• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello!

Hi, my name is Brandi, and I'm 19 years old. I was officially diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, Anxiety Disorder and clinical depression when I was 15. This is my first time on this site, and I'm pretty excited! I've never really reached out and connected with fellow Aspies before, but I think this will be a good thing for me.

I'm looking forward to the chance to connect to people who think and feel the same way that I do!

Hi & Welcome,

You win cleverest ID name of the month. :D I used Lettucefail once on a site, so I'd say the 'think the same way' part is getting verified.

Well I am stumped... other then Saladesha Flaming ??? But real names aren't best to share here anyway. Btw Anxiety is probably the most common 'co-morbid' Aspies/autistics share with depression not that far behind. So you are very much in a same set of people. Fortunately the co-morbids have fair treatments even if the autism itself does not. My 'mental' life improved 100% once I got the anxiety under control with treatment.

My first name is Brandi - witch is Dutch for "burnt wine". Hence the "burnt". I won't give away my last name, but you get the idea! Treatment and medication has done wonders for my depression and anxiety - not to say they still don't affect me.

I've never heard of the term 'co-morbid' before, but I'm guessing it means that it's something that typically goes along with something else, right?

My first name is Brandi - witch is Dutch for "burnt wine". Hence the "burnt". I won't give away my last name, but you get the idea! Treatment and medication has done wonders for my depression and anxiety - not to say they still don't affect me.

I've never heard of the term 'co-morbid' before, but I'm guessing it means that it's something that typically goes along with something else, right?

Well I just learned something too. 'Burnt wine'. Interesting. I wonder if that is related to the liquor 'Brandy'?

Yes, exactly right. Co-morbids are separate conditions, not caused directly by the autism, but ones that often occur with it. In a way I think the autism indirectly causes it, or contributes heavily. For instance our typical difficulty in social situations logically leads to anxiety. But there must be more to it as well for autistics often have anxiety and can often develop phobias about many things.

Are you from Netherlands then?

I'm pretty sure its related, but my parents switched up the last letter, I'm not too sure why. Maybe I should ask them!

Ah ok, that makes sense! Thanks for explaining!

I'm actually not, I'm from the US. I would like to visit the Netherlands, but I have no ethnic connection to the country.

In the states it has an interesting history, the name that is. In 1971 the name was almost non-existent, and on the list of names used for births that year it was around the 600th most popular. Then a song came out in 1972 and it was number 82 on the popular name list the next year. But almost instantly people were using Brandi as well as Brandy. That is even before your parents time, but I remember it.

Heres the song. The Red Hot Chili Peppers do a totally straight cover of this which is kind of weird. :D

And oh yeah, this is what the cool guys looked like in the early 70's. :D

It's really funny, but my math teacher my junior and senior year would sing this song when he called my name during role. I've never actually took time to listen to the whole song! :)

I wonder if was named after the song, or the drink, but I do remember my parents saying once that they really just liked the name. Maybe one of them heard the song and it stuck with them.

It's quite a look, the 70s style! There's something cozy about it, but I'm not too sure if that's the word I'm looking for.

It's really funny, but my math teacher my junior and senior year would sing this song when he called my name during role. I've never actually took time to listen to the whole song! :)

I wonder if was named after the song, or the drink, but I do remember my parents saying once that they really just liked the name. Maybe one of them heard the song and it stuck with them.

It's quite a look, the 70s style! There's something cozy about it, but I'm not too sure if that's the word I'm looking for.

Haha well then you did know about it. :D

Clothes were weirdly mixed at the time I thought. Part was tight body rock star look and part was mountain man, a continuation of the 'back to nature' theme I guess. But the mountain man clothes were basically comfortable and ulitarian and 'cozy' fits that to my mind. The next phase was disco clothes, but we won't talk about that. :D

Welcome aboard :)
image.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom