• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello...Introductions and Such.

Cats and poetry, seem to go well together somehow. Welcome.

images

"... la noche se desangró cayendo sobre el sueño del hombre..."

Pablo Neruda,
Oda a la Tormenta

Welcome!
He is just my favorite. I cannot express why...he just speaks to me in a way a lot of others cannot. Thank you for this quote...now I must search my books for it...and read the whole thing...as I spoke earlier in the thread, I am not as familiar with Spanish as I am with English but I own all bilingual versions so this should be lovely to explore ❤️

:eek: Are you kidding me?! I still remember "La Gallina Degollada" and gives me shivers.
I didn't have that one in mind, I think I was already thinking of the jungle tales as I wrote and lost some perspective on the rest. That being said, I did make the comparison with Poe, but somehow, I'm more at ease with the darkness of horror in fiction than the darkness of everyday horror and politics.
Now, off to look for that gallina degollada, I'm in the mood for shivers.
(Or so I think. I'll probably still be on the forum at 9 a.m. tomorrow morning afraid of going to bed)

He is just my favorite. I cannot express why...he just speaks to me in a way a lot of others cannot. Thank you for this quote...now I must search my books for it...and read the whole thing...as I spoke earlier in the thread, I am not as familiar with Spanish as I am with English but I own all bilingual versions so this should be lovely to explore ❤️
"the night bled
falling on the man's dream".

Haha, finally some powers that aren't hurting!

Michaux was a Belgian writer, born at the turn of the twentieth century (or shall I say turn of the 19th century? More than 100 years ago is what I mean), so he experimented with the same type of things as, say, Aldous Huxley: LSD, mescaline as we've discussed already, that psylo-something in mushrooms, and cannabis. What makes this interesting is that he had a very scientific approach to it, and those experimentations make for some fascinating reflections on mental health and psychiatry in general. I tend to have a soft spot for writers who were misfits and explored psychiatry (Quiroga has work like that, too, I think, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet). I'm an avid Philip K. Dick reader for that reason, I don't necessarily agree with his work, but as an Aspie pariah with some bad experiences with psychiatrists & hospitals until I got my official diagnosis, I can certainly relate to some extent & understand some of the motifs. Maybe I like dystopian works so much because I feel I'm living in an NT dystopia?

At any rate, I'm glad that it flows well with what you're currently reading, that's perfect!
I like dystopian novels too...

Sabrina, thanks for the reminder with that dreadful chicken. I didn't remember that story, and reading it was a journey filled with various observations I wouldn't have made 10 years ago.

I think back then, I must have been stuck in my usual "Damn, how carefully he picked those words. Damn, that's effficient writing. Damn, I wish I could write like that", because that came to mind right away. It didn't register until I was halfway done that I knew that story.
Now, reading it after getting my diagnosis, and after how much I've been reading in the last few years about autism, the treatment we receive from people, the rejection, perceived defectiveness or monstrosity, and I'll throw it in there too, after reading about Autism speaks, I have to say I'm not shivering so much at the conclusion of the story as I am about the analogies I see with how some parents react to the diagnosis (hence my comparison with Autism Speaks), and how some of the general public, the bigoted ones, probably sees us as unworthy lost causes.
So yeah, thanks for your post, really.

New Threads

Top Bottom