• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

Sablerose

Hi . .
I guess im here for like minds and answers. Something I have spent a lifetime searching for. I was diagnosed in the late 60s early 70s with hyperactivity. It was extremely apparent as most girls were not diagnosed with that and they put me on tranquilizers as was the norm back then. . . Hahaha. Well that didnt last long as they could never seem to find the right does to make me "normal" (I assume that was the intent by the doctors back then)

As years went by so did the many diagnoses. . . Hyperactivity became bipolar with ocd tendencies, chronic depression, that in turn became adhd. . . There was no "types" or numbers . . . Just adhd. . Like it was just hyperactivity, just add, but again we are only up to the 90s. And the ritilin did help some with my issues but it made the fidgeting stuff way worse but i could at times get my brain to shut up an sleep more often then not so i let that diagnoses ride. Made more sense out of my life. . . I must have the right answer even though it still seemed to not address Many of the issues i still faced with myself and the world outside my home.

Again lets fast forward, I got married in my fourties to a man of the same age with very little social skills. . . Its how we connected. . . The dislike of social interactions and love of sci-fi and monster movies drew us together in a nutshell. We both were art majors as well. We always knew we were different but i had my adhd diagnoses (along with others, lupus loves its "friends") And we had everyday life to deal with.

Now older and my husband close to retirement we still search now and then trying to find help for him as i basically had mine. He kept saying he thought it was autism, i argued to death that it could not be, we had autistic kids in school and they were brought in in wheelchairs on the short bus. He was not a short bus kind of guy so i would not listen. . . Yeah i have my own issues as you can see.

Somehow he got me to watch a few youtube videos from people with aspergers. . . . I was bawling my eyes out by the end (Im super emotional. . The adhd side of me im thinking) because the stories i was hearing was me, it was not just my story but some of them were exactly like my husband in the way he does stuff.

Ive worn a mask , many many masks over the years to the point i couldnt see me anymore only what i was supposed to be and everytime id get there id crack and shut down for sometimes years til i could face outside my door even. Yet he stayed. No one ever stayed but he did, there had to ve something wrong with him too, he even said that same thing. We both knew we are very different from others. . . Like aliens lol. Yes, I jest but im pretty sure people here can follow me for once in my long life.

Getting my hubby diagnosed I think will help him, but getting him to a doc is like trying to make a pig fly. Im positive and have no doubts after my research that im on the autism spectrum and not just adhd or whatever the heck the VA wishes to throw at me in lable form but i dont need an official diagnoses at this late stage of life. We are from a far different generation where you didnt even talk about these things let alone admit you saw a doctor about it.

I tend to just read and not say much but when i get excited i might post forever. . . Just a heads up but maybe others are like that here too. . . Silent or cant shut me up lol.

I do have one question no doctor could ever give me a reason for.

Does anyone here ever zone out? Like your entire body shuts down for a brief time, you can see, you can hear but you can not move or speak? And you cant break out of it easily. . . Tends to happen if i get to lost in thought. They jusy say. . "I dunno. . . Could Be a lot of things. . . " Whatever, its happened all my life maybe someday i will get an answer

Sorry so long winded, but im a bit nervous even "talking" here so ill just stop rambling now, thanks for reading all this if you are still here.

1682087687734.png

Welcome! Glad you seem to have found who you are. Unfortunately, it's not unusual for women on the spectrum to go through a series of misdiagnoses before getting diagnosed or self-identified, and to endure incorrect "treatment" along the way.

It took me a while to become a regular poster here, but some people stay as mostly readers / lurkers and that's perfectly fine as well. :)

If you haven't read them, two books you may find interesting are:

and

The latter is an excellent book on de-masking (never too late) while the former goes into the history of autism including a look at some earlier communities which may have had many (then undiagnosed) autistic persons, including science fiction fan groups.

Welcome! Glad you seem to have found who you are. Unfortunately, it's not unusual for women on the spectrum to go through a series of misdiagnoses before getting diagnosed or self-identified, and to endure incorrect "treatment" along the way.

It took me a while to become a regular poster here, but some people stay as mostly readers / lurkers and that's perfectly fine as well. :)

If you haven't read them, two books you may find interesting are:

and

The latter is an excellent book on de-masking (never too late) while the former goes into the history of autism including a look at some earlier communities which may have had many (then undiagnosed) autistic persons, including science fiction fan groups.
Thank you so much for the reading suggestions, I will look into both.

