• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help me make a decision

Do you have hobbies? What are you "passionate" about? Is there anything you can occupy your mind with that is not painful?

I watch tv shows and movies. I also read lots of fanfiction. I was heavily into gaming but a few months back I have lost the interest. It would take a really attractive game to get me hooked again but for attractive games, I need a better rig. I can't afford that.

I am also really into cooking but I am unable to afford that hobby either.

I watch tv shows and movies. I also read lots of fanfiction. I was heavily into gaming but a few months back I have lost the interest. It would take a really attractive game to get me hooked again but for attractive games, I need a better rig. I can't afford that.

Xbox > PC gaming.

Some very attractive games on Xbox One.

And cheaper than a Ninja PC with a fancy graphics card etc.

Planning to become a billionaire is impossible.

Planning to become a multi-millionaire is realistic. 1 million is pretty easy, but it gets increasingly difficult from there. Once you get to 5 million you are running into factors that are too variable to plan for. Is that good enough?

Edit:
Nevermind. You are studying for an Engineering degree.
So you are on the right path. Learn some social skills to deal with the brainless ditzes at HR and you are good to go.

The second problem depends on where you live. Most likely you are out of luck. Capital Gains Tax is Satan and living in one of the few countries that doesn't have it is a huge advantage. With CGT the stock exchange is pretty much worthless.

Worst case scenario, you will have to work for a while saving money and gaining work experience (Not too hard as 50k out of school is not unusual for engineering majors) until you have enough capital to expatriate to a country without CGT with a job lined up there. At that point you can continue working while investing your capital in the stock market.

First 10 years at 50k, next 20 years at 100k/year comes down to nearly 2 million assuming 20k/year spending. However, a big factor is when you are able to invest your money, taking into account both CGT and market cycles. Buying at the top of the market is worthless, and it can easily take 10 years to find a good opportunity assuming you go for an index fund. If you can learn how to invest things get better, but this is a huge trap and you can lose... well... everything. Investing also allows the whole billionaire thing to become possible. But again, it's a risky situation.

Well, good luck my future multi-millionaire evil genius. Although I think that by the time you reach 1 million you'll be laughing about your dad being an asshole and will only remember all the years of rent-free living.

Oh right. Rent-free living is awesome and can speed things up. Don't piss off your dad too much.

The reason I didn't mention starting a business is that 99% of businesses end with the owner working day and night just to keep things operational. Work your high paying job while perhaps starting up low-cost businesses that have an idea that has a shot. Always start small and with minimal cost/time investment and try to get the business to pay for itself. From there on you just expand by reinvesting profit from the business. Most new businesses fail, so simply understand that most businesses you start will also fail. So don't take too much risk financially and stick to low-cost ideas. And a business failing and losing a small amount of money is no big deal, just try again the next time. It's only a big deal if you lose a lot of money, so don't risk a lot.

Last edited:
Planning to become a billionaire is impossible.

Planning to become a multi-millionaire is realistic. 1 million is pretty easy, but it gets increasingly difficult from there. Once you get to 5 million you are running into factors that are too variable to plan for. Is that good enough?

Edit:
Nevermind. You are studying for an Engineering degree.
So you are on the right path. Learn some social skills to deal with the brainless ditzes at HR and you are good to go.

The second problem depends on where you live. Most likely you are out of luck. Capital Gains Tax is Satan and living in one of the few countries that doesn't have it is a huge advantage. With CGT the stock exchange is pretty much worthless.

Worst case scenario, you will have to work for a while saving money and gaining work experience (Not too hard as 50k out of school is not unusual for engineering majors) until you have enough capital to expatriate to a country without CGT with a job lined up there. At that point you can continue working while investing your capital in the stock market.

First 10 years at 50k, next 20 years at 100k/year comes down to nearly 2 million assuming 20k/year spending. However, a big factor is when you are able to invest your money, taking into account both CGT and market cycles. Buying at the top of the market is worthless, and it can easily take 10 years to find a good opportunity assuming you go for an index fund. If you can learn how to invest things get better, but this is a huge trap and you can lose... well... everything. Investing also allows the whole billionaire thing to become possible. But again, it's a risky situation.

Well, good luck my future multi-millionaire evil genius. Although I think that by the time you reach 1 million you'll be laughing about your dad being an asshole and will only remember all the years of rent-free living.

Oh right. Rent-free living is awesome and can speed things up. Don't piss off your dad too much.

