• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Homemade Butter

I unfortunately have no experience with making butter, but I hope you enjoy it and have fun!
I would love to see pictures and hear your stories about your experience afterwards (if you feel comfortable.)
Thank you, Luca, for your kind words! I will definitely share a photo, and let you know of my experience. : )

I used to live on a farm and we had a Jersey cow (high butterfat milk) and we made butter from the cream. We bought an antique glass butterchurn and used it successfully for years.

It takes a lot longer than you think before it starts to turn. It helps to have the cream at room temperature. After the butter forms, drain off the buttermilk. Then you rinse the butter of the buttermilk with running water. You have to kind of squeeze it, sort of like kneading bread to get all the buttermilk rinsed away. Form into a lump or ball - or use a fancy butter mold. Chill.

I used to live on a farm and we had a Jersey cow (high butterfat milk) and we made butter from the cream. We bought an antique glass butterchurn and used it successfully for years.

It takes a lot longer than you think before it starts to turn. It helps to have the cream at room temperature. After the butter forms, drain off the buttermilk. Then you rinse the butter of the buttermilk with running water. You have to kind of squeeze it, sort of like kneading bread to get all the buttermilk rinsed away. Form into a lump or ball - or use a fancy butter mold. Chill.

Jersey cows have a lot of merits for agriculture--great producers, easy to work with, all that--but they're also adorable. Congratulations on having probably the world's favorite milk cow.

While we wait for an update on Lorens buttery adventure, here's a several hundred year old manuscript with a drawing of a cat churning butter. :) From the Book of Kells.

cat.png

Last edited:

Thank you. I appreciate you sharing this, WhitewaterWoman.

Kirk: "Homemade butter! Wonderful!"
Spock: "Fascinating, Captain."
Kirk: "Spock, does that mean you approve?"
Spock: "Affirmative, Captain."
Kirk: "So Spock, are you a fan of margarine as well?"
Spock: "I see no need for you to insult me, Captain."
Kirk: "Right."

Hi All. The butter experience was good. I used an electric hand-mixer, as per Magna's suggestion, I believe, and followed YeshuasDaughter's instructions. Thanks, again, for the suggestions, and everyone's interest and words of encouragement. I have attached a couple photos. They are a bit rustic looking, as I could have done a bit more shaping (which I did with parchment paper).
371B8D9C-AE50-48E5-8291-017099434B78.jpeg
969A9CFB-7B22-4852-9CA8-B622FA686AC9.jpeg

Oh, strange. I resized them, and they posted upside down.

New Threads

Top Bottom