• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello - I suspect I might have aspergers but am nervous

the reason they ask you to take your parent is that you may not remember what happened when you were 2 or 3 years old as autism is seen as only being a developmental disorder if it was present at that age if not it could be another disorder
I'm based in Lancashire - I've got a load of stuff written down to take to the GP initially - if I don't I know that I'll downplay everything and leave with little more than a pat on the head and a load of unresolved queries. I'll take things from there. I'm a bit old to take my parents to be honest - they've been split up since I was a toddler and my mum doesn't even know I've suffered with chronic depression (if she knew she'd make it all about her and her guilt at somehow having failed me, so I've left her out of the loop). The diagnosis or not, is for me, to help me understand stuff about myself and to take positive steps in the future. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is nice to have a bit of foresight.

So - I've been lurking on here a while. Saw one GP (not my regular) who was awful - went for a second opinion and got an immediate referral - pre-diagnosis assessment in a couple of weeks. No idea what to expect but I've filled in a questionnaire (admittedly with corrections to the vague nature of the questions they've posed - one was so ambiguous there was no way of committing to an answer), and my mum is going to see if she can remember what I was like as a kid and fill in one herself. Don't know what to expect next but at least things are moving along. Hope everyone is well.

All the best
Liam

welcome... i just joined, so welcome to the both of us.

Do you have any sensitivities to light, textures, sound, tastes or smells?

mine is light! oh man... i wear sunglasses all the time, everywhere. I even wore then in my office for a bit. Headlights at night feel like they are burning through my head, painful.

good luck with your appointment.

So - I've been lurking on here a while. Saw one GP (not my regular) who was awful - went for a second opinion and got an immediate referral - pre-diagnosis assessment in a couple of weeks. No idea what to expect but I've filled in a questionnaire (admittedly with corrections to the vague nature of the questions they've posed - one was so ambiguous there was no way of committing to an answer), and my mum is going to see if she can remember what I was like as a kid and fill in one herself. Don't know what to expect next but at least things are moving along. Hope everyone is well.

All the best
Liam
Hi Liam. Good luck with your diagnosis journey. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. My first discussion with my GP didn't go well as he told me I couldn't have Aspergers because a). He would KNOW if I did.
b). People aren't diagnosed as adults (I'm 67)
c). It's not called Aspergers any more ( like that makes any difference!)
Anyway, I finally got a referral to see a psychologist I've seen previously and we both agreed she didn't have sufficient knowledge to diagnose me.
Now I have an appointment next Thursday to see a psych at the clinic Tony Attwood works in. (if you don't know who he is Google will tell you). I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to see someone who is expert in this field as I truly believe it is imperative to getting an accurate diagnosis. Still as the time gets closer I'm starting to feel more nervous. This meeting is not going to be an official diagnosis, but I guess it will determine whether I continue to pursue one. I hope they don't place too much emphasis on early childhood because I don't remember much, and I could never ask my mother as she doesn't even believe I have insomnia much less depression, anxiety and now Aspergers!
I'll be very interested to hear how you go.

Well virtually everything I was going to say has already been said, I will therefore firstly welcome you to ASPIESCentral and yes I am also pretty sure you're on the spectrum based on your post. As I've said to others who are apprehensive over a new diagnosis, there are also positive things about being on the spectrum, one is nearly all are of above average intelligence and many are extremely intelligent, especially when it comes to what is often a special interest and you wouldn't have made it to management in the first place if you weren't intelligent. You can also learn to deal with any less wanted traits better over time, it doesn't mean you can't be successful and eventually it is even possible to be more accepted by NTs too.

It's positive you are here in a friendly and non judgemental community, there may also be support groups (maybe run by charities) that can help where you often get the opportunity to meet more like minded people.

New Threads

Top Bottom