• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, I'm new

AutismDad

Hi! My 4-year old son has autism and I am here to listen, talk and learn all I can about being the best Autism Dad I can be. I love my son and I wouldn't change anything about him. He's just like any other 4-year old. I want to get more involved in autism-related activities and help to make the world a bit more understanding of autistic people, who they are and how they think. Thanks for all you do and all you have done.

upload_2020-9-22_16-7-34.png

There's a lot to learn. But learning doesn't make you the best autism Dad you can be. It's how you apply what you learn. Yes he is the same in most ways to others, but raising him will involve differences from any other 4-year old. Btw often it is something passed on and so one or both of the parents may be on the spectrum. With ASD1 they may not even know. But if that is the case it is not a bad thing but an opportunity for better understanding thru shared natures.

Hi and welcome, it's lovely you wish to understand your son and his way of being.

Welcome to the forums. I am an autism dad and self-diagnosed aspie myself. My ASD daughter is doing very well in life and college now.

Welcome Autismdad :)

I hope you enjoy your journey.

I'm hoping to ask you a question about your sons first year, when you're ready.

Manners dictate I let you settle in first :)

My son seems to have some traits but he has ADHD and learning issues. He is very visual so lot of his knowledge has came from well youtube and he watches lot of educational stuff. He is already a free thinker and thinks for himself and forms his own opinions. He's nine. Things my son got at school before all this Covid is very much the same as ASD students get because of his learning style and the help he got at school for his problems.

BTW, welcome.

There's a lot to learn. But learning doesn't make you the best autism Dad you can be. It's how you apply what you learn. Yes he is the same in most ways to others, but raising him will involve differences from any other 4-year old. Btw often it is something passed on and so one or both of the parents may be on the spectrum. With ASD1 they may not even know. But if that is the case it is not a bad thing but an opportunity for better understanding thru shared natures.
Thanks!

Welcome, AD! Your son is very fortunate to have you as his father not only because of your love for him, but also your commitment to learn and understand as much of his world as you can. With that kind commitment, you'll not only be his dad, you'll be his advocate, teacher, student, helper and friend.

I am an autism dad too as well as being autistic myself.

My son seems to have some traits but he has ADHD and learning issues. He is very visual so lot of his knowledge has came from well youtube and he watches lot of educational stuff. He is already a free thinker and thinks for himself and forms his own opinions. He's nine. Things my son got at school before all this Covid is very much the same as ASD students get because of his learning style and the help he got at school for his problems.

BTW, welcome.
My son is also diagnosed with ADHD and is very visual. He, too, learns a great deal more from watching educational television programs than, it seems, from me and mom. He is very finicky about what he watches and when. I think he's also a metal-head. Anytime AC/DC comes on the radio, he gets really excited. I love it!

New Threads

Top Bottom