• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi and stuff

jayrod211

I was going to post this in the "What are your biggest burdens and gifts" thread I somehow found, but realized that nobody had posted on the thread in almost 3 months and I didn't want to be that guy. I figure it works as an introductory post, though, so that's cool.

I write stories, memorize all sorts of mindless trivia, and collect old globes and maps. I'm oddly proud of my ability to navigate traffic and always be passing people without speeding and erratically changing lanes like a maniac, and I'm relentlessly judgmental of myself and others.

I am newly diagnosed after 36 years of wondering what the hell was wrong with me. Well, probably less than that. I don't think I realized I was too different until 1st or 2nd grade. I tend to vacillate between being grateful for the explanation of how I think/feel/react to things, and wishing that I was still ignorant of it all and pretending that it was everyone else who was somehow wrong.

Either way, this is what I've discovered about me and ASD so far:

The Good - I'm my friends' walking dictionary/thesaurus and their encyclopedia of 18th-19th century Europe. I guess that's useful occasionally...at least when they ask me to spell things or if they're using the right word. I don't field many questions from them on Napoleonic France.

The Bad

I'm a slave to my routines. When there's unexpected (and even sometimes planned for and expected) change I either have an outburst or shut down.

I have an overwhelming urge to correct others and tell them what they don't know about something. I've been told people don't like this. I don't get it, because when someone tells me something I didn't know or was something I was doing wrong and they tell me the right way to do it, I learned something and that's awesome. I wish other people felt the same way because then I would talk a lot more.

Until they get to know me, people assume I'm lying all the time because I have such a problem making eye contact. The irony is that I'm almost incapable of lying and I can't make regular eye contact with someone until I've decided they're not going to stab me in the face if I make a mistake. This takes me way longer than most people I've figured out. Usually by the time I've decided I can almost trust someone, they've already written me off and moved on. I don't have a whole lot friends. The ones I do have that are willing put up with me and help keep me in line because they like me are saints, though.

I'm easily distracted by pretty much anything else when someone is talking in a conversation. Also, because of the eye contact thing, when I think it's my turn to talk, sometimes I'll keep talking and only realize somewhat later they've turned away or walked away and I've been talking to myself. It's embarrassing.

I don't know how to act around other people. I try to be nice to everyone, but only because I know my default setting is "kind of a jerk" if I don't keep a constant eye on my own behavior. It's exhausting.

I barely trust anyone, even on the most basic level, because I tend to believe they're being just as fake as me (see above line). I don't like compliments. This one really sucks because the only thing I want in this life is to genuinely connect with another human being. I don't feel like any woman I've ever dated or any friend I've ever had has ever really gotten to know the real me. I know in my head I have some really good friends, but my instincts are always telling me that betrayal is right around the corner. It's a constant battle.

When someone touches me uninvited I react in a (let's be kind) extremely negative manner.

I don't do sarcasm at all. I don't get it. I don't use it. Everything I say I mean 100% and I guess in this society that's drenched in sarcasm and irony I don't fit in.

I don't know if this is related to it, but I have problems putting names with faces unless I've seen them a whole bunch. This is weird, but I'm only really able to recognize people by their voices to start.

The worst part for me is the overwhelming desire to be normal and fit in. Then there's the disconnect and resulting depression that comes from knowing that's impossible. I didn't ask for this.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! You'd be surprised how many people can identify with your story. I hope you can make yourself at home here. :)

Welcome to the forums. I can relate to some of it, but not all. You make me feel normal.

Being touched, yes, thank god, finally someone else feels this way. I have wanted to rip some peoples faces off for touching me, it is the worst feeling in the world.

Names to faces, yes, I used to call about 3 women Debbie at work, but I don't think any of them were actually named Debbie. Once I called a guy who worked closely with me Daniel for 3 months. His name was David. It's not because I'm stupid, I just see the face and say whatever name comes to mind, and it sounds right to me at the time.

Anyway, I'm much better socially. I listened to my parents when they nagged me about looking people in the eye. And I never rambled about topics at length. People who talk to me think I'm kinda normal. People who don't talk to me might think I'm freakishly anti-social.

God, I find eye contact literally painful. I just *can't* do it for long, but I'll force myself to, so as to at least appear that I'm paying attention. As for names and faces... my family can't understand when I don't recognize certain distant relatives that I've met before, but the fact is, unless I've known someone for a very long time, and see them on a constant basis, I literally cannot remember what they look like, much less their name...

Strangely, though, I have no problems with lying, in fact, I can lie far too easily, a nasty habit. I also have a well developed, if somewhat obscure, sense of sarcasm and humor... though I attribute that to my being very well read.

I should maybe clarify on the eye contact thing. I hate doing it unless I know the person really well. I do it at work because I'm a supervisor at my job and if you give people orders without looking them in the eye they won't take you seriously. It does help, though, to pretend to be looking out at the cubicles for people who potentially need my help when I really just don't want to look at the person I'm talking to.

It's a lot more difficult on dates and whatnot. Or to get dates. Thankfully I'm funny (or so I'm told at least), because I'm already playing life on hard mode. It'd just be cruel to not have anything that I can use to my advantage.

I've always wondered what it is about eye contact... I really can't stand making eye contact, but I honestly can't understand why... ah, the mysteries of being an aspie.

I should maybe clarify on the eye contact thing. I hate doing it unless I know the person really well. I do it at work because I'm a supervisor at my job and if you give people orders without looking them in the eye they won't take you seriously. It does help, though, to pretend to be looking out at the cubicles for people who potentially need my help when I really just don't want to look at the person I'm talking to.

It's a lot more difficult on dates and whatnot. Or to get dates. Thankfully I'm funny (or so I'm told at least), because I'm already playing life on hard mode. It'd just be cruel to not have anything that I can use to my advantage.
Good going if you can get people to take your seriously. I've never had much luck at that, even with eye contact. People take themselves and old white males seriously, is my conclusion.

I've always wondered what it is about eye contact... I really can't stand making eye contact, but I honestly can't understand why... ah, the mysteries of being an aspie.
You're probably right. It's a bad practice. I intend to stop doing it.

New Threads

Top Bottom