• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi I need help or guidance

I live in a rural area in Idaho. There is very little where I am in the way of mental and emotional help. In fact, I (with the way I present myself here this may be hard to believe) could out do most therapists here.
I have studied much in mental health focusing on depression. But now I am up against an issue that baffles me.
Oh wow I use to study autism so I know heaps but I'm the same this baffles me also

That makes sense how do you do this is you have too much at one time and all needs to be done the same time?
This gets to me, too. I am currently preparing for a big presentation at work, trying to register a car I bought on Wednesday, and trying to deal with an insurance claim because I got rear-ended on the freeway the day after I bought the car (Thursday was not a good day. I got nothing done at work and I cried the whole way home. Not a good look for a man in his late 40s.)

What helps me is to do everything I can to get things off my mental to-do list. If it's something I can quickly do right now, I do it so I can take it off the list. I put every up-coming event, errand, and deadline into my phone's calendar, with reminders well in advance. I make lists and then number the thing in the order I'm going to do them. Then I only focus on one thing at a time. If I'm at work, I don't think about at-home stuff - and vice versa. I have to remind myself that no one but me seems to get upset when I don't get everything on my list done. It all comes down to reducing the number of things I have to mentally keep track of.

Th
When I was a kid, I asked teachers and anyone else I perceived as an authority figure if they knew why I reacted emotionally the way I did. I literally did not understand myself and was asking for help, and adults knew everything, right?

I understand what you're going through, and I know a lot of other people on this forum do. You have our understanding, sympathy, and empathy.

Counseling from someone who understands autism would be great, if it's available. Here are some things I've learned from my own experience:

1) The standard strategies and behaviors that work for most other people aren't going to work for you. You already know this, and you're frustrated from trying them. You are going to have to figure out what works for you. You're going to have to write your own Owner's Manual.

Start with the things that set you off - look for what they have in common. Is it having too many things to process at once? Is it noise? Is it sudden or unexpected change? Is it not having time to prepare for a situation, or not having time to process something afterward?

Once you know what sets you off, there are two basic strategies:
A) Ways to prevent them.
B) Ways to deal with them.

For ways to prevent them, look for things you can do to prepare in advance for what sets you off. Maybe that's rehearsing and scripting responses, planning your schedule ahead of time, planning for things going wrong, etc. The best thing for me is to make sure I get enough sleep. Look for things that weaken you and make you more prone to meltdowns.

For ways to deal with them, pay attention to how long it takes you to recover. In the moment of a meltdown, this will help you to know that after [that much time], you will feel better. Also learn to recognize when you are heading for a breakdown, and remember that your thoughts at the time are going to be darker than reality really is. Look for activities and things that soothe you and help you recover, and prepare to have them ready when needed.

That's a start. Understanding yourself, learning to cope, and learning to change is a big project. It's going to take time. You wouldn't get mad at a toddler for falling down when they're trying to learn to walk - be just as forgiving to yourself.
Thankyou I think this will be a huge massive help this is a very good answer for me thankyou

New Threads

Top Bottom