• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello.

Axeman52

Hi - I am Matt, I'm 23 years old. Now that stuff is out of the way:

I have joined this forum because i'm not so much "Self-diagnosed" with aspergers syndrome as i'm no medical professional by any means, but i just suspect that i have AS or a similar ASD. I am currently undecided as to whether i should go for a diagnosis or not. In many ways i'm getting on fine without any formal diagnosis, i mean, i could be doing a lot worse. It's difficult for me to discuss it with close family as they are a bit dismissive and unhelpful, it's like my parents will make comments about how i might be "slightly autistic" and when i bring it up in a serious discussion they brush it off as "just teasing/joking/etc".

I guess it would be appropriate to talk about special interests - i've had a lifetime interest in music and electric guitars, as well as seemingly random interests that come and go in little phases, such as cars, skyscrapers, robot wars, final fantasy, computer programming, video game consoles, robot wars, regular show, top gear, meerkats, angry beavers, etc... i also go through phases of being obsessed with different bands and particular songs of theirs, currently obsessed with the beach boys, mostly because of their vocal harmonies and interesting arrangements, i've been listening to surfer girl about 50 times a day for the last 2 weeks!

I tend to collect things relating to special interests where it's applicable. I have shelves in my room full of model cars from when i was a kid - i didn't want little matchbox toy cars, i wanted highly detailed models! I also have upwards of 30 electric guitars (i deliberately avoid counting them), partly because i lived in cheap accommodation when i went to university, ate the same cheap meals on a daily basis, saving money wherever i could to buy more guitars with my student loan - I did end up getting a degree at the end of it too, but i think i appreciate the guitars i bought more than the qualification. I have no idea how i'm ever going to be able to keep buying new strings for them. And video games consoles - i have most the classic systems - you name it, i probably have it.

Some of these interests just disappeared while others come back every now and then and others remain only less intense, for example i can play the old final fantasy games and they take me back to a time where i would get up at 5am every morning to play for a few hours before i had to go to school because it was something i needed to do to be able to get through the day at school, i don't get anywhere near as intensely hooked on them as i did, but i still enjoy them.

Well, that turned into a little more than the "short introduction" i had intended, and suddenly it's gone 3am.

(ahhh! getting up at 5 am to play videogames...such nice memories! I remember playing Pokemon Silver on my good old gameboy color! And yeah, also FFVIII!)
I'm super new to this website too, but welcome to the forums anyway! :)

hi - welcome to the forums :) Yes it was nice getting up at 5am and playing video games before school. Just made me feel kinda relaxed and secure for long enough to make me less anxious about having to go to school. The final fantasy 2 world map theme brings back fond memories:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matt, nice to meet you! It does sound like you do have a type of Autism, but I can't offer any help on the diagnoses since I haven't gone through it. And the sudden interest in various hobbies, interests and activities does sound like something someone with Autism would do.

Hi :)

I think just discussing and reading about other people's experiences and difficulties and my own might help me decide whether to go for a diagnosis or not. My closest friend tells me i have some quite obvious autistic traits and keeps telling me to go for a diagnosis, but at the moment i just don't know whether or not it would be beneficial for me to do so. I know that's something i have to figure out for myself, though.

im new to this form to i think it's a personal decision that only you can make to be diagnosed you had said your getting alone just fine to though

New Threads

Top Bottom