• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi

BananaInc

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums and found it after seeking some "guidance". I've never opened up to literally anyone before so this post might be a bit rambling but I think it's for the best as it's a way of "self-assurance" for me! I also have a question at the end

As of now, I consider myself self-diagnosed with Asperger's. I didn't know much about autism as a whole until I met a person online who said he had Autism. Long story short, I did research and learned that Asperger's may be the solution to my sideways life.

In elementary school, I had known most of what I was learning already because I was using the computer by then and I love to just look at random things on Wikipedia whenever they occur. Although this made school easy, it was almost too easy in that I never knew what it was like to struggle. Now that I'm a senior, I've been going years without learning how to deal with social situations and problems life throws at me. My parents think I do fine, but to be honest, I get emotionally drained just from trying to understand the world. I find girls attractive, but I just lack the drive to even try. Even when I'm alone with a good friend, I just can't find anything good to talk about because it all sounds bland! I tend to rely on others to talk and I just chime in when I find something good to say. My worst feature is that I sometimes just want to be completely alone and not talk to anyone even if my greatest friend wants to hang out which makes it hard for me to keep friends.

Whenever I'm not alone, I have to hide who I truly am. I have a very hard time with hearing other people talk if there's background noise even if they're directly facing me even though my hearing has been fine at the doctors. I tend to act out in my room when I'm alone (Awkward to explain, but random gestures and I play with my hands a lot).

Kind of a venting post, but I sometimes doubt myself and this post gives me a way to show just a portion of my alien feelings. I still feel doubted if I just consider myself self-diagnosed, and I would like to talk to my doctor to see about a formal diagnosis. I'm going for a checkup soon and this is my chance to put my problems to rest. My question is, how would I go about this whole topic with my doctor, someone who I have never had to talk with besides some anxiety problems? My mother will be there too (I'm 17) and just mentioning it would be a surprise to both of them. Is there any easy way to do this? My mother has always been supportive, but can be dismissive when it comes to health concerns.

To keep the gloom down, here are some things about me! I enjoy watching anime and have been formally learning Japanese and plan to go on a trip with a friend next year where we get to stay with a host family in Japan! I also like playing games, listening to music (Indie mostly), and collecting figures.

If you made it all the way through, hope you enjoyed the novel. I'm glad to be finally posting on here and thanks for being a welcoming community! I hope to get to know more of you!

welcome.png

Welcome to the forum! Whenever i try to explain my asd, people like to tell me that "being a teenager is hard for everyone." before that, the first time i suspected that i had crippling social anxiety (couldn't speak, had panic attacks if i was in crowds, couldn't bear to be in the same room with a few people, never wanted to leave my house, and didn't when i had holiday breaks) everyone around me liked to say "well, you're in high school, that's normal for you." it wasn't. Nt parents sometimes struggle to understand their asd children, and since they don't know how to help they may just try to diminish the situation, since they don't know what else to do. self diagnosis can feel very flimsy at first, and i remember when i first found mine, i felt that i wasn't officially on the spectrum because i was not a professional, and had to really go over the top with the traits i had so anyone would believe me. it's a bit of a self esteem thing. but you have to remember that while you may be autistic, you are still you. you are not autism, and whatever name you put to the challenges you face does not change who you are. it only changes how you think of those challenges, and that they are out of your control. fitting in can be quite draining, and over the years i've learned that you can strike a balance between weird and polite. sometimes you can fit the weirdness into conversation without being ostracized. lastly, holy crap, you lucky human! i've always wanted to learn japanese so i could go there, but i never really caught on. anyway, if you want advice from another self diagnosed aspie-teen, feel free to dm me. there aren't a lot of younger users on this site, so it's always nice to meet people my age when they do join.

Okay that sounds like ASD-1 or otherwise known as Aspergers. You should look up your MTBI typing. The two combined will give you a better explanation.

New Threads

Top Bottom