animate or toonboom and instead I want to learn the art of hand drawn animation like back in the old days of disney movies before cgi started to dominate.

I am honestly quite sick and tired of how 3d animated movies dominate the animated movie industry nowadays since 2001 when Shrek came out and changed everything and made 2d animated feature length movies obsolete .

This is because it's cheap and movies from large studios looking for quick cash tend to lack a good story and characters especially Illumination's movies and Sony movies such as the emoji movie.

But yet they still spend millions on the animation and advertising to make as many kids as possible watch it to make as much money as possible.

Making animated shorts is a good start and I can do that for a while but my main goal is to eventually be able to make a movie that will be shown in theaters regardless if it's a flop or not.

Because remember even good movies can be flops but they can still get a large following such as the animated Don Bluth movie called The secret of nimh.

I have had many ideas as well for a story and characters to include such as a story I had in my head about a father suffering from depression because of the fear of losing his child to a fatal disease such as the plague.

I have always found depressing stories and dark themes in animated movies to be much more interesting when thinking of story ideas and characters than the light hearted and often times sappy and cliché movies from large studios like Sony or Illumination.

This is something you don't see that much nowadays outside of maybe pixar movies like Up or Finding Nemo or the animation community on youtube.

The only problem is that I am not sure how to put my ideas on paper and developing the story and characters
and I really need to develop my skills when it comes to working as a group of people and my poor social skills.

I am also quite sick of people who say animation is only for kids which is something I want to change especially here in Europe where it's a widespread belief.

Last edited:
I agree and check out the 2003 Star Wars clone wars. Its in the 2d style. I do support the ideas you have. The best advice i can give. Is a link on youtube to Kibble Scribble. She talks with an animator who does as a hobby what your wanting to do. Hope it helps.

You do not want a career in animation. Seriously. Zero money.

My suggestion is to start doing your own animation and do your thing on youtube while working a normal 9-5. If your animation is good you can make a lot of money online, if it isn't then you are still doing what you love. Win-win.

New Threads

Top Bottom