The reason I didn't mention starting a business is that 99% of businesses end with the owner working day and night just to keep things operational. Work your high paying job while perhaps starting up low-cost businesses that have an idea that has a shot. Always start small and with minimal cost/time investment and try to get the business to pay for itself. From there on you just expand by reinvesting profit from the business. Most new businesses fail, so simply understand that most businesses you start will also fail. So don't take too much risk financially and stick to low-cost ideas. And a business failing and losing a small amount of money is no big deal, just try again the next time. It's only a big deal if you lose a lot of money, so don't risk a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. It means a lot.

Unfortunately I am from a third world country. Here engineers don't get paid 50k right after graduating.

I wish I could immigrate to a country with a better economy but everything is holding me back. It's a very complicated process for someone like me. My bad social skills are preventing me from gaining enough knowledge about the system. Don't know how will I ever get a job. Probably no one will even accept me after the interview. They will say "You don't need a job. You need a straitjacket" or something like that.

Last edited:
Ah crap. Yea that is a genuinely bad place to be born into.

However, some countries have very lax rules when it comes to immigration of engineers. Naturally, you will be paid a crap wage (probably better than what you can get in your home country, though) because the company has to handle your visa application and such. Most of this info can be found on the internet, so a little bit of research can go a long way.

Singapore is one country that is interesting to look into. Chemical engineering is a big thing there (petroleum refinement I believe) and they used to have very lax rules for immigration. Things are becoming harder but if you can manage it's a great place to expatriate to. And of course... no CGT afaik.

Living in a 3rd world country might be the biggest obstacle you face outside of yourself. It is difficult enough in places like the US and Europe to find supports for ASD adults. I can only imagine what it's like in developing nations. I think you should consider yourself priceless for no other reason than the fact that you exist. Admire yourself! the heck with what anyone else thinks. Do you think most of them could handle your challenges as well as you? If self esteem is a problem for you, perhaps you could help someone else with a problem they have. I have found there is great truth in ''finding yourself by losing yourself in the service of others''.

Living in a 3rd world country might be the biggest obstacle you face outside of yourself. It is difficult enough in places like the US and Europe to find supports for ASD adults. I can only imagine what it's like in developing nations. I think you should consider yourself priceless for no other reason than the fact that you exist. Admire yourself! the heck with what anyone else thinks. Do you think most of them could handle your challenges as well as you? If self esteem is a problem for you, perhaps you could help someone else with a problem they have. I have found there is great truth in ''finding yourself by losing yourself in the service of others''.

Thanks for the kind words.

I see how I am playing the game of life in a difficult mode. But that doesn't mean anything. I am not handling my situation well because I am still failing. It will mean something only if I somehow able to reach my unrealistic goals. I need to win something. But I don't know how. That's the problem.

It's like trying to win a marathon with no legs.

I see how I am playing the game of life in a difficult mode. But that doesn't mean anything. I am not handling my situation well because I am still failing. It will mean something only if I somehow able to reach my unrealistic goals. I need to win something. But I don't know how. That's the problem.

It's like trying to win a marathon with no legs.
Who says you are failing? If it is you, STOP THINKING IT! Every day of life is a successful day. If you need to 'win' something, please consider my suggestion and look for ways to be of service to others.You will feel better and EVERYONE WINS when we reach out in support of each other and you might just find that service and kindness will find their way back to you. I did! (they might come back to you in the form of employment, recommendations, and open doors that lead to your aforementioned goals)

Part of you wants to die and end the pain. That's a given from your message. But part of you wants to live. That's also a given, or else you would not have written the message. Which part is stronger? I think the part that wants to live is stronger, or else you would have done it already.

You are in pain. I think nearly everyone here has felt that pain, and wanted to end it like you are considering, but somehow we manage to keep going, if not a day at a time, then an hour at a time, or even a minute at a time. In my case the only reason I am still alive is that I thought about what would happened if I made the attempt and survived. The pain would have multiplied. I still feel the pain of ostracism and loneliness, and sometimes I feel like ending it all, but I still go on.

Vengeance is not the answer either. Getting revenge feels good for a moment, but is empty and unsatisfying. There is no real closure.

Vengeance is not the answer either. Getting revenge feels good for a moment, but is empty and unsatisfying. There is no real closure.

But the pain I feel when I see my bullies live a better life than me is unbearable. One of my bullies who called me shorty all the time, is now around 6'4", very popular and has already immigrated to usa with a software engineering degree. He is making mega money now while I am drowning in misery. He even went as far as to send me a friend request on fb! How dare HE!

Another guy has a multi millionaire dad and he posts all these pics on fb with his expensive cars, going to expensive restaurants with friends. Stuff like that makes my blood boil. Karma is bs. I can't help but think about getting revenge in one way or another. But that's not possible with my poverty and lack of social power.

I don't know where you are, but in much of the industrialized west there are a great many people who cannot get a university education. You may be in a bad place in many senses, but you also have some advantages... you need to find a place where you can use them efficiently is all.

