• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, it’s nice to meet you in advance.

Mike67

I recently found out I have ADHD and Aspergers. In many ways this was a relief as I have always known I was different than others growing up. I’ve always covered this up as much as possible and now have a hard time doing that. This leaves those close to me confused with no interest in understanding or acknowledging me. I came here to see if I fit in I guess and for better understanding of myself as I know little about Aspergers.
Mike

Hi and welcome. I think a lot of us on here recognise each other's experience of things, or have some similar traits, so you will likely get some feeling of being understood here I hope. There's some information and threads here you may find interesting as you research ADHD and ASD1/Aspergers, and you can post threads and questions of your own of course. Perhaps you have some strategies to share?

Knowing that you have these neurologist helps find strategies, I think, rather than just trying ideas that fit for those who are neurotypical, which is what many of us have done until we find out more about autism and ADHD. I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:palmtree::evergreen::deciduous::leafwind::herb::fallenleaf::mapleleaf:

Hi Mike

Welcome aboard!

I got my formal diagnosis a few year's ago now and that was a huge relief too, so understand what you mean.

I thought I was doing well masking, but since I was not successful in making friends, I came to see that I was not good at masking, otherwise I would have friends.

Now, I do not bother to mask, due to that formal diagnosis and actually, ones are more accepting of me.

I joined when I was self diagnosed and it is the first time I ever felt accepted, so the fact you come here formally diagnosied, how much more so, will you feel accepted?! :)

A little facts about aspergers.

Males are diagnosed far more than females. One, because females are better at masking than males and two, because the critera set out is so narrow minded, that it has not taken into account other aspects of aspergers, but happily, that is changing and I am proof of that, as is other female aspies on here.

It is now referred to as: ASD ( autism spectrum disorder). It takes on similar properties to classic autism, but the big difference is that we can actually improve ie not static, as is classic autism.

There is an expression I discovered on here: you meet one aspie..... you meet one aspie. So, we are all unique, but not so unique that we are unrecognisable.

I have found that on diagnosis and understanding, at last eye contact issues, that I have improved in that area, unless someone is over talking or makes me generally feel uncomfortable, my mind starts wondering and suddenly can't make contact, or if I am angry.

Stimming as calmed down too and I laugh now, when I catch myself stimming.

Have found, though, with diagnosis, comes a sort of panic. There is no "back door". You are, so you have to deal with it and that sometimes can make me feel very scared.

.. I came here to see if I fit in I guess and for better understanding of myself as I know little about Aspergers.

Hi and welcome to the Forums @Mike67
This is a good place to learn, do read some of the older threads. Have a root around for topics that interest you and follow those. Use the search engine - its quite good.

welcome to af.png

Hi and welcome. I think a lot of us on here recognise each other's experience of things, or have some similar traits, so you will likely get some feeling of being understood here I hope. There's some information and threads here you may find interesting as you research ADHD and ASD1/Aspergers, and you can post threads and questions of your own of course. Perhaps you have some strategies to share?

Knowing that you have these neurologist helps find strategies, I think, rather than just trying ideas that fit for those who are neurotypical, which is what many of us have done until we find out more about autism and ADHD. I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

Hi, and thank you. It was nice to open a door and see a whole group of people who were the same as myself along with the feelings, issues and experiences at different times throughout life. For me finding out I went through a two month overdrive of thought analyzing myself, my life, who I wanted to be and finally truly giving it all to God to control (short version;)). I was losing many hours a day to thought that passed like minutes, couldn’t sleep and so on. I went to one of my grown sons birthday party and when I walked in it was very loud after I had been in pure silence for a long time. This sent a deep overwhelming base feeling in my chest and when I looked at everyone they had different colored text bubbles above their heads with the words starting to form when I had to look away because I thought I was going to pass out like blood pressure dropping. This is one of the weird things that happened that I couldn’t find on the search engine if your familiar or anyone else.

Hi Mike

Welcome aboard!

I got my formal diagnosis a few year's ago now and that was a huge relief too, so understand what you mean.

I thought I was doing well masking, but since I was not successful in making friends, I came to see that I was not good at masking, otherwise I would have friends.

Now, I do not bother to mask, due to that formal diagnosis and actually, ones are more accepting of me.

I joined when I was self diagnosed and it is the first time I ever felt accepted, so the fact you come here formally diagnosied, how much more so, will you feel accepted?! :)

A little facts about aspergers.

Males are diagnosed far more than females. One, because females are better at masking than males and two, because the critera set out is so narrow minded, that it has not taken into account other aspects of aspergers, but happily, that is changing and I am proof of that, as is other female aspies on here.

It is now referred to as: ASD ( autism spectrum disorder). It takes on similar properties to classic autism, but the big difference is that we can actually improve ie not static, as is classic autism.

There is an expression I discovered on here: you meet one aspie..... you meet one aspie. So, we are all unique, but not so unique that we are unrecognisable.

I have found that on diagnosis and understanding, at last eye contact issues, that I have improved in that area, unless someone is over talking or makes me generally feel uncomfortable, my mind starts wondering and suddenly can't make contact, or if I am angry.

Stimming as calmed down too and I laugh now, when I catch myself stimming.

Have found, though, with diagnosis, comes a sort of panic. There is no "back door". You are, so you have to deal with it and that sometimes can make me feel very scared.
Thank you.
For me masking was a way of not showing things I did out of the norm, as a way of hiding those things. An example would be to make eye contact but look through people when you don’t want to or can’t anymore. I guess I’m saying I’m not sure if masking would be a help in making friends but more to not pull attention from oneself/hide in a sense like in my case.

I moved a lot each year growing up so friends were few and far between. This is also what probably stopped me from being diagnosed earlier. I didn't understand how to interact with people or conversation making it difficult. High School I stayed in one place and doing well in sports I was able to fit in and be accepted into that group making it nice but not perfect either.
I have four sons and one that passed along with a daughter. I can easily see myself in my sons but not in that way with my daughter, I will look into that.

For me finding out was almost exciting and new, a gained strength. Losing much of the weakness and self doubt to focus more on actually controlling my mind, not the other way around. You seem very nice and approachable. I imagine your issue with friends was just from feeling less than from the lies and hurts all around us and what that creates like a false low self-esteem, confidence and worth. Don’t believe the lies :), and have a great day. mike

Hi, and Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

Hi and thank you for the help. I agree, I can relate in many ways to all I’ve read so far. As far as strategies, that’s difficult in a way since I had no idea I had this, just all the negative side affects from it but always feeling there was more. At that point I didn’t handle it well in ways like most I have read about here and elsewhere in the many directions. I had many difficult personal situations that collided around one time and the end result was feeling like a weight came off and everything started coming out leading to now. I’m just trying to figure this new ND world out and understand it in the different directions to better know and understand myself in strength and weakness for growth.
Mike

Thank you. Yes, although it’s sad the main things that bring us together is to be accepted, loved, and to find peace inside.

New Threads

Top Bottom