• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How about adding a "HUG" button, or does the "Friendly" cover that already?

Tia Maria

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Just throwing out the idea since a few times a virtual hug - platonic, from an Auntie or friend - seemed appropriate. ????

I'm on the fence. I've sometimes wanted to say something that was more supportive than Friendly with a different flavor than Like. I'm getting around it with Friendly and a comment. I actually struggle a bit with Optimistic, because I don't know if it will be understood as a very gentle form of disagreement (ie, "I think that's optimistic") or as an affirmation of positive energy (ie, "I feel optimistic myself on reading the post.") So I avoid it. Sorry to go off-topic, it's just been on my mind for a while.

I'm on the fence. I've sometimes wanted to say something that was more supportive than Friendly with a different flavor than Like. I'm getting around it with Friendly and a comment. I actually struggle a bit with Optimistic, because I don't know if it will be understood as a very gentle form of disagreement (ie, "I think that's optimistic") or as an affirmation of positive energy (ie, "I feel optimistic myself on reading the post.") So I avoid it. Sorry to go off-topic, it's just been on my mind for a while.

I see 'Optimistic' simply as being supportive.. no negative energy there at all :) I always consider before clicking; I don't just 'Like' everything, I like the idea of people appreciating a 'Friendly' or whatever.
The one that bugs me is 'Informative' as it's a bit dry.. when I want to say "Wow, that's really interesting". :D

I see 'Optimistic' simply as being supportive.. no negative energy there at all :) I always consider before clicking; I don't just 'Like' everything, I like the idea of people appreciating a 'Friendly' or whatever.
The one that bugs me is 'Informative' as it's a bit dry.. when I want to say "Wow, that's really interesting". :D
Haha that made me laugh! The 'dry' informative button! Possibly also because I have clicked that quite a bit!! :D "Wow, that's really interesting" is far better!!!! :)

Just throwing out the idea since a few times a virtual hug - platonic, from an Auntie or friend - seemed appropriate. ????

I'd been thinking that it would be good to have a hug button. Sometimes I would like to express sympathy and caring for the person posting but I'm not confident in my ability to express it through words in the form of a post, so a 'hug' button would be a suitable way of doing that.

I'd wondered if people that aren't comfortable with a physical hug would feel uncomfortable being given virtual hugs? and that perhaps they wouldn't identify with it as a postive thing? This got me thinking if there were some alternative to a virtual hug and I wondered if a 'cup of tea' button could work.

I'd wondered if people that aren't comfortable with a physical hug would feel uncomfortable being given virtual hugs? and that perhaps they wouldn't identify with it as a postive thing? This got me thinking if there were some alternative to a virtual hug and I wondered if a 'cup of tea' button could work.
It's generally accepted in AC culture that giving a "*HUGS*" (or however it's phrased) implies a chaste, contact-free virtual hug. :)

So *hug* is just a fiction?
And ((hug)) is also fiction?
There is no contact implied by either?
This seems sad, to me.

No wonder I don't take hugs from the Hug Bank.
I don't want pretend hugs.

This seems sad, to me.

tree

Then, if you'll permit it, please accept a real one. From me. I have never told you how much I value your presence and your posts. I don't think writing this rectifies that, but it's a start.
Warm regards,
A4H

I like Vinca's idea of a "cup of tea" button... That conveys sympathy or caring and is distinct from the "friendly" button and from (((HUGS))).

Just my two cents.

This seems sad, to me.

I agree with Aspergirl4hire, I greatly value your presence here and love your posts and humour, tree, please accept a real hug from me too :)

and a real hug from me too tree

ahug-247x300.jpg

I wish I could use a (((HUG))) or a cup of tea button to show sympathy in real life... I am uncomfortable with real hugs, but I want to show people that I really do care. It's hard. Just because I don't want to hug someone doesn't mean I'm heartless...

So tree, if I were a hug giving person I would offer you a real hug... But will you accept my Aspie version of (((HUG)))? I mean it with all sincerity. I am enjoying the word games in the other threads. :)

The friendly button causes me the most anxiety because I always worry that it's just the...pity button, or something. And I feel like if someone marks my post friendly, there was no content of value in it but people are just going, "Aw, sucks to be you, here is a sympathy point." I recognize that this is completely paranoid. And when I mark posts friendly, I am sometimes being totally literal, as in "This person is so kind and friendly!" and sometimes I use it for the equivalent of "hug" but it bothers me slightly that I can't differentiate the two. But then I think if I could, I might be more paranoid because then I couldn't hope people were being literal--I'd know it was the sympathy point. But maybe not if it's called "hug." I like hugs.

Yeah, I worry too much.

New Threads

Top Bottom