• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

help me please

Anime <3

Ok so i don't know how to use this site and if i'm doing it right but i'm just going to write my problem here. So i'm the youngest in my family so you'd think you would be treated nice but my sister has autism and it sort of makes her act like a child but not really my mum just gives her everything she wants, anyway i'm always being called rude and a brat and saying i should just move to my dads house (were a split family) when i don't even think i'm doing anything wrong! when i tried baking with my family my mum was babying my sister again and wouldn't let me do anything even though my sisters older and she said we'd do it all together so i got mad and started acting 'rude' but i don't think i was, my mum just loses her cool and yells at me all the time saying i'm a worthless brat, and honestly i know sometimes i can be mean because that was the outside character i was given because of the way i talk (people think its a mean tone) when really i'm just a shy quiet girl who wishes people would like her, even at school people fear me because when they get me mad i hurt people but it really makes me sad to see people hurt or cry but i cant seem to get rid of my outside character i even tried to become girly and wear skirts and to be quiet but its hard when i have a short temper. anyway i'm just a little sad because my mum and brother and step dad yell at me all the time when really this is my sisters fault for taking everything away from me, shes not even nice to me and makes me change character to a mean person by basically stealing the family from me. id like to know how a nice girl acts and how to become one please :neutral:

Hi & Welcome,
This is as good place as any to discuss it. Loosing your temper too easily kind of robs you of the chance to analyze the situation and explore other options of improving relationships with other people. The people around you have issue and problems, but you kind of have to fix yourself before you can deal with theirs honestly.

The problem is that your sister doesn't realise she is being mean. She doesn't understand people the way normal people relate to each other. That isn't her fault.
Your mum & dad seem to be protecting her because of this. Perhaps you should just talk to your mum & dad and tell them how you feel. Don't yell and curse because that will only make things worse.

I'm sorry you are having a tough time of things.

Hi there

I can imagine it is very hard, when you are only 15 and have to deal with what in your mind, seems like favoritism, when in actual fact, it is your parents doing all they can to protect your sister who is autistic. But in the meantime, neglecting their other daughter.

To my mind the best way around this, is to turn around and be helpful within the family. You see, if you keep shouting etc, all they see is a perfectly normal girl behaving badly, and wait a minute, doesn't she see with her own eyes, that her sister is a handful to deal with? And thus, they react!

I know it is easy to get angry and actually, you have just described me ( but I don't have to try to be a girly girl, for I am a skirt and dress woman). We love peace and goodness and kindness, but feel so incensed with injustice around us, that we get angry.

It is at all possible that you are an aspie?

Even though it seems all so unfair to you, as it would to any young girl, YOU are in control with how this will end.

You could try writing a letter and explaining how you feel and see what happens.

are you able to objectively mentally step outside of a current situation (as it's happening)? (not to sound rude.. i don't have the tone but my wording can sound rude and i dont mean it).. it sounds like 2 different situations. there is something up with your parents giving your sister more attention and patience than they give to you which obviously just isn't fair. but the tone of a persons voice (yours for example) can make people ignore the actual words being said. not to sidetrack myself too far.. basically, my father has a very loud abrupt deep grumbly almost yelling tone of voice in anything he says. i've become used to it throughout my life but even now is can still bother me and through my teenage years i still heard it as just him yelling all the time. it's not easy to change your tone of voice.. in the case of my father, i kept asking him to whisper because his whisper tone is comparable to my speaking tone and that helped me hear him better (words became actual words, not just angry sounds)
family is tough, parents (from my experience) will always insist they're right even when it's clear they're not. in your sisters case you need to try (it's not easy, it takes time to get it down right) to analyze what she says as she says it. maybe ignore the tone all together and take the literal words. she could be speaking very literally (ie: "why can't you pass me the eggs?" isn't rude, but just an actual simple question because she isn't looking at you to see your hands are full or somebody else is at the fridge.. her equivalent of "please pass me the eggs when you can").
for yourself.. you can try to soften your tone of voice. only change your look if you're comfortable with it.. if you're not, you'll just have one more thing to be angry about and you'll be uncomfortable at the same time. as far as temper.. i have a phenomenal amount of patience during a situation but may explode after the situation is gone (ie: fine during a fight.. the second the fight is over if i know i can talk to somebody about it.. swears and obscenities galore lol) but during the situation i will stay quiet and say the things i want to say in my head. unless those things get out somehow (talking to a 3rd party person.. be it a friend you know is on your side or a psych or just somebody from here. i'm new here but this place seems great).. it's not a healthy thing to do. but my parents raised me around many sayings.. one of which being "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"...... and because i'm very literal, i pretty much didn't speak after that besides some simple responses or questions.

