• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, i need some help with friend making

R3B3LCAUSE

Hi, I am new here. I came here for help with learning to make friends. I very likely have aspergers, and am in the process of getting a diagnosis for certain, but until then i have problems that need answers.

There is a girl at school who i want to become friends with, but I don't really know how. I have known her for a few years now, but never as more than acquaintances. I think it is going in the right direction, we share a common interest in music (we are the only two people in our very tiny high school that listen to post-hardcore, punk, screamo, etc.) and have shared some CDs with each other, so AFAIK its working right now. My concern is that, like my past attempts at making friends with people, she will quickly lose interest or i will come on too strong and scare her away. What are some things I can do to move towards a stronger friendship without being a stalker?

Hi,
WE all need help with friend making. I have had more good advice from kind people than from any therapist I have ever talked to.
Be a good listener, not a talker. Ask her questions about herself, and things in her life. People like when you take an interest in them, and most people like to talk about it when asked. Outside of that, I still know nothing, but this seems to have helped me greatly.
Best of luck with this special lady.
NOTE: I am a hopeless romantic (as has been described to me by several women). I hold doors open, I let them sit first, let them start to eat first, stand up when they leave the table and when they return, help them with their coat, etc. I have always instinctively done this, and it has made a difference for me.

Do you know how to make sure I'm not asking too many questions? I'm worried that I might seem kinda creepy if I just start asking a bunch of personal questions

EDIT: I have been told that I often ask people too many/too personal questions so this could be a big problem for me

Last edited:
R3B3L, here are some fairly common conversation topics that aren't too personal. Hope you don't think that they're dumb or lame.

Travel. Where has she traveled? Where would she like to go someday? What did/would she like about those places?
Food. Everyone eats, and most people can cook something. What does she like to eat/cook? What restaurants does she think are good?
Books/websites/reading. What does she like to read? What websites or topics does she think are interesting?
Music. Obviously.
Gaming.
Animals/pets.
Art. Does she do any? What sort of art does she like? Consider going to a museum or art gallery.
Movies.
TV.
Physical stuff. Hiking, bike riding, just sitting and watching people.

These are just a few things that don't have to be too personal. Basically, ask her what she likes, then share what you like. You are bound to find some common ground, which may open up opportunities for future activities together. Wishing you the absolute BEST of luck!

Thanks for the advice.

I am also wondering how I can tell when and how often it is appropriate to text message her. It seems like I annoy people by texting them too much. Since I have terrible judgement of how people are responding to me, do you know of any obvious indicators to tell me when I am bothering her? If she never texts me first (no one does) does it mean she doesn't want to talk to me, or does she just not think about it, or (I have heard that some girls are like this) is she wanting me to text her first to show that I am interested?

My social life feels like homework that I have to figure out =/

Oh another thing; should I tell her I have aspergers? If so then when and how? Should I wait until I am officially diagnosed?

Sorry if I ask too many questions, this is very important to me

Last edited by a moderator:
Telling her you have Asperger's might freak her out at this point: you're getting ahead of yourself. The 2 of you are mere acquaintances: not even friends yet. Bull-dozing someone with too much personal information is not a good thing.You say that you are interested in becoming friends with her but you seem to want more than friendship. Are you hoping to turn this into a dating relationship?

Until I can get through all the BS with the school an the government, I can't get tested and diagnosed, so I can't get any help, so this is the best I can do for now. I'm sorry for bothering everyone but school is almost over and I don't want to spend another miserable summer alone.

Another thing I am not sure about is how to say hi to her and start a conversation. Last night we were at a public event and she sat next to me (just us) the whole time, but she never said a single word to me, so I am very confused. If she doesn't greet me first how can I know if/when I should talk to her? I don't want to seem rude, but when a NT doesn't talk to you, doesn't that mean they don't like you?

Telling her you have Asperger's might freak her out at this point: you're getting ahead of yourself. The 2 of you are mere acquaintances: not even friends yet. Bull-dozing someone with too much personal information is not a good thing.You say that you are interested in becoming friends with her but you seem to want more than friendship. Are you hoping to turn this into a dating relationship?

Wow, even online people can see right through me -_-

Yes I do have feelings for her, but she is already in a relationship and I don't think she sees me that way anyway. At this point I just want to be friends with her. I don't have any friends

Have you spoke to a counciller or any other proffesional person rebel

I have talked to one of my teachers about possibly having aspergers, and they are working on getting me tested, but the principal and the rules are getting in the way and delaying things. My family can't afford a counselor, so until I can see one through the school I am on my own

EDIT: @soup; I was thinking I could bring it up casually in conversation somehow. We've known each other somewhat for a few years, so I don't think it would scare her

Last edited:
Hopefully you will get your diagnosis and hope it all makes sence to you it did for me rebel keep fighting for what you believe in any time you need to chat you no were i am

I have been in many relationships, and have come to discover that what you are feeling for her will settle down in time. The best way to establish a relationship (and to keep one), is to be friends. Without friendship, you will end up with nothing. If you can be her friend, you have everything, even though it does not feel that way (we always want more). Take it easy and allow the flower time to open. If you force it, you will end up breaking the petals off, and will never see it's true beauty.

UI agree with soup, be sure to not share to much personal info too soon. be paitent and take your time with her. greet her with a hi and how are you? maybe ask her out to a musuem if she lieks art. yeah it sucks theres no coffee shop in your town. thats always a good safe place ot go for a simple outing. :)
i really hope you can keep talkign to this girl and keep in touch with her.

i think itd be okay to text her, maybe ask if you could get her number if she would feel ok texting. i dont have a gf or anything so my advice isnt great but i do want you to be friends with this girl, she soudns like a great friend.

