• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, Im new and insecure. And stuborn.

Hello & welcome.

What is "Atypical" autism?
Not having "classic" autism, nor having asperger.
I was diagnosed without anyone knowing if I started to spoke early or rather later. After some research Im pretty sure that was the reason why they classified me as "atypical" because they couldnt determine, if I had hit that criteria or not. (That was...2014 or 2015...im really bad with remembering years and numbers)
(ICD-10, 2019)(edit: there it still was distinguished)
For being "classic" autistic one has to meet some but enough criterias, the same with aspergers. I hit enough to be on the spectrum, but couldnt be determinded as neither of the two.
The guy giving me the diagnoses said I should just think of it as having aspergers.

Im working on giving a shorter explanation, that still makes it clear. But, its really hard to explain something that is basically just a "Im a color. But neither red nor orange. Haha...ha....im...dark orange...a redish orange....a bright red?..."
I mean... the only reason i get asked that is because some people decided to name it "atypical" ...so...I was even the odd one around the odd ones?...thanks....but Im still on the odd spectrum. And have the same odd problems.

[Also...the irony of someone being atypical in behavior gets even "more" "atypical".
Such a funny Nonesense ^^]

(Edit: in ICD-11 Atypical and Asperger doesnt exist anymore. Its all on one spectrum. So everyone reading this IT CANT GET DIAGNOSED ANYMORE, cuz its old. Thank god.
its not important whats the difference. I tried to explain it. <I actually didnt learn much new about it anyway. But at least i refreshed my knowledge> Accept it. or dont, i dont want to care.
I cant change my thread...or i just dont know how. Tell me if theres a way to change it. So, i can inform people before they start asking.
If theres no way...then i guess they have to read all the way down here. You poor souls.)

Last edited:
welcome_to_af.png

Welcome Tyler. I only learned I was ASD1 (Asperger's) when I was 64. I am now 65. Asperger's was literally unknown when I was growing up. I just knew I was weird. Fortunately, I didn't have the friction with my parents you mention. I am curious about Atypical Autism. Can you elaborate?
Jump
(please forgive me, if you arent into nicknames.)

After a long research session and a little sleep, I decided to give the shortest, but most accurate explanation I can produce right now. For you. And everyone else whos curious.

Explanation:
Being diagnosed with "atypical" autism, is based on old terms, which today dont officially exist in IDC-11 anymore.
Being "Atypical" was when one hit criterias for being "autism" but "lacked" those which determined if its "classic" or asperger.

Im glad it doesnt exist anymore, cuz it can create a wrong idea about what it means to be autistic.
That I "wasnt autistic enough", while I clearly had "severe" but rather "hidden" symptoms. I mask pretty well. Its exausting and it makes me sick. (Literally sick)
(Calling it "mild"....just because I "dont look like it" at the first glance, just because I seem to have "speech" "strategies" and "the brains".
brains my aaaa-...butt. :grimacing:
....I dont feel mild at all. I dont want to go more into private details about that, why i feel this way. And I never want to brush off the suffer of others, just because they "dont look like it" or are good at hiding it. Whatever kind of pain they expirience or why they suffer in the first place.)
(I just wish I knew how to ease their pain... Im straying off again...I tend to do that. ...a lot...)

So, Jump, and others who read this. I hope the explanation was good enough to understand. Because it isnt really more different, then the diversity of ASD. ...because it just IS the diversity of ASD.

Thanks for listening.

Being "Atypical" was when one hit criterias for being "autism" but "lacked" those which determined if its "classic" or asperger.
In the DSM-4, that was called PDD-NOS.*

*Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified.
full

That was exactly why I doubted I could be autistic. I had managed to work the same job for 32 years, and remain married 24 years till my wife passed away. I had heard people with autism did not maintain such relationships, ergo I couldn't be autistic.
You were obviously misinformed 43 years with my wife next week. since I diagnosed myself never had any doubts
when the data fits I trust my ability to figure things out.

I had never well-informed myself until AFTER I had the test evidence confronting me. Then it became my latest "special interest"

I have Atypical Autism with ADHD (I saw that this option didnt exist in the registration. And, my stuborness just couldnt get stoped. I just had to mention that. Maybe it should get some updates, but it isnt really that important.)
Im 27 years old, diagnosed with 19.
Always struggeled to accept myself.
I thought for over 3 years to become part of a autism forum, but hesitated. (I read through some and they looked like an endless fight between several sites that really didnt even try to understand the others perspective. That was pretty much the thing that took my interest away for a while.)

Then, I hope to finally talk with people who actually listen. People who dont give me the feeling that being myself is something useless to the society.
Its hard to accept oneself when so many keep telling me that Im not enough, while i try to constantly do my best, and finally, to love myself for who I am.

After a big verbal fight with my father, how Im once again was labled as "not being enough", I ended up here. Trying desperatly to let it go. Reaching out to others who know probably better whats going on without me constantly trying to explain them why I am like I am. (My surounding doesnt even try to inform themselves. Kinda hurts.)(ah, and also, I suspect that my dad is autistic too. But he just doesnt care about that stuff. Hes busy with "real things" which are "waaay more important".)

My apology, maybe those informations are too personal? I dont know how much is too much.
Does things like that get deleted?
I read the rules but it didnt say much about that...
I guess its fine. If not please tell me.
I'll try to make it better.

Also, english is not my first language.
So, sorry if my sentence or words are weird. You all can correct me anytime, I like to learn.

I'll hope I can talk a little bit with some people.
Tell me anything you want. I want to listen to others. Even if its random stuff, or about your interests.

You are always enough. You cannot help your autistic traits.
You have to know you can be yourself and you are always enough
I am stubborn too
But I do not always mean it, a lot of times it is when something is hurting me or I do not understand something. And at times I try to understand but I definitely struggle to...
And pressure to understand when u do not as an autistic is hard
We are enough as we are

New Threads

Top Bottom