• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi,

JohnNaylor

I'm John. 33 from Leeds, England.
I was officially diagnosed two days ago with Aspergers/autism.
I work as a chef. I enjoy reading, films and music (just not too modern or too loud).
I joined this site to maybe get some extra insight into my condition. I will answer any questions (within reason) I am asked but I will not always give a quick reply due to work.

Thank you for the welcome. I am just having a look around now. I thought it was better to post a picture of myself just to let you know I am real and not just a spambot.

for some it can take time before they post a picture of them selves. For a while I had an avatar of my interests.

I think I am so used to seeing my pictures on social media it just makes more sense to just add it to which ever site or forum I join. I can understand why others would be hesitant to post a picture but to me it is just an image.

I'm John. 33 from Leids, England.
I was officially diagnosed two days ago with Aspergers/autism.
I work as a chef. I enjoy reading, films and music (just not too modern or too loud).
I joined this site to maybe get some extra insight into my condition. I will answer any questions (within reason) I am asked but I will not always give a quick reply due to work.

Hello. I also am new to the site. I just discovered this may be what I have been living with for so long. I'm curious how you were presented to undergo screening for your diagnosis. I have made an appt to get screened myself. How did you present this to your DR? Or they bring it up to you? What is it like to undergo screening? I apologies for the interrogation :)

I first consider I was Aspergic (and my diagnosis is autistic/Aspergic despite most of the world phasing out Aspergers as a diagnosis) from a talk on Facebook with a friend who's daughter is autistic. She suggested that I should consult a doctor about a possible diagnosis.
At the doctor's appointment I asked for a referral for an autistic diagnosis. The doctor looked at my medical history (depression etc.) and only asked questions on why I felt I needed a referral. I stated my lack of social skills and lack of eye contact. I tried to keep it to point. This was in May 2013.
I waited nearly nine months for a reply which came in the form of questionnaires and forms to fill in. There was also a questionnaire for a parent to fill in (someone who knew you as a child would suffice). These had to be returned in two weeks as the appointment for an assessment was included (for February 2014) along with a passport photo.
At my February appointment I had to take a relative so I took my mother. There was only one doctor present and most of the questions were based on my childhood between being born and being seven years old. I did not have answer many questions at all at this one and at the end the doctor said he would make a report for his colleagues.
I waited three months and after one postponed appointment I had my second assessment on Thursday.
I attended alone and there were four doctors in the room. After a few questions I was assigned some tasks. Putting shapes together, reading and describing a picture, a childrens storybook which I described in a lot of detail, another story based on cards and I had to make up a story based on 5 objects from a bag. After a few more questions I was asked to leave the room for ten minutes.
After I got back in there were only a couple more questions then one of the doctors said they could confirm my diagnosis. They said I would get another appointment with their team to discuss ways to help me in the future and written confirmation of my diagnosis. They also said they were surprised I had not been diagnosed a lot earlier in life but I had adapted well due to being 'clever'.
They then asked if I would consider attending a meeting to maybe help others in the future with late diagnosis and to undergo Q and A session from doctors to help others to get diagnosed. I agreed to this.
I hope this answered your questions and if you have any follow up questions I will try to answer them after work. If I am too tired today it might be Monday I answer as I am on a 14-15 hour shift tomorrow.

Last edited:
I first consider I was Aspergic (and my diagnosis is autistic/Aspergic despite most of the world phasing out Aspergers as a diagnosis) from a talk on Facebook with a friend who's daughter is autistic. She suggested that I should consult a doctor about a possible diagnosis.
At the doctor's appointment I asked for a referral for an autistic diagnosis. The doctor looked at my medical history (depression etc.) and only asked questions on why I felt I needed a referral. I stated my lack of social skills and lack of eye contact. I tried to keep it to point. This was in May 2013.
I waited nearly nine months for a reply which came in the form of questionnaires and forms to fill in. There was also a questionnaire for a parent to fill in (someone who knew you as a child would suffice). These had to be returned in two weeks as the appointment for an assessment was included (for February 2014) along with a passport photo.
At my February appointment I had to take a relative so I took my mother. There was only one doctor present and most of the questions were based on my childhood between being born and being seven years old. I did not have answer many questions at all at this one and at the end the doctor said he would make a report for his colleagues.
I waited three months and after one postponed appointment I had my second assessment on Thursday.
I attended alone and there were four doctors in the room. After a few questions I was assigned some tasks. Putting shapes together, reading and describing a picture, a childrens storybook which I described in a lot of detail, another story based on cards and I had to make up a story based on 5 objects from a bag. After a few more questions I was asked to leave the room for ten minutes.
After I got back in there were only a couple more questions then one of the doctors said they could confirm my diagnosis. They said I would get another appointment with their team to discuss ways to help me in the future and written confirmation of my diagnosis. They also said they were surprised I had not been diagnosed a lot earlier in life but I had adapted well due to being 'clever'.
They then asked if I would consider attending a meeting to maybe help others in the future with late diagnosis and to undergo Q and A session from doctors to help others to get diagnosed. I agreed to this.
I hope this answered your questions and if you have any follow up questions I will try to answer them after work. If I am too tired today it might be Monday I answer as I am on a 14-15 hour shift tomorrow.

It does answer my questions. I am already on ssi in the US for other problems, but I think after informing myself on this way of thinking, it has certainly made a lot of sense as to what the real issue is with me. It makes me sad I waisted so much time being ignorant of asperges and now that I have the information it's all too clarifying to me at the same time. I have talked in the past to my GP about possible add/adhd before but she said it's possibly due to being a new single mother at the time.Actually having a newborn put me on an ancored schedule. Which has brought structure for me tremendously and helped more than I predicted. I still have trouble connecting with the other kids NT parents. I also don't think a lot of parents are that great do to the things i notice like the way they speak at the children, makes me angry and sad sometimes as i speak very sweetly to my daughter and explain EVERYTHING to her. She is very advanced at vocabulary and she just turned 2. I really can't stand parents on their cell phones texting while me and my daughter play with their kids. I can't understand this particular behavior. I'm tired from being a parent too AND having to interact with people. But maybe playing with my kid is very important to me :) There are very good parents i have seen however and its beautiful. We have been called this ourselves when i was carrying her on my shoulders once. Sorry for the ramble. Blahblahblahbkahblsbdbdhs. :)

syst3mcas3
I think the fact you are already a parent will help you with your assessment. If it is the same as the one here (or similar) then maybe it will give you some play ideas with your daughter too. I am glad if I helped even a little :)

New Threads

Top Bottom