Oh another thing; should I tell her I have aspergers? If so then when and how? Should I wait until I am officially diagnosed?

Sorry if I ask too many questions, this is very important to me

What you could do in that regard is mention some of you issues without saying "Asperger's" out loud. My goal is making people think of me as someone with extremely sensitive hearing, instead of as someone who the media has labeled mentally retarded.

Another thing I am not sure about is how to say hi to her and start a conversation. Last night we were at a public event and she sat next to me (just us) the whole time, but she never said a single word to me, so I am very confused. If she doesn't greet me first how can I know if/when I should talk to her? I don't want to seem rude, but when a NT doesn't talk to you, doesn't that mean they don't like you?
Even a NT can be quite shy. Maybe just saying "Hey" when you pass in the hallway, a small wave of hello across the classroom, very low key. Either she will respond or she won't, although try it for a few times before deciding that she hasn't responded, just in case she is experiencing shyness. Even though you have been acquainted with her for a few years, if you haven't really shared any experiences with her then you are still just acquaintances. Friendship does take time and shared experience. Since she sat next to you through that event, you have already shared that experience.

I know that when you first realize that you may have Aspergers it is tempting to tell people as a way to explain your behavior, but I don't think it is necessary, especially as you do not know her well yet.

The thing is, we're not dumb. We DO notice very subtle signs, we just don't know what to make of them. Maybe you should go with your instincts instead of trying to conform here.

Wow thank you all for so much advice, I think it could help a lot :)

I have been in many relationships, and have come to discover that what you are feeling for her will settle down in time. The best way to establish a relationship (and to keep one), is to be friends. Without friendship, you will end up with nothing. If you can be her friend, you have everything, even though it does not feel that way (we always want more). Take it easy and allow the flower time to open. If you force it, you will end up breaking the petals off, and will never see it's true beauty.

I am ok with being just friends for now, I just don't know how.

UI agree with soup, be sure to not share to much personal info too soon. be paitent and take your time with her. greet her with a hi and how are you? maybe ask her out to a musuem if she lieks art. yeah it sucks theres no coffee shop in your town. thats always a good safe place ot go for a simple outing. :)
i really hope you can keep talkign to this girl and keep in touch with her.

i think itd be okay to text her, maybe ask if you could get her number if she would feel ok texting. i dont have a gf or anything so my advice isnt great but i do want you to be friends with this girl, she soudns like a great friend.

The only meuseum in the county (and I'm not sure its still open) is just a local history museum, which is boring even to me and for a NT I imagine would be equivalent to pounding ones forehead against a wall :p And I already have had her number for a long time, my concern is that she doesn't text me so I don't think she wants to talk to me (which is sort of a mixed signal for me since she also is very willing to talk face to face with me like she does with everyone else)

What you could do in that regard is mention some of you issues without saying "Asperger's" out loud. My goal is making people think of me as someone with extremely sensitive hearing, instead of as someone who the media has labeled mentally retarded.

I was just trying to think of a way to explain my social awkwardness. She is very intelligent and one of those people who are just genuinely nice to everyone, so I thought maybe she would understand

Even a NT can be quite shy. Maybe just saying "Hey" when you pass in the hallway, a small wave of hello across the classroom, very low key. Either she will respond or she won't, although try it for a few times before deciding that she hasn't responded, just in case she is experiencing shyness. Even though you have been acquainted with her for a few years, if you haven't really shared any experiences with her then you are still just acquaintances. Friendship does take time and shared experience. Since she sat next to you through that event, you have already shared that experience.

She isn't ever shy that I have seen, she is always eager to talk to people and be social which is why I was confused by her not talking to me. She is about a year and a half older than me, and very outgoing, so it would be odd if she was shy about talking to me

But (being the prone to over analyze everything) I have put some thought into it and realize that I may have been sending unintentional non-verbal signals to her that said I didn't want to be talked to. People often tell me I look angry when I'm not and that would explain why such a talkative person would remain completely silent. What can I do about this?

The thing is, we're not dumb. We DO notice very subtle signs, we just don't know what to make of them. Maybe you should go with your instincts instead of trying to conform here.

My instincts are telling me conflicting things here. I am not trying to conform I just don't know how express what I want to express and how to read what everyone else is expressing

and she is also one of those people who has lots of physical contact with her friends. The problem isn't that I dislike this, I enjoy it very much, but I generally avoid such contact because I have zero sense of when/how it is appropriate to interact physically with someone. It is yet another barrier between me and everyone else that makes it hard for me to make/maintain friends. I don't know if it is abnormal, but it seems like a lot of people at my school socialize physically in ways that are confusing and stressful to me :unsure:

Despite you obvious feelings for her, you need to think long and hard about the advisability of asking out someone else's girlfriend (knowing she has a boyfriend). Since you are obviously interested in becoming more than friends, this might not be such a great idea so long as she is seeing someone.

Also, Rebel, you describe her as a very sociable person with many friends. Would you be comfortable with hanging out with all her friends too? Would sharing time with her, her friends AND the boyfriend be too awkward for you? If yes, then better to remain acquaintances & leave well enough alone for now. If she & BF do break up, then you can become a little friendlier & SLOWLY, hopefully, it might evolve into something more.

New Threads

Top Bottom