• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi. New girl.

Maddy Girl

Hey! I'm new to this forum, or really any forum in general. I have Aspergers, ADHD, anxiety, and depression. I haven't ever really met anyone with Aspergers Syndrome. I mean, I help with some special needs kids at school, but they aren't the high functioning. I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm just hoping I can get some support from people who know what it's like to be in my shoes. If you have any advice as how to deal with things like ticks(unwanted, unrealized, annoying movement), or anger issues or things like hallway anxiety, please respond!
-Maddy Girl

upload_2017-10-24_9-19-36.png

Hi Maddy Girl - Welcome!

I don't want to assume anything here, but have you given much thought to whether your tics are really unwanted and unrealized? I mean, do you think that maybe they are resulting from being overstressed? Maybe you need to take more breaks away from being overstimulated?

Sometimes people exhibit what look to be "tics", but they are actually self-calming habits, called stims. If you haven't heard of this, look up "stimming" on the internet and see if this fits. Stimming can occur in environments when we autistics/aspies feel overstimulated and need to calm ourselves. It can relieve some anxiety, but it isn't always enough. It can be a sign to help us recognize that we need to get away from the source of the anxiety.

Welcome! Going down the hall between classes was a horrible experience for me when I was in school. All the movement, noise, and smells(this was during a big hair trend so the hairspray odor was strong). Used to end up hiding in the bathroom and skipping classes quite a bit. By my senior year I was choosing classes based on how bad a walk it would be between them. Since you are officially diagnosed, and not attending school in the 80's, perhaps you could ask to leave class a minute early so you could have a head start on the hall chaos. That is something I think would have helped me a lot.

Hi Maddy Girl - Welcome!

I don't want to assume anything here, but have you given much thought to whether your tics are really unwanted and unrealized? I mean, do you think that maybe they are resulting from being overstressed? Maybe you need to take more breaks away from being overstimulated?

Sometimes people exhibit what look to be "tics", but they are actually self-calming habits, called stims. If you haven't heard of this, look up "stimming" on the internet and see if this fits. Stimming can occur in environments when we autistics/aspies feel overstimulated and need to calm ourselves. It can relieve some anxiety, but it isn't always enough. It can be a sign to help us recognize that we need to get away from the source of the anxiety.
rgsys sounds about right. I can talk to my teachers and parents about that. Thank you!

Hi there, Maddy girl.

You talk of ticks. As another suggested, could it be a nervous habit? I confirmed the other day, that my tummy growls when I am very nervous ie if someone sits too close to me. Of of course, tummy talks when hungry, but it has caused such untold agony when in a room full of people and very quiet, my tummy decides to speak and it won't be quiet!

New Threads

Top Bottom