art can also be a good way to focus anger. maybe painting, drawing, poetry, sculpting clay... heck, if you have a stream or beach near you just roam around looking for driftwood and try to figure out what it looks like. every piece of driftwood looks like something.. you may see it right away, it may take days.. but it's there. and once you find that something, it stays there forever. then maybe you could create small clay animals, paint them, put them with the driftwood.. now you have a hobby to help dissipate that anger. and who knows, maybe people will like them so much you can turn it into a profession so now your job literally will keep you happy and relaxed all the time. or only you will like them but that's all that matters anyway. i work with antiques and do house cleanouts and buy items from people from time to time.. when i walk into a house where somebody makes their own art.. they're always very happy people. i think some of the art is terrible, but that's just my opinion and i can appreciate the time and work they put into the piece. but sometimes they make some phenomenal creations i've never even seen before. for example, one woman did a lot of photography stuff.. closeups of flowers and such. but her daughter made her a piece of art when she was young... basically, it was one of those blank chinese food containers you get from Target or whatever. but she unfolded it and used markers to create this amazing symmetrical tribal design. you could tell it was all done by hand and the mother had it framed with a black frame and red background (container was light tan with black marker) and it was amazing to me. i did say i liked the photography because it's the polite thing to do.. and honestly the quality was good. but i kept going back to that chinese food container that i really liked. and she was extra proud about that one because nobody sees it besides her family and a couple friends here and there.. so a 3rd party person like myself was just great. i actually ended up making her cry (we went back a few times, they had a lot of things) so i stopped talking about it after that because eventhough it's a happy crying it still bothers me............ sorry i ramble easy, but you get the idea

Speaking from experience, being a "good girl" isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you are too nice people take advantage of you, or ignore you entirely. A certain degree of assertiveness is an asset for anyone, but especially a woman. I suppose the trick is in discovering the right balance forcefulness and passivity.

From what you have told me it sounds like your parents are under a lot of stress, and not dealing with their emotions appropriately. They show patience to your sister because of her autism, but they let their frustrations out on you. This isn't fair, but it's understandable. Being raised in such an environment could be where you learned your aggressive behavior. This is all pure speculation.

I suppose what I am getting at is that it might help to be more patient with your parents, realizing the stress they are under, but also to let them know, in a calm fashion, that you feel somewhat neglected. It will also help if you can quell your aggression. Exercise is always a good way to "blow off steam". Find a physical activity that you enjoy as this will benefit both your physical and mental health. Breathing exercises and medditation can really help, as can finding a creative outlet, be it dance, music, painting, or whatever.

Rather than simply modifying the behavior get to the root of it. What feelings and beliefs make you behave the way you do? How can you change those feelings and beliefs into something more positive.

It's nobody's fault. Every person in your family deals with all the challenging situations in life the best way they can. Not every person can be observant and insightful. Even the most intelligent people may not notice how their behavior affects others. In some cases all you can do is to deal with the situation because of other people "blindness". I think the situation in your home is not doing any good for you or your siblings but it's not always easy to get people see what the real issues are. I suggest to seek outside help. If you're in school, maybe your school has a counselor (esp. the one who works with special needs kids, because she/ he would understand sibling's of a spesial needs person challenges. Or maybe search for outside school counselor. I don't have any links saved right now, but in my town there's an Autism organization who organizes meetings to talk about siblings challenges all the time. Maybe your town has an organization like thst as well. Try to put some effort into searching for information about siblings of a special needs person because your issues are quite common among special needs families. No matter how hard it is, I would try not to blame your family. Blame doesn't really solve anything. Also don't blame them for not working hard enough to resolve issues, sometime there needs to be one who makes the 1st step, and you can be that 1 person. The fact that you came here, to this forum, already proves that you can try to make things better even if it's not for your whole family, but at least for yourself.

(I very much wish people would like me too. I understand that part!) How to be a nice girl? For my self, I enjoy being quiet. Too many things I say or do can be misinterpreted! I enjoy my room and/or some green space and be quiet and rest. too. (In addition to the exercise therapy mentioned above.)

Mis communication and all the drama. so annoying. When I talk, I just say something stupid and I regret it. or the other humans want to interact (or argue) further. I'd rather not talk. It's my personal choice. (Name calling is not fair discussion. Do you want or need to talk about something? Maybe attempt conversation at a later more logical calm time for that person?)

Maybe this would help you a tiny bit? I don't know? an idea to consider? Just being quiet a little bit? Do you want to live with your dad? do you have a green space or peaceful quiet corner for yourself? Do you share a room with the siblings? Do you read? Do you enjoy music? with the noise cancelling i phones? band? Or choir? or after school sports? debate team? chess? Spanish club? art club? Maybe you would find that helpful?

Welcome to the forum! I find it helps me to know more. That may just be me. But you might want to look into what Aspergers can look like to get a realistic sense of what your sister is able to do and let go of wanting her to be able to do what she is incapable of. There are some good on-line tests that will give you a general idea. Aspergers Adult AQ Test Quiz Online: Autism Spectrum Quotient Aspie Quiz

The difficult situation at home is not your sister's fault, nor is it yours. It's one of those things that happens in life. I agree with the advise above to try to get to talk to a counsellor. You might also look into ways of learning to stay calm in stressful situations such as meditation or mindfulness. That is a skill that will serve you well the rest of your life.

I agree too with the point of NIGHTgirl to look up activities that are your own and that you enjoy to give you a space to recharge as the family does not serve as such. I retreated into books when I was a teenager. Still love them, I can 'get away' anytime, anywhere as long as I have a good book.

New Threads

Top Bottom