• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I convince my mom I need an AS specific therapist?

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
My mom thinks all therapists are the same and also thinks I have more than Asperger's. I've tried them in the past and it made things worse. I need someone with knowledge about Asperger's who won't just dismiss everything as Borderline Personality disorder.

Good luck, Kat. I have found that there are very few therapists with any AS knowledge, and those who say "yeah, I can do that" usually have counseled one AS person 3 years ago. :rolleyes::confused: I live in a city of 1.5 million, and have found it impossible to find a therapist. I spend time researching my special interests online, stuff like that.

Good luck, Kat. I have found that there are very few therapists with any AS knowledge, and those who say "yeah, I can do that" usually have counseled one AS person 3 years ago. :rolleyes::confused: I live in a city of 1.5 million, and have found it impossible to find a therapist. I spend time researching my special interests online, stuff like that.

I know. I just need something to tell my mom. I don't want to go to a regular therapist either. So I might have to lie to my mom about seeing one.

Are you in the USA? If so, what state?
(I'm guessing from the OP that you are a minor.)

Last edited:
If you're in the US, find a neurologist or a psychiatrist with an M.D. who specializes in autism spectrum disorder. Not a mere therapist.

My mom thinks all therapists are the same and also thinks I have more than Asperger's. I've tried them in the past and it made things worse. I need someone with knowledge about Asperger's who won't just dismiss everything as Borderline Personality disorder.

I started going to a therapist a couple of months ago, and I should have done that sooner knowing that I haven't been able to deal with my struggles on my own. After I described to him everything that I struggle with - anger, anxieties, loneliness, social problems, lack of common sense, bad communication, so on so on - he made me take the AQ test (scored 31 the first time and 33 the second; I do have a couple of NT qualities as I have discovered; I'm not opposed to being hugged because it shows that people care about me, won't assume that it's fake; and, I'm not interested in dates but I have been fascinated by certain types of integers). I don't find the score reliable though, it's just an approximation. From my behavior to my struggles to my AQ score, he concluded that I most certainly have Asperger's and said that a formal diagnosis is not necessary.

My plan is to make weekly visits and just have him help me work on various issues. So far we've dedicated some sessions to anxieties, and how to manage them. It's been working for some of them so far - like the "what if I accidentally touched Lysol and rubbed my eyes" anxiety; he helped me realize that if there's no evidence of that happening, like if I was only near a Lysol wipe but don't remember touching it - then I shouldn't assume that I touched it. Plus, the fact that my eyes aren't stinging either. In the past, I would go to the sink and rinse them for 15 whole minutes. Just because I MIGHT have touched a Lysol wipe and then rubbed my eyes. He told me to focus on "what IS", not "what if". It does take TIME to master this though; and for some anxieties it takes slower to apply this method than for others. See this for more info - Managing Anxieties - the FLOAT Method.

Another thing we've been working on is being needy and clingy. I managed to FINALLY make some friends and I've been expecting too much from them. I've bulk-texted them every day and asked to hang out every weekend. My doc told me that hanging out twice a month is good enough, and advised that I text them sporadically. I've been doing that so far, but some of that neediness might just come back if I don't see them for a very long time - I need to see them, I need to be with them. I cannot afford to be lonely again! But in the general case, I've been able to tone it down with them.

He also gave me some general tips, like wearing my dress shirts without buttoning the top and not making weird grimaces whenever I'm nervous or embarrassed. He told me to practice it in the mirror and that's what I've done. He's happy when he hears that I may have still made such a grimace, but was able to acknowledge it. He also gave me a book to read on what to do if I'm dating (or married to) an NT woman. Not once have I ever gone on a date, and I'm almost 30 years old - and still never been in a relationship. I don't want to push any future gals away and feel lonelier than ever before, so I gave that book a try.

We're in the process of focusing on the way I react to people, that's actually one of my worst qualities. We're just getting started. It's been promising so far, and I want him to have the golden key to my success in life - because right now I'm still struggling. That FLOAT method did work for some anxieties, and I like it. He even told me to add in an extra letter "I" to the beginning - "IFLOAT" = "I Float". The I stands for "Identify", aka identify a thought as intrusive before applying the rest of the approach.

