• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi

Dont be sorry.That was my experience for a while as well actually.and also people comparing me to people who cannot or do not know how to mask their traits.so i got alot of " you dont look or act autistic" and "but you werent that way before,why all of a sudden are you this way now?"(i forced myself not to stim or enjoy my interests out of fear of being judged and masked 24/7 even alone until it became voilent and not enjoyable) its just ignorance and i myself am also ignorant for the most part.i did try forcing my family to understand lol..but yeah in the end they accepted it when i got the informal diagnosis.discrimination is still prevalent sadly.i personally think the more introverted you are,the more traits you have.but! It doesnt mean you are actually autistic.but again i have not spoken to an expert in autism just yet.maybe they will have a difference of opinion and educate me on the reality of it.google is useful but not a great teacher all the same,which is why i am so interested in speaking to fellow aspies or autists lol..whatever the affectionate term is.i am as ignorant as a child as socrates was wont to say haha again i would love to hear your opinions in great detail..might change my view?
i experienced it in the same way, i tried telling my family too. it didn't work out for the most part, everyone tried but they just shoo it away as a "just madi" thing (my nickname). i thank you for being so open about this, i was expecting to be met with resistance. i don't know if asking an expert on autism is the best idea, they might not know the relevance of the phrase "everyone is autistic." i only say that because i had a similar experience when i explained people i knew also got diagnosed with support levels 1,2,3 i asked if i could have a level too. he was confused and said the levels weren't relevant. i understood it as not being knowledgeable about the topic but then again im not too sure, it is a personal choice whether or not you ask. i do also agree with your opinion about society seeing the more closed off you are the "more autistic" you seem. there's nothing wrong with being interested as well! (the term aspies and autists both are okay however it is dependent on what the person aligns with.) im quite opinionated about a lot of things, but i do try my best not to cause conflict. :blush:

Did you all know the facts before discovering the truth if it? I am very confused.and feel a bit foolish.
Can anyone link me good articles on what autism is and isnt.the ones i used were mainly surface level stuff and obviously alot of opinion pieces.ive been mislead it would seem
awe, im sorry i didn't mean to make you feel foolish. :sob:

i suppose i have done my research, i spent two years gathering information through articles, social media pages, and youtube videos about autism. i filled out a packet identifying common traits of autism to show my psychiatrist, i feel like i have to always prove myself haha.

i can definitely give you some resources later, unfortunately i don't know them off the top of my head i apologize. :blush:

i experienced it in the same way, i tried telling my family too. it didn't work out for the most part, everyone tried but they just shoo it away as a "just madi" thing (my nickname). i thank you for being so open about this, i was expecting to be met with resistance. i don't know if asking an expert on autism is the best idea, they might not know the relevance of the phrase "everyone is autistic." i only say that because i had a similar experience when i explained people i knew also got diagnosed with support levels 1,2,3 i asked if i could have a level too. he was confused and said the levels weren't relevant. i understood it as not being knowledgeable about the topic but then again im not too sure, it is a personal choice whether or not you ask. i do also agree with your opinion about society seeing the more closed off you are the "more autistic" you seem. there's nothing wrong with being interested as well! (the term aspies and autists both are okay however it is dependent on what the person aligns with.) im quite opinionated about a lot of things, but i do try my best not to cause conflict. :blush:
Lol dont worry about conflict.i crave correction.i still know very little indeed.there is an urge to have everyone be the same but thats not realistic...i did actually feel..put down when they told me everyone is on it.for the reasons you and the other person said.i have been lying to myself..that i could be "normal" like everyone else.well if that were the case then i wouldnt be autistic lol!!! Wouldnt life be so much nicer if we were all the same? Ilogical notion.i still want to be "normal" though..so that life would be easier but thats hardly realistic,i am what i am.again i dont mind correction.i am just confused and not being very logical at all.going by feeling which isnt natural for me.always make a fool of myself by trying.

awe, im sorry i didn't mean to make you feel foolish. :sob:

i suppose i have done my research, i spent two years gathering information through articles, social media pages, and youtube videos about autism. i filled out a packet identifying common traits of autism to show my psychiatrist, i feel like i have to always prove myself haha.

i can definitely give you some resources later, unfortunately i don't know them off the top of my head i apologize. :blush:
No problem

Lol dont worry about conflict.i crave correction.i still know very little indeed.there is an urge to have everyone be the same but thats not realistic...i did actually feel..put down when they told me everyone is on it.for the reasons you and the other person said.i have been lying to myself..that i could be "normal" like everyone else.well if that were the case then i wouldnt be autistic lol!!! Wouldnt life be so much nicer if we were all the same? Ilogical notion.i still want to be "normal" though..so that life would be easier but thats hardly realistic,i am what i am.again i dont mind correction.i am just confused and not being very logical at all.going by feeling which isnt natural for me.always make a fool of myself by trying.
the word "correction" isn't necessarily it's just a personal opinion. i do know people who think the phrase "everyone is a little autistic" is okay and comforting from others, but unfortunately it isn't a very popular view with the people ive interacted with. haha, i do agree as well i crave normalcy too but yes, it is not realistic. being autistic is apart of who we are, it makes up our personality, likes, and dislikes. i like viewing it as "yes i do have meltdowns when things in my life change but i am SO passionate about my interests i love that about myself." there is also nothing wrong with not being logical sometimes!

Last edited:
@aladdinsane

Also my comment was not directed at you my friend . Was just my frustration with society. Sure there are lots of books I can recommend. And if you don’t like reading most are available in audiobook form .

Did you all know the facts before discovering the truth if it? I am very confused.and feel a bit foolish.
Certainly not there is very much to learn . And the science has been advancing very well the last 10 years . And there is always something more to learn .

I have read 25 books so far about autism , and like to listen to lots of lectures by the worlds leading psychologist etc.

And I am learning something new everyday.

You are @ the right place for learning . There are plenty of resources and information here ,also lots of knowledgeable people and also plenty of personal stories . My social and writing skills are not the best @ describing certain topics . There are plenty of more advanced people on here socially with better writing skills for comprehension.
But I would be happy to share with you the books I have read .And some information that was given to me by my psychologist.

My mind seems to be occupied usually with the language of music .

oh goodness, people are so uneducated about autism it baffles me.
why say something you can't back up the reasoning with, at a logical standpoint it makes zero sense.

i have no clue how it formed either, i wish instead of people using it to invalidate our struggles they took the time to research and understand what autism is and how it affects the specific individual. it makes me so irritated. :triumph:
I agree , this thought process to use in one’s existence seem very odd to me .

Welcome!

An excellent starting point for resources would be

And of course, we've got our own resources section here, with many reviews of various websites, books, and other things you may find useful.

New Threads

Top Bottom