But you said it best, finally meeting myself after such a long time searching. I plan to talk to my therapist about this as well. At this point it honestly makes no difference in my diagnoses to anyone but myself but man does it feel good to look in that mirror and actually see yourself and you are NOT broken, you are not screwed up, you may still be weird and awkward but you SEE YOU. It feels pretty darn good to know there are others like yourself. Things finally make sense, there is an order, a reason. Honestly, its a relief.

Hi @Sablerose,

Sounds about right.

Sounds like they gave you every diagnosis but the "right" one?

Welcome :)
A lot of that I believe was because back when i was in the age range they would gave found it the modern definitions were not there. There was no such thing as add or adhd yet and any abnormality was quickly ' fixed' . . . sit on those darn hands when you talk. . . Stop that rocking around others, you want them to think you are crazy? And no one had a therapist haha. So I cant blame them but boy did stumble upon an answer when i wasnt even searching for myself. I mean i have adhd right? im good. . . Ha! It has been a band aid at best for answers . . . Not anymore, i know inside for the first time in my life I am in the right place, the signs, the symptoms, my whole crazy life. . . It just fits. . . I can finally see me In there someplace. . . Maybe someday i can even take off my mask

Hi @Sablerose

Welcome to the Forums. Sounds like you have had a rough time of it. Pull up a chair, relax, breath, and read the posts. If somethign connects with you perhaps ponder a while or post a comment or reply

Thank you for the nice welcome and yes, i have had a wild ride but for the first time in my life I feel a peace just knowing there are others like me out there and im not alone.

I'm on the autism spectrum and my husband is too. I diagnosed him in the early 2000's but called it aspergers when that was more of a thing. He's like Sheldon Cooper so it wasnt too difficult to put 2 and 2 together. His (our mutual) psychiatrist agreed with me. So did my husband. A few years later she hit me with same diagosis but I refused/return to sender. I already had depression, anxiety, ADHD, addiction & eating disorders. Five years ago I saw a documentary on Autism and a woman they interviewed was just like me; creative, funky jewelry, socially struggling, passing for normal until she didnt and baffled about why. I took a couple of quizzes and scored 'more autistic' than my husband. And wound up here. I' m in my 60's and still trying to be OK. HAHA!
welcome.

We are around the same age with very similar stories, thank you so much for sharing it with me. I loved the creative with funky jewelry, apparently my clothing choices are strange to younger people ( or so i have been told by a few) so this really made me actually laugh out loud! I know i belong here, i know in my heart my hubby does too though getting him to get tested will probably never happen . . . he hates doctors and says we know, its good enough. I have to respect his choices but I think he would feel better with a definite professional answer but its not my choice.

Hello and welcome! I’m confident that you will find like minds and answers here. I’m glad you have found us. Take your time settling in and let us know if you need any help figuring things out.

Welcome to the forums @Sablerose.

Some of what you wrote tugged at my memories like cotton candy filaments. I resisted seeing a mental health professional at the age of eleven after throwing a bit of a tantrum and running out of the house and locking myself in the family automobile.

As I was always much too shy until significantly into my twenties, I kept a very low profile throughout my formative years. I was diagnosed in my early twenties with schizophrenia and put on both Stelazine and Thorazine for around a month. One or both of those drugs made me hyper to the point of not being able to sit still for long without one or both knees bouncing, and obviously I was not truly schizoid. This was all decades before I actually let myself be somewhat bullied (not an accurate way to describe it because it was my spouse who suggested that I had Asperger's) into seeking help.

This was in my early forties and by that time it did little for me except save my job (an important enough reason but that came a decade or more after the original diagnosis).

I made it through life with very little trouble, mainly because I am a bit of a homebody and do not socialize much with new people. What sustained me for my whole life were my dreams (much more interesting than real life), my passions (TV, Movies, Books, and Music), and my insular nature.

I love Science Fiction and Fantasy and managed to hang out at various times with writers of same. Harlan Ellison, Philip K Dick, Robert Silverberg, Stephen King, Gene Wolfe, Norman Spinrad, Philip Jose Farmer, Larry Niven, Ron Goulart, David Gerrold, Robert Bloch, John Brunner, Michael Moorcock, Arthur Byron Cover, Ed Bryant, and others were some of the many writers I met. Some of them I knew for many years, Harlan Ellison for one and Ed Bryant officiated at my wedding.

All my social interactions mostly came from two Science Fiction/Fantasy bookstores in the Los Angles area (A Change of Hobbit and Dangerous Visions) and the many signings and appearances at one or the other. I remember, on more than one occasion, Harlan sitting in the window of Dangerous Visions and writing short stories.

