• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello - I suspect I might have aspergers but am nervous

Liam Davies

Hi - My name is Liam and I come here hoping for a little guidance and support. Maybe even advice. I'm booking an appointment with my GP for a referral for a diagnosis with the sneaking suspicion I have aspergers or am on the autistic spectrum in some way.

Over the past few years the wheels have come off my professional life to the point that I've taken voluntary demotion three times in as many years. I feel like I can't hide the things that cause me anxiety anymore, which I've always felt quite good at doing. I'm a teacher and things are changing so much in the profession. I had also worked out how to get promotions and so went about it like solving a puzzle, studying what people did and how they acted to gain favour - I got the promotion, became a manager and then bam! I had a breakdown when had to conduct small meetings with my team, initiate conversations with people I'd had little contact with, and was trapped in a small office with three other managers who all seemed to get on and I had no idea how to 'join in'.

I did one of those 'Aspie' quizzes online and I came out 137 neurodiverse and 66 neurotypical.

I find it difficult to initiate conversations with people unless its actually on a topic. I often talk a lot and ramble. I obsess over my interests to the point of mental exhaustion at times. I get terribly anxious about the prospect of being late for appointments and meetings. If I see a friend I like on the street and they haven't seen me, I'll still hide to avoid the small talk stuff. I write scripts and rehearse phone conversations I need to make. I've always been a little isolatory. In the past I've formed quite obsessive attachments with people. My work life has suffered because of my inability to undertake tasks that don't interest me; quite the opposite, I actually verbally resent doing them and let everyone who will listen know. I have little interest in my appearance and take great comfort in patterns and shapes (I'm currently retraining to be a garden designer and I find this work to be most soothing (using Fibonacci sequencing and shape rhythms etc). My in laws took me and my wife to the cricket and at the end I realised I'd watched the score board the entire time, doing sums and working out batting average scores in order for teams to win etc). I get very anxious in crowds - my current work place causes panic attacks because it's so busy and there's literally nowhere to escape. I am accused of having an odd sense of humour that is at times inappropriate - I once jokingly told a friend's daughter who was playing hide and seek that I'd burn the house down to flush her out and that didn't go down to well. I'm not a hugger and I feel emotionally detached when people in my life are upset etc. I can't remember faces very well (not too bad with reading expressions though) but can remember the phone number from 1990s Saturday morning kids TV show, 'Going Live'.

I guess I want to know if people who have a diagnosis can relate. I feel that if I am diagnosed an Aspie I can make sense of troubles I've had all my life and look to the future in a way that means I can really consider how I live - that I'm not just a difficult person etc. I hope really that it can help me make sense of my depression (that I'm medicated for) and find a way to help people understand who I am (myself included). If not, at least I can rule it out and carry on trying to find other ways to overcome the anxiety in my life.

I apologise if this is essentially me coming into a community and launching into a 'can you help me' monologue, but I assume that is how most people must enter here. As I progress with this journey, of course I will repay any advice in kind with the benefit of my experiences as they occur.

Anyway, hi!

welcome.png

Hi - My name is Liam and I come here hoping for a little guidance and support. Maybe even advice. I'm booking an appointment with my GP for a referral for a diagnosis with the sneaking suspicion I have aspergers or am on the autistic spectrum in some way.

Over the past few years the wheels have come off my professional life to the point that I've taken voluntary demotion three times in as many years. I feel like I can't hide the things that cause me anxiety anymore, which I've always felt quite good at doing. I'm a teacher and things are changing so much in the profession. I had also worked out how to get promotions and so went about it like solving a puzzle, studying what people did and how they acted to gain favour - I got the promotion, became a manager and then bam! I had a breakdown when had to conduct small meetings with my team, initiate conversations with people I'd had little contact with, and was trapped in a small office with three other managers who all seemed to get on and I had no idea how to 'join in'.

I did one of those 'Aspie' quizzes online and I came out 137 neurodiverse and 66 neurotypical.

I find it difficult to initiate conversations with people unless its actually on a topic. I often talk a lot and ramble. I obsess over my interests to the point of mental exhaustion at times. I get terribly anxious about the prospect of being late for appointments and meetings. If I see a friend I like on the street and they haven't seen me, I'll still hide to avoid the small talk stuff. I write scripts and rehearse phone conversations I need to make. I've always been a little isolatory. In the past I've formed quite obsessive attachments with people. My work life has suffered because of my inability to undertake tasks that don't interest me; quite the opposite, I actually verbally resent doing them and let everyone who will listen know. I have little interest in my appearance and take great comfort in patterns and shapes (I'm currently retraining to be a garden designer and I find this work to be most soothing (using Fibonacci sequencing and shape rhythms etc). My in laws took me and my wife to the cricket and at the end I realised I'd watched the score board the entire time, doing sums and working out batting average scores in order for teams to win etc). I get very anxious in crowds - my current work place causes panic attacks because it's so busy and there's literally nowhere to escape. I am accused of having an odd sense of humour that is at times inappropriate - I once jokingly told a friend's daughter who was playing hide and seek that I'd burn the house down to flush her out and that didn't go down to well. I'm not a hugger and I feel emotionally detached when people in my life are upset etc. I can't remember faces very well (not too bad with reading expressions though) but can remember the phone number from 1990s Saturday morning kids TV show, 'Going Live'.

I guess I want to know if people who have a diagnosis can relate. I feel that if I am diagnosed an Aspie I can make sense of troubles I've had all my life and look to the future in a way that means I can really consider how I live - that I'm not just a difficult person etc. I hope really that it can help me make sense of my depression (that I'm medicated for) and find a way to help people understand who I am (myself included). If not, at least I can rule it out and carry on trying to find other ways to overcome the anxiety in my life.

I apologise if this is essentially me coming into a community and launching into a 'can you help me' monologue, but I assume that is how most people must enter here. As I progress with this journey, of course I will repay any advice in kind with the benefit of my experiences as they occur.

Anyway, hi!
hello IM also from the UK diagnosed with mild high functioning autism its not called Aspergers syndrome in the UK anymore
i was diagnosed at 45

Ooops, sorry about that. I'm very new to this. May I ask how you found the diagnosis process. I'm calling the doctor today to arrange an appointment and can already feel myself getting sick to the stomach with having to make the call.

I guess I want to know if people who have a diagnosis can relate. I feel that if I am diagnosed an Aspie I can make sense of troubles I've had all my life and look to the future in a way that means I can really consider how I live - that I'm not just a difficult person etc.

I was self-diagnosed in mid-life. Knowing has transformed my life for the better: why I would drag myself home from work, what was going on when it felt like my brain was melting (it was!) and the steps I needed to take to keep my health and sanity.

I got the formal diagnosis, but while discussing things with the diagnostician was very helpful, I don't have much in the way of formal support in area medical resources, and what there is out there is mostly focused on children. I'm also not getting anything in the way of employment protections, either, as I thought I might; as a way of helping me transition to a different kind of job.

It helped in that when I do need to tell someone, I have the backing of Authority; because I'm high functioning, and a woman, and many would not believe it. I did tell my boss at the time, and my job has since transitioned into something which suits me much better.

I figured out how to improve my sleep and my anxiety, how to tell when things are getting overwhelming and what to do. You may have to figure these things out for yourself, too. But you can! And efforts really pay off.

I'm saying you can go at your own pace because it is SO not like "Okay you have this, now take this pill" and you become "normal." I have learned that, like many people on the spectrum, I do not respond to psychiatric drugs; that was extremely useful to know.

If you have trouble (as I did) finding a competent person to diagnose you, it's going to be difficult to find someone to help you, too. Do things that help an Asperger's person... if