• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi I'm Mel W.

HI and Welcome @MelW
there is a lot of experience in here, so browse any topics that interest you in particular or just follow the chat and see what piques your interest.

Hello again everyone,

I want to thank all of you for your warm welcome to the form. You will have to be patient with me. I'm not real familiar with social media and have never been on a blog. It'll take me some time to get into the rhythm and be comfortable with how this all works. My husband is on a blog and he said he would help me. As far as all your comments go I hear you and can relate to a lot of it. The anxiety, school experiences special education, trauma that I can't let go of and how the stresses of everyday life can trigger these emotional responses to the past. Also the comments about age and difficulty with executive function. That's the big one.

Anyway I'll try to respond and post when I can. Again I have to get used to posting with some consistency. If I don't post for a few days don't take it personally. I do want to be invested. Thanks, Mel W.

Oh and I should also let you all know that due to my learning difficulties writing is not always my easiest form of communication. I am using the DragonDictate as adaptive technology to communicate via text. Otherwise this would be impossible.

Hi I'm Mel.

Don’t know quite where to begin. I’m a 54-year-old woman living in the US, Pennsylvania right outside the city of Philadelphia. When I was about six years old I was diagnosed with learning disabilities after a failed attempt at a public school education in first grade. The so-called experts who tested me told my parents that I would never go to college, I would be lucky if I graduated high school and to treat me like I’m blind.

To make a long story short my parents ignored most of that and didn’t lower their expectations despite that very discouraging diagnosis. I’m a bit of this success story not only graduating from high school but I have a bachelors degree from a four-year university. I’ve had three fairly successful careers. I was a theatrical production assistant in my early 20s then a teacher assistant in special education classrooms for the multiply disabled. I still work with the MDS population now but as a massage therapist running my own business. I am happily married to my husband who I met in college. We’ve known each other for over 30 years and have been married for 22. We don’t have any children by choice.

I’ve done pretty well in my life but as you well know even with success when your Nerodivergent life still has its major struggles. Just a little before the pandemic I began to notice that my ability to navigate life’s obstacles was becoming increasingly more difficult. Also my anxiety level was beginning to increase in certain situations. I knew I had learning disabilities but while being out of work temporarily during the pandemic I started to explore what else could be going on. I always had a feeling that there was more than just dyslexia, or ADD. There are even some physical differences that I’ve recognized over the years.

When doing research online I discovered that people who had similar life experiences or symptoms to my own were all identifying themselves as on the spectrum. I kept saying to myself “but I’m not autistic.” Then after watching video after video and listening to some Ted talks it began to occur to me “hey maybe I am autistic after all.” I began to think back on certain events and interactions in my life and when hearing people tell their stories I began to connect the dots with the realization smacking me in the face. This discovery is both joyous and thrilling as well as paralyzing and confusing. The big question, where do I go from here?

I have always had a sensitivity to loud noises and after lots of research I discovered that it was most likely sensory processing disorder. With certain circumstances created by the pandemic my ability to deal with the anxiety that comes with SPD has weakened considerably. Also at 54 years old now like many women I am experiencing menopause and have discovered that other neuro- divergent women also going through menopause have also experienced various cracks in their coping abilities.

I have received counseling in the past, but now I’m really looking to find other people to talk to that have a special understanding of what I am going through. I haven’t been able to find the right resource close to where I live. This is why I’m pursuing your community. Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks, Mel.
Welcome
Hello again everyone,

I want to thank all of you for your warm welcome to the form. You will have to be patient with me. I'm not real familiar with social media and have never been on a blog. It'll take me some time to get into the rhythm and be comfortable with how this all works. My husband is on a blog and he said he would help me. As far as all your comments go I hear you and can relate to a lot of it. The anxiety, school experiences special education, trauma that I can't let go of and how the stresses of everyday life can trigger these emotional responses to the past. Also the comments about age and difficulty with executive function. That's the big one.

Anyway I'll try to respond and post when I can. Again I have to get used to posting with some consistency. If I don't post for a few days don't take it personally. I do want to be invested. Thanks, Mel W.

Oh and I should also let you all know that due to my learning difficulties writing is not always my easiest form of communication. I am using the DragonDictate as adaptive technology to communicate via text. Otherwise this would be impossible.
Welcome

Hello! Your story sends a beautiful and inspirational message. Thank you for sharing it, and welcome to the forum.

New Threads

Top Bottom