Because of all my sustaining passions, I rarely had a public meltdown or spent enough time with anyone for them to spot my innate peculiarities.

Anyway, apologies for writing so much. Just wanted to say there are more people here that understand and share your neurology, so you need not feel at all reticent about joining in and exploring. This place gets me through bad weeks, even if I am only reading and not commenting.

Welcome to a different world.

Welcome to the forums @Sablerose.

Some of what you wrote tugged at my memories like cotton candy filaments. I resisted seeing a mental health professional at the age of eleven after throwing a bit of a tantrum and running out of the house and locking myself in the family automobile.

As I was always much too shy until significantly into my twenties, I kept a very low profile throughout my formative years. I was diagnosed in my early twenties with schizophrenia and put on both Stelazine and Thorazine for around a month. One or both of those drugs made me hyper to the point of not being able to sit still for long without one or both knees bouncing, and obviously I was not truly schizoid. This was all decades before I actually let myself be somewhat bullied (not an accurate way to describe it because it was my spouse who suggested that I had Asperger's) into seeking help.

This was in my early forties and by that time it did little for me except save my job (an important enough reason but that came a decade or more after the original diagnosis).

I made it through life with very little trouble, mainly because I am a bit of a homebody and do not socialize much with new people. What sustained me for my whole life were my dreams (much more interesting than real life), my passions (TV, Movies, Books, and Music), and my insular nature.

I love Science Fiction and Fantasy and managed to hang out at various times with writers of same. Harlan Ellison, Philip K Dick, Robert Silverberg, Stephen King, Gene Wolfe, Norman Spinrad, Philip Jose Farmer, Larry Niven, Ron Goulart, David Gerrold, Robert Bloch, John Brunner, Michael Moorcock, Arthur Byron Cover, Ed Bryant, and others were some of the many writers I met. Some of them I knew for many years, Harlan Ellison for one and Ed Bryant officiated at my wedding.

All my social interactions mostly came from two Science Fiction/Fantasy bookstores in the Los Angles area (A Change of Hobbit and Dangerous Visions) and the many signings and appearances at one or the other. I remember, on more than one occasion, Harlan sitting in the window of Dangerous Visions and writing short stories.

Because of all my sustaining passions, I rarely had a public meltdown or spent enough time with anyone for them to spot my innate peculiarities.

Anyway, apologies for writing so much. Just wanted to say there are more people here that understand and share your neurology, so you need not feel at all reticent about joining in and exploring. This place gets me through bad weeks, even if I am only reading and not commenting.

Welcome to a different world.
Thank you for the warm welcome and sharing with me. So many intresting people to meet. You have been lucky to live where you are able to have nice little places like those to go to. If I ever get back to that coast it would be fun to look for the bookstores but I do love a nice bookstore (Or art supply shop)

I ever get back to that coast it would be fun to look for the bookstores but I do love a nice bookstore (Or art supply shop)
I am sad to say that neither of the bookstores I mentioned are still around. Dangerous visions supplanted The Change of Hobbit, and then disappeared well over a decade and a half ago. I remember actively searching out Change of Hobbit which was very small (not much bigger than four or five utility closets in size). It was stacked in a small second floor room, and just outside the entrance door was a rather large laundromat with a high ceiling. It made for some interesting times when there was an autograph party going on during a Saturday afternoon. It did become much larger when it became very popular and moved to Santa Monica from Westwood.

Just wanted to add, that I love roaming art supply stores, but then I doodle a great deal to pass the time (examples of which are elsewhere on the site).

I am sad to say that neither of the bookstores I mentioned are still around. Dangerous visions supplanted The Change of Hobbit, and then disappeared well over a decade and a half ago. I remember actively searching out Change of Hobbit which was very small (not much bigger than four or five utility closets in size). It was stacked in a small second floor room, and just outside the entrance door was a rather large laundromat with a high ceiling. It made for some interesting times when there was an autograph party going on during a Saturday afternoon. It did become much larger when it became very popular and moved to Santa Monica from Westwood.

Just wanted to add, that I love roaming art supply stores, but then I doodle a great deal to pass the time (examples of which are elsewhere on the site).
Oh it sounds wonderful! I started my love for books early on and had started reading long before starting school. They were my friends, they took me to magical lands with intresting people. Of course you need to find the proper little bookstores to explore, sometimes the hunt itself for one could be rewarding.
I will have to look for the doodles, im not much for drawing but give me some clay or paint and i will have fun. . . No one might know what it is but me but it will be such fun to make.

New Threads

Top Bottom