One advantage you have is brains. No stupid people attempt engineering degrees, I get that you're in pain but it will be difficult for people to help you with your real problems when they see that you're making some up.

I'm 50, didn't even know what autism was two years ago. I've always known that I was different, but am just beginning to appreciate how different in some key ways. Perhaps you're different in a similar way, and it is difficult to see how others could possibly have treated you so badly. I tend to think exceptionally logically, and what I consider to be obvious is often not at all so to most people. It is unusual to want to find out what something is before deciding what to do with it or how to treat it. You are perhaps less slave to your emotions than your abusers are to theirs, you are less susceptible to the primitive drives that make people fear that which is different. Perhaps you would more carefully consider the effect of your actions before acting than they would.

I wasn't there and don't know what they did to you or why. Whatever happened, you should not suppose that they justified their actions to themselves as you would justify your actions to yourself. For most of my life I've assumed that most people put way, way more thought into the ethical consequences of their actions than they actually do. They copy each other, and if we're lucky we live in a place where they copy decent behaviour. If we're unlucky, we live in a time and place where people burn 'witches'.

Many people will think that someone is stupid because they don't understand the person. Many people will come to the conclusion that something is unimportant before they know what it is, they will think that someone who takes something unimportant seriously is stupid. Being misunderstood can be difficult. It sucks that people who were not smart or patient enough to understand you called you retarded. What sucks even more is that you listened. Not blaming you, but if I may say it gently you should know better.

The universe has a way to punish the bad people...but not at the right time...but it will happen... The universe corrects itself... hidden intricate laws... pervade the matter/system of the universe...

For example... on bully of mine, 2 years after ended up being found for fraud and all his friends mock him behind his back... another bully, 2 years later was put in jail for a drinking and driving offence...

Bad people...do more bad things to others... and eventually bad things happen to them... the universe corrects itself... the important thing...right now...is for you to take care of you my friend...

have you ever thought of going to a Christian charity ?in your country !I don't mean become a Christian !!!I mean just ask for help ! I used to watch a TV show called the '700 club 'and they regularly help people in different countries !it's actually broadcast on different networks in different countries !

have you ever thought of going to a Christian charity ?in your country !I don't mean become a Christian !!!I mean just ask for help ! I used to watch a TV show called the '700 club 'and they regularly help people in different countries !it's actually broadcast on different networks in different countries !

My bad social skills prevent me from getting enough knowledge about the system. I don't know any place where they help people like me. I basically have no idea about the outside world. Tried to do some research online but no luck.

You might have a hard time believing this but it's true. That's how bad my autism is. That's why I say I feel I am close to lowest part of the spectrum.

Even if there is such an organization, they won't give me the amount of money I need. I will still be poor and on top of that I will feel more pathetic for living of off someone's sympathy.

My bad social skills prevent me from getting enough knowledge about the system. I don't know any place where they help people like me. I basically have no idea about the outside world. Tried to do some research online but no luck.

You might have a hard time believing this but it's true. That's how bad my autism is. That's why I say I feel I am close to lowest part of the spectrum.

Even if there is such an organization, they won't give me the amount of money I need. I will still be poor and on top of that I will feel more pathetic for living of off someone's sympathy.
you do very well ,tell them you're autistic !they've given different people in different countries different things in China they gave a girl a wedding dress ,in South America they gave a woman a sewing machine so she could start a business ,in the Ukraine they just give people food! you might call yourself low functioning but you seem to be exactly the same as me and I'm called high functioning ,I'm in what's called a first world country where people do literally starve to death.I nearly did ,Christian charities are fully aware people need help ,the salvation army in the USA know people are spending their money on heating ,so they go to a food kitchen as they wouldn't have food ,I've eaten from the food bank it kept me alive.
I wish people in Third World countries were given information about the UK ,so they didn't think they would be given enough to live on ,what is called welfare is really a loan and they make you feel like a criminal if you keep asking for it.
there are also not enough places to live and landlords are corrupt .
i'm telling you this just so you might save somebody literally.

I was in a christian charity, they helped me alot...even when I had breakdowns and was crazy... eventually I became strong enough to help them for a few years... and I contributed back...but honesty and goodness go along way...

I understand,I also have complex ptsd along with being on the spectrum and I have struggled with my own issues,I question my intelligence everyday and feel like some days are a struggle for me,you are young and you don’t know what the future holds for you,there were things that I was certain would never happen for me like getting married but I was proven wrong and sometimes life can do that where it can pleasantly surprise you even when you think it’s impossible,but saying that I still have my moments of sadness or there are things that may trigger of a bad memory but there are things in my life that are good too.

New Threads

Top Bottom