• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, Aspie Writer here!!

eriley74

Hi everybody and Happy New Year,

My name is Eric. I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's a few years ago. My 14 y.o. daughter was diagnosed with high-functioning autism 8 years ago with inadvertent help from her teacher, a kid fresh out of college with zero training in handling ASD students.

Basically, I'm here for 3 reasons:

1.) Community. It's awfully lonely in Alabama's Bible Belt for folks like daughter and me who try to navigate the subtle pressures of forced socialization in the workplace, schools, church, and small-town life in general. Anyone who is the slightest bit out of line is an easy target for ostracization, bullying, and shunning. Indeed, my Asperger's played a major role in my dismissal from my job (pharmacy tech in a mom-and-pop drugstore) back in September.

2.) Advice. I need to learn how to navigate the job market and to learn how to bolster my social skills and reduce anxiety in the workplace. Ultimately, I need to pass these lessons on to my daughters (my middle daughter suffers from generalized anxiety disorder). So, any help would be...well...helpful.

3.) Advocacy. I want to learn from others about their life experiences dealing with the dominant, and oftentimes overbearing, neurotypical culture. This way, I can write more fully developed characters and plots for my short stories and novels. My current novel project is about an autistic high school girl who learns how to discern genuine friendship and to advocate for herself while preparing for a school art contest. Any insights and advice would also be welcome.

That's me in a nutshell. I must give thanks to my wife for helping me to identify my Asperger's and for being a patient cheerleader as I finally learn how to walk the thin line between being sociable and being introverted. Hope to meet some of you soon. :)

upload_2019-12-31_13-34-50.png

Hi everybody and Happy New Year,

My name is Eric. I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's a few years ago. My 14 y.o. daughter was diagnosed with high-functioning autism 8 years ago with inadvertent help from her teacher, a kid fresh out of college with zero training in handling ASD students.

Basically, I'm here for 3 reasons:

1.) Community. It's awfully lonely in Alabama's Bible Belt for folks like daughter and me who try to navigate the subtle pressures of forced socialization in the workplace, schools, church, and small-town life in general. Anyone who is the slightest bit out of line is an easy target for ostracization, bullying, and shunning. Indeed, my Asperger's played a major role in my dismissal from my job (pharmacy tech in a mom-and-pop drugstore) back in September.

2.) Advice. I need to learn how to navigate the job market and to learn how to bolster my social skills and reduce anxiety in the workplace. Ultimately, I need to pass these lessons on to my daughters (my middle daughter suffers from generalized anxiety disorder). So, any help would be...well...helpful.

3.) Advocacy. I want to learn from others about their life experiences dealing with the dominant, and oftentimes overbearing, neurotypical culture. This way, I can write more fully developed characters and plots for my short stories and novels. My current novel project is about an autistic high school girl who learns how to discern genuine friendship and to advocate for herself while preparing for a school art contest. Any insights and advice would also be welcome.

That's me in a nutshell. I must give thanks to my wife for helping me to identify my Asperger's and for being a patient cheerleader as I finally learn how to walk the thin line between being sociable and being introverted. Hope to meet some of you soon. :)

Hi Eric, and Happy New Year!

I grew up in a small town in the Deep South, and understand the culture you described. That culture and a dysfunctional family were strong motivators for me to "get out". I am sorry that you lost your job, and hope you land on your feet soon.

Welcome to this forum! I hope you make new friends and gain the insight you are looking for.

Welkom hier!

Let op er zijn meerdere nederlandstalige deelneemers hier
Beware there are more dutch speakers here

Welkom hier!

Let op er zijn meerdere nederlandstalige deelneemers hier
Beware there are more dutch speakers here
Ik heb een vriend in Nijmegen, dus ik leer Nederlands voor haar. Ze is een Engelse majoor aan de Radboud Universiteit. LOL

I have a friend in Nijmegen, so I am learning Dutch for her. She is an English major at Radboud University. LOL

Hi Eric, and Happy New Year!

I grew up in a small town in the Deep South, and understand the culture you described. That culture and a dysfunctional family were strong motivators for me to "get out". I am sorry that you lost your job, and hope you land on your feet soon.

Welcome to this forum! I hope you make new friends and gain the insight you are looking for.

Thank you!! This culture is quite the opposite of the one I grew up in: suburban Chicago. In and around Chicago, people keep to themselves, which makes the act of making friends quite a challenge. Here, Southern hospitality is virtually non-existent. (Happily, I have found in my travels that Southern hospitality is still alive and well outside the Bible Belt.) In fact, I find the people in the nearest big city (Huntsville, AL) friendlier and more accessible than these supposedly idyllic small towns where everyone is monitored for the slightest idiosyncrasy and classified accordingly.

... where everyone is monitored for the slightest idiosyncrasy and classified accordingly.

I wonder how Jesus would "fit in" in the towns you mentioned. I was reading yesterday about tax collectors and how they were so utterly beyond the pale since they had sold out to the occupying forces of the time, and were being paid by what they could make on the side in their job. I do not think that Jesus hung out with the "right" people.

A propos all of which a quote
The only way to deal with an unfree world, is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. Albert Camus

I wonder how Jesus would "fit in" in the towns you mentioned. I was reading yesterday about tax collectors and how they were so utterly beyond the pale since they had sold out to the occupying forces of the time, and were being paid by what they could make on the side in their job. I do not think that Jesus hung out with the "right" people.

A propos all of which a quote
The only way to deal with an unfree world, is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. Albert Camus

That was the whole point of Jesus' earthly ministry: to hang out with the outcasts who needed healing, forgiveness, and mercy. The only people He ever criticized were the "right" people. Nowadays, the outcasts are ignored, belittled, and condemned by the majority of Jesus' followers in the Southern U.S. (not all).

No, Jesus would most certainly not "fit in" in the small-town South, where the dominant brand of Christianity is a blend of legalism, nationalism, and privilege, the three things He challenged in His human life. I could deliver a month's worth of sermons on this topic, but I don't think that's appropriate for this thread, and I certainly don't want to alienate any Evangelical Christians who are sincere and loving in the practice of their faith.

Albert Camus hit the nail on the head, didn't he? :)

Thank you!! This culture is quite the opposite of the one I grew up in: suburban Chicago. In and around Chicago, people keep to themselves, which makes the act of making friends quite a challenge. Here, Southern hospitality is virtually non-existent. (Happily, I have found in my travels that Southern hospitality is still alive and well outside the Bible Belt.) In fact, I find the people in the nearest big city (Huntsville, AL) friendlier and more accessible than these supposedly idyllic small towns where everyone is monitored for the slightest idiosyncrasy and classified accordingly.

My sister occasionally drives through the "Bible belt" on her way to other places, and she says she always knows when she's getting close to entering it, because billboards start appearing everywhere saying that sinners will go straight to hell if they don't repent! repent! repent! I think I'd take the long way around to avoid that. Very creepy.

My sister occasionally drives through the "Bible belt" on her way to other places, and she says she always knows when she's getting close to entering it, because billboards start appearing everywhere saying that sinners will go straight to hell if they don't repent! repent! repent! I think I'd take the long way around to avoid that. Very creepy.

Yep. I've lived here for 17 years and I still do a double-take at the billboards. Interstate 65 between Nashville and Huntsville is particularly creepy. Funny part is, in southern Tennessee, the "burn in Hell" boards pop up between Jack Daniels Distillery boards, lottery boards, and strip joint/adult bookstore boards...and those disappear when you enter Alabama. Then, it's gun shops, antique malls, and "burn in Hell for not calling us because only we know the way to salvation" boards. LOL

@eriley74, how do you stay on task when writing? I get overwhelmed with anything but poetry or prose. I have written "character maps" and some dialog but find it hard to commit to a long term view of a story. I've been encouraged all my life to write, I just dont know where to start that the writing stay cohesive and continuous.

New Threads

Top Bottom