• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, nice to meet you.

BlueConundrum

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm a 36-year-old woman and I am fairly certain that I have Asperger's Syndrome. I have not been officially diagnosed. I mentioned it to an MD, who said that I "make good eye contact" and that it was unlikely, and a therapist actually laughed when I brought it up as though my suggestion were ludicrous.

My suspicions haven't come out of nowhere, though. When I look back on my childhood, I wonder why my parents didn't put me in some kind of treatment when I was a small child.

I never had childhood friends. I read a lot about childhood bullying (I was a victim for years despite changing schools frequently), and when I look back I realize that I was bad at understanding how to act with other children. There were times when I would try to be funny, but I was just being annoying. I thought that the annoyed person was having fun. I really, truly only realized this very recently. It only took me 20 or 30 years to figure out.

I was also very quiet and had episodes of selective mutism. At age 15, I started having episodes of severe depression that resulted in catatonic states.

I also had trouble in most working environments. I would get overwhelmed and walk off of a job. I just couldn't handle it. I absolutely cannot work with the public. It is impossible. I can work with people I know, but not an unpredictable stream of people. Actually, at the moment, I couldn't even work with people I know.

My 20s were very unstable. I have a college degree, but I couldn't get jobs. I was struggling and poor. I went to graduate school and I got a Master's degree, but I struggled with that, too. Frankly, I don't know how I managed. It's probably not a coincidence that less than one month after I finished grad school, I had a complete physical and mental breakdown and ended up on disability. It has been almost six years and I haven't worked since.

I was diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder, PTSD, dysthymia, and Major Depressive Disorder (the last two combined were called "double depression").

I have led a mostly solitary life. I have no friends and I rarely talk to anyone. I have never dated anyone. I have been on three dates, and the second two were 17 years apart. This does not bother me in and of itself, but people think it's "weird" so it's a fact that I hide. I don't care, but I don't want people to freak out and act like I'm a mutant.

My parents were 44 when I was born, which I have read increases the likelihood of autism spectrum children. This is another "weird" thing I hate telling people because the reactions I get make me uncomfortable. It's more common nowadays, but I was born in 1978 and people often made fun of me for having old parents. My mother died long ago and my father and I are estranged. I don't know my extended family. I have a brother, but we are also estranged. Before anyone suggests it, I want to say that there is zero chance of reconciliation.

I have had a few close friends. I have made connections with some people. Unfortunately, those friendships are gone either due to death or they stopped speaking to me for reasons I never understood.

I do tend to have obsessive interests, though the interests do change. I'm currently obsessed with video games. My previous obsessions include pet rats, bicycles, unidentified dead people (yes, I know that's weird), crochet, Spanish, and logic puzzles. I will sometimes get obsessed with a very specific genre and era of books or music (1940s crime novels, 1970s British punk, etc).

I get very overwhelmed with noise and with people talking. It's very stressful for me to be around someone who talks a lot. Certain noises (like plastic bags crinkling or the sound of silverware hitting a plate) are immensely disturbing to me. I find all social interactions draining. It's become worse since my breakdown several years ago. I never recovered from that.

I also have synethesia. I know that not everything I've mentioned is necessarily an Asperger's thing, but I think it's all part of a big picture.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm sure that other people have asked questions about how to get a diagnosis, so if anyone could direct me towards any suggestions, that would be great. Apparently, I frequently fool people into thinking I'm neurotypical. I once had a psychologist accuse me of faking my very long history of depression!

Welcome aboard. This is a great and friendly community. I hope you enjoy interesting with folks here :)
Best wishes
image.jpg

Welcome Blue. This forum is filled with good and helpful people and you should find assistance and guidance here.

This forum is informative and understanding. Just browse around or ask. Welcome and good luck!

Hi. Unidentified dead people investigation. Sounds fascinating to me. I've had a job that required investigation, and I loved it.

Hi & Welcome!
It amazes me how uninformed so many medical professionals are about autism and its variations.

Hi, and welcome to the forum :) Contrary to popular belief, people with ASD can, and do make eye contact - it's just that it's often uncomfortable for us to do it. Your doctor was wrong on that one.

Hi, ad welcome to the forum :) Contrary to popular belief, people with ASD can, and do make eye contact - it's just that it's often uncomfortable for us to do it. Your doctor was wrong on that one.

I'm mostly good at eye contact, but I have found myself looking down and to the side when I feel uncomfortable. I have had a lot of therapy the last five or so years, and I look down a lot. I remember staring at my shoes the first time I went to therapy in 1994. It really depends on what I'm talking about and who I'm with. I was mostly comfortable with that doctor and we didn't talk about too many uncomfortable things, so I probably made eye contact with her frequently. I do agree with you and I don't think that was enough to base her assumption on.

Also, I'm fairly certain that if I were ten years younger and my parents had taken me in for analysis that I would have been diagnosed. I have "learned" many "normal" behaviors with time, as I'm sure many people on this board have as well.

I'm mostly good at eye contact, but I have found myself looking down and to the side when I feel uncomfortable. I have had a lot of therapy the last five or so years, and I look down a lot. I remember staring at my shoes the first time I went to therapy in 1994. It really depends on what I'm talking about and who I'm with. I was mostly comfortable with that doctor and we didn't talk about too many uncomfortable things, so I probably made eye contact with her frequently. I do agree with you and I don't think that was enough to base her assumption on.

Also, I'm fairly certain that if I were ten years younger and my parents had taken me in for analysis that I would have been diagnosed. I have "learned" many "normal" behaviors with time, as I'm sure many people on this board have as well.
That's what I'm like too - I look at people's eyes very briefly and then look away, or look at some other part of their face, but not at their eyes all the time. Until I started reading about ASD I thought that was normal, that everyone did that, but apparently not. I often look down too, when I'm talking about something difficult emotionally. People just used to think I was shy.

New Threads

Top Bottom