• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, I’m new

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I can't add too much more to what other people have said, but as you can see you are now part of a unique community!

I understand it can be overwhelming receiving a diagnosis, I was quite tearful when I got mine, I only wish I'd got it earlier my life may have been so different in a positive way, than much of it has been. You are now in a position to be able to recognise and hopefully capitalise on your strengths, and work on your weaknesses, which is a good place to be! You may find you have a special skill or talent you didn't know you had!

Congratulations, you're an Aspie! :)

This is probably very subjective, but I think 16 is actually one of the best times for you to be diagnosed.
You're still building yourself, your identity, and having this diagnosis will answer a lot of questions. Being aware of the associated traits will greatly help you figure out what's right for you, whether in terms of school, work, or personal life. I hope with that knowledge you can find self-assertion, and not be hard on yourself for not doing or feeling things in the exact same way as others do. I've thought so many times, in my 20s, that I was a failure for not being able to do this or that, all things that we could trace to AS, but back then, I just thought things didn't work out because I wasn't trying hard enough, or in the appropriate manner. And that made me feel terribly guilty, all while making me so harsh on myself.
I feel it's also a good time, because maybe for you, it comes with a certain naïveté that could get you in trouble; now is a good time to learn suspicious patterns and ways to get out of a dangerous situation --I definitely don't want to scare you, but I would feel like I'm failing you and other young women if I didn't warn them.

As for not having had the diagnosis earlier, well... your life would have been different with it, but not necessarily better. Just different. Sure, you probably would have benefitted from certain adjustments, provided these could be made available, but you would have had to bear a label you probably weren't strong enough for yet, and it might not have kept you from being shunned or whatnot. It could have also have given people lesser expectations from you, because they wouldn't have expected you to succeed "like a regular kid".
Now is such a good time to analyze your strengths and weaknesses, and see what you can make with those to live your best life. It won't be easy, but it's totally worth it :)

New Threads

Top Bottom