• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi all!

Eric B

46 year old most-likely Aspie, unofficially diagnosed by my wife (who just got her second Master's in psychology; second because the state raised some requirement for a license, or something) who identified the symptoms. So it explains everything in my life. She also got me into temperament, which also explains a lot, and by extension, MBTI, and Jungian theory. I've written extensively on this. (I think found the board when the MBTI thread came up in a search).

Operate NYC Subway trains, which is one of my lifelong interests, growing up riding them (pressing the adult to take me to the front; not most front or "railfan" windows are obscured by full width operator's cabs). I like it, but the job is really controlling, and they are constantly cracking down on us for things. So easy to make serious mistakes. But I've been performing well.

Perhaps the poster child for out whole syndrome, is Darius McCollum, who is so interested in trains that he is known for stealing subway trains (And now he's moved into railroads, and even Trailways more recently). Was never THAT much into them. Did wonder what it was like, but was always more interested in the different equipment (different car classes that run on different lines), and what lines ran where, when service would be changed.
So rather than trying to steal trains, I waited until the position was opened to the public (it used to be promotional only for MTA workers such as Conductor or Cleaner), which was 2000/2001. So I've been here for 11 years now.

I'm right now going through a very difficult midlife crisis, pretty the fallout from a difficult life with people, and particularly teens, and being regarded as weird by most peers, no girls (first date at 26, and she's the one I married), and parents and other authority figures just blaming all my problems on me and pushing me to change.

I've all along had the typical problems; motor skill problems, too intensely into my interests for everyone around me (though my wife is coming to accept it more and more), constant problems with people, and now pretty much having no close friends at all; social life is completely in internet forum posts involving my interests, (wife long feels neglected), need to flex certain muscles in a way not typical of others, etc.

I've been to a couple of the local GRASP meetings (And the Global and NYC Yahoo lists) and just fell away. There are a lot of people there who are worse off than me, and I saw myself in them, though in exaggerated form, and it's hard to see for me. (Like at the meetings, this one guy was rehashing some conflict at an earlier meeting or convention or something, and that's something I would do in the right circumstances).
The topics here looked more interesting than the Yahoo lists (which seem to be an internet format that's fading anyway), hence, I figured I'd join.

Was so desperate, I confided in a "friend" online who seemed so accepting, but then I spilled too much (including my wife's concerns about her), it caused problems on both ends, and the friendship had to end, so I'm depressed about that these days, along with the rest of the midlife thing. (Trying to understand it in light of Jungian concepts such as the "anima").

These are my primary pages (with links to everything else):

ERIC T B Index

erictb

Also, I had started to join from my phone at a lunch break on work, but then figured I'd wait until I got home. So when I typed in the address, I left off the "s" in the middle, and ended up on the other forum (which I also saw at the same time), and thought it was this forum, joined, but then found it was filled with spam. I then figured it must be "aspies" instead of "aspie"; added the s, and then found this site. I don't know how to cancel the registration of the other one.
Does anyone know about that site? Is it phishing or something? What should I do about it?

Hi, welcome to Aspies Central!

That aspiecentral.com site looks kind of weird, but I personally wouldn't worry about being registered on it too much.

Welcome to aspiescentral.com, you’re bound to find some information around the place as well as a lot friendly faces.

Losing or finishing friendships it seems, is a common thing for somebody with Aspergers, whether you accidentally put your foot in something or just find the relationship too confusing, so don’t beat yourself up about that ; ]

Oh welcome welcome to AC! We're a great place for fun, support, information...just stuff in general. We're a great group of people so stick around awhile.

Welcome to aspiescentral.com, you’re bound to find some information around the place as well as a lot friendly faces.

Losing or finishing friendships it seems, is a common thing for somebody with Aspergers, whether you accidentally put your foot in something or just find the relationship too confusing, so don’t beat yourself up about that ; ]
Yea; now she just told me this morning she was considering giving it another shot, but because I had sent another person a message to give to her, now I've torn it again. (And my wife said that's like stalking). It's like everything I'm doing is making it worse.

If this is at all helpful, I was thinking that it might be worth starting a thread about the situation here, only if talking about it is something you feel up to, you may end up with some good advice.

I usually would love to do something like that, but I think I've been spilling too much stuff already (to her, about her, etc), and before this even happened, she didn't really want me to start a discussion on her on a typology (MBTI) board (I thought she was such an interesting person, etc. and love to type everything I know. I never did, though), so I don't want to be starting any topics on her. As it is, I'm hoping she accepts my two apologies, but I'm fearing it might be the "third strike".

Maybe I'll do something about the lifelong issues this is but the latest part of, but I just got here, and since it involves stuff like sexual frustration, I don't even know how much of that is allowed, yet. For now, it will certainly be a highlight of my counseling session this afternoon.

It my daily internet circuit (One of m AS routines), I forgot about here already (sorry!)
I might as well close this out by saying she forgave me, and it made me feel much better. (She has her own issues, and something will set her off, triggering her own stuff, but then she will usually come around and forgive the person, especially when her roommate calms her down). But I had gotten too attached, and decided to take a break from correspondence for awhile. I really want to work on the issues that got me so attached in the first place (in counseling and otherwise), because I realize they will go nowhere. Still thinking about starting a topic on the issues, but I wonder if some of it would be too personal.

The whole thing prompted me to begin reading Lovett's Solution for Adults with Asperger's Syndrome, which my wife had gotten me a while ago, and I hadn't gotten to yet. It's pretty good, and really explains things. Nearly finished, now. After that, there is Gaus, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Adult Asperger Syndrome. (This was a book my wife needed to do a paper on).

New Threads

Top Bottom