Anyway, while I feel that visiting this therapist is doing something to me, I will keep visiting him as long as I need to. I just hope he's able to make me less angry and less emotional...otherwise I'll continue to push away the people I care about most. I cannot afford to let that happen forever. I want to know that I'm improving, but God forbid someone tells me that I'm not improving...I'd start hating them forever for not believing in me.

Would your mom read something that you found online?

Can you pinpoint an area that interests her that surrounds that topic?

I ask, because much to my surprise, my husband REMINDED me to post a link on what sexual abuse does to a person and he took the time to read the link too. Well, of course, because he is a highly sexed man and hates it when we are not intimate and I was going through a "trigger" moment. But it got me cogitating about it all and thought: that is how I can do it. So, he cannot stand my meltdowns; he thinks that they are outrageous for a grown woman.

Maybe what you need to talk about with the therapist is your mother?

Because it sounds like she is trying to decide what reality is for you; and demanding that you see things that way?

Ask your mom: if you broke your leg would you want to see an orthopedic surgeon or a generalist?

Sure, they're both doctors, but I know who I'd pick. It's no different for therapists.

Are you in the USA? If so, what state?
(I'm guessing from the OP that you are a minor.)

I'm in the US, and 30 years old, but my mom might threaten to withhold paying for driving lessons again if I don't see a therapist.

Would your mom read something that you found online?

Can you pinpoint an area that interests her that surrounds that topic?

I ask, because much to my surprise, my husband REMINDED me to post a link on what sexual abuse does to a person and he took the time to read the link too. Well, of course, because he is a highly sexed man and hates it when we are not intimate and I was going through a "trigger" moment. But it got me cogitating about it all and thought: that is how I can do it. So, he cannot stand my meltdowns; he thinks that they are outrageous for a grown woman.
No, she won't ready anything I send her and I was never sexually abused.

Maybe what you need to talk about with the therapist is your mother?

Because it sounds like she is trying to decide what reality is for you; and demanding that you see things that way?

Pretty much. She thinks I'm depressed but she and every therapist I've had before won't listen when I tell them why.

Ask your mom: if you broke your leg would you want to see an orthopedic surgeon or a generalist?

Sure, they're both doctors, but I know who I'd pick. It's no different for therapists.

My mom would just argue that's not the point and we're talking about therapists, not doctors. I would get no where with her.

I'm in the US, and 30 years old, but my mom might threaten to withhold paying for driving lessons again if I don't see a therapist.
The reason that I asked was maybe you could initiate contact and ask someone to speak to your mom on your behalf.

If you can, I would highly recommend The Autism Society of America. They have local affiliates in most states.

Or you could find a therapist through them that your mom is willing to sign off on.

I tried that once before but all the therapists in my area only treated kids.
I have run into that before, too. (One of them was willing to take me on the short-term.)

You may have to be willing to forego your drivers training to stand your ground on this, then.

I could probably offer more specific help, if I knew which state/county you were in.

I have run into that before, too. (One of them was willing to take me on the short-term.)

You may have to be willing to forego your drivers training to stand your ground on this, then.

I could probably offer more specific help, if I knew which state/county you were in.

I'm in Cincinnati Ohio, but all the therapists there only either take kids or are not on the bus line.

...all the therapists there only either take kids or are not on the bus line.
Are you on Medical Assistance? If so, does your area have non-emergency medical transport services that are covered by it? (We have that in northern WI.)

If all of these are true (or your other insurance covers transportation expenses), you can broaden your search for a specialized counselor. (Mine is 40 miles away.)

Are you on Medical Assistance? If so, does your area have non-emergency medical transport services that are covered by it? (We have that in northern WI.)

If all of these are true (or your other insurance covers transportation expenses), you can broaden your search for a specialized counselor. (Mine is 40 miles away.)

No, the closest thing is this service for people in wheelchairs.

In such a situation, sometimes the only thing to do is:

Avoid Impossible Tasks

It might be impossible for anyone around you to listen to you because you are "not an adult" in their eyes and so they don't have to consider your ideas or insights.

It sounds like you have studied the situation and have concluded the only thing you can do is convince your mother, and yet, that doesn't sound like a possible task.

So let yourself off the hook of the Impossible Task and just do the best you can. If you want driving lessons, go to the therapist, be honest, and if they don't like it, tough.

By always being honest with yourself you will do yourself more good even if the therapist is not that helpful.

Find the truth about yourself and hang onto it. That's what will help the most, I have discovered.

New Threads

Top Bottom