• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

High Pitched Sounds and Overstimulation

Raisedbywolves

I have a problem with bright lights and high pitched sounds, including soprano musicians. I like altos, because the voices are soothing and soft.

Also I cannot handle led lights- much too bright! Florescent are a nightmare too. Thank the Lord that they still sell incandescent bulbs. The 60 watt, full spectrum bulbs are a relief for my eyes. Also full spectrum bulbs are good for S.A.D.

Anyone else get overestimated by these kind of things?

==================================================
One of my favorite cures for overstimulation is to lie down in a darkened room listening to this video. I play it on the cell phone with the screen facing downward so that I don't see the bright light.

Also I usually play it so quietly that I can barely hear it. Just nice, low pitched, calm sounds that relax me. It doesn't hurt that they're singing about God too.

So soothing during a bout of overstimulation.

Yes! Exactly the things you mentioned - high-pitched sound and LED lights - especially blue ones. Incandescent bulbs are a lot better. Kids screaming, vacuum cleaners and the washing machine, the supermarket scanner beeping, knives and forks on plates are literally painful. Way too loud.

Another thing I have problems with is special effects in videos, TV shows and documentaties. Sound effects that sound like static or steel on steel, and flashing white screen between frames. Can't stand it.

Really like gregorian chant, it calms me everytime. Also don't like bright lights or high-pitched sounds, pretty much move away from anything like that. I listen to music like this much of the time, especially when I'm anxious or stressed.

Lights can be a nightmare. I am more tolerant of sounds. Just struggle with competing sounds or unpleasant sounds like a bad Soundsystem or poor skills or bad mixing of the sound. I am very sensitive to sound since one of my gifts is music related. It's been helpful but frustrating at times. I employ the method of using headphones to listnl to music I like and just kind of tune out the world. Sunglasses are my savior for bright lights. I haven't found another solution for being blinded or overwhelmed by lights. I love Gregorian chants and Tibetan bowls. I also like trip hop the rythmn to be very soothing. 80bpm music is good for relaxing and focusing for me.

I just love that music, I am going to save the two that are here. I have a lot of ambient music on my favorites list. One of my favorites is "Endless River" by Pink Floyd.

I also do not like florescent lights. They are way to bright and are usually are overhead. I wear glasses, so I have a good set of clip-ons that are very dark. These are my "Walmart" glasses. However, I rarely ever wear them outside. The sun does not bother me as much.

Loud, sudden noises startle me. I have spent a lifetime working on equipment in warehouses. The warehouse workers drag pallets around on their side quite often. When they get them where they want them, they just drop them. When the pallet hits the floor, they make a very loud SMACK! That is when I about jump out of my skin. Over the years that has happen to me many,many times at many different warehouses.

Florescent lights and blue LEDs bother me. Hitched sounds also, though I am usually okay with sopranos. It's whiney high pitch that I hate and the sounds made by power tools. Loud and sudden noises are bad and so are some smells. I jump and startle very easily.

My eye doctor told me today that wearing rose or lavender tinted glasses help with the overstimulation
better than any other colour.
I've known that for years and always get my glasses in that tint.
First time I have seen this doctor so she wouldn't know I always use this colour.
And she was the first doctor to tell me that colour tint is what I need.

I can't stand those blue LED lights, anything flashing like a strobe effect and bright sun.
I do wear amber brown sunglasses when I want a darker shade.
Also I found I can't wear polarized sunglasses and drive.
There is some light filtering effect that when I look through the tinted windows of the car
with polarized lens I see a checkerboard pattern and rainbow mixed colours.
The doctor said there are very few people who can actually see this even though that's how the light
breaks down with tinted windows through polarized glasses.

Also I have difficulty in shopping the big box stores.
I get rather dizzy and spacey. My ENT doc said it is due to all of the mixed stuff going up to the ceiling
on the shelfs, (too much visual input), combined with a lot of mixed noise in there too. (audio input)
When both are overloaded it gets mixed up in the brain.
Learning new things all the time.

I have a problem with bright lights and high pitched sounds, including soprano musicians. I like altos, because the voices are soothing and soft.

Also I cannot handle led lights- much too bright! Florescent are a nightmare too. Thank the Lord that they still sell incandescent bulbs. The 60 watt, full spectrum bulbs are a relief for my eyes. Also full spectrum bulbs are good for S.A.D.

Anyone else get overestimated by these kind of things?
Yes for sure. I was finally able to identify a body feeling that loud noise sometimes gives me a few days ago, after many years. It's like the chakric energy centre point in my solar plexus actually jumps! It's totally physical. That is where I also feel other anxiety symptoms too...A pain there....A wobbling there when feeling lost /disoriented.

Very much so! Sunglasses are my best friend and when I have misplaced them, I panic.

As for sounds. Well, our front door, when not closed properly, makes this awful sound and so, seeing how I react to it, my husband has removed the metal plate and now it is a dull sound, which I can cope with.

I have sunglasses in Brown's and blues and greens. Actually, they are sort of a collection.

And hats too.

I prefer natural light to any other and detest fluorescent lights.

Irony, movie sound effects will probably become a passion [special interest] soon. I like them as long as I pick the movie and when to watch them.

I hate high-pitched notces and squeaky voices.

I also dislike very much the soprano voices. I started wearing ear plugs when I am in the Church and some people start singing:confused: But I like Church music, specially Byzantine.

About the bright lights I also dislike them and that is probably one of the reasons why I am always looking down to the floor. But natural sunlight I enjoy.

When I go shopping I always know in advance what I need so that I can come in, buy what I need and leave quickly.

Sudden noises I learned to handle by completely ignoring, I think I became completly desensitized.
But one sound I really dislike is the sound of footsteps in the upper rooms of the house :eek: The ear plugs can not silence them...

New Threads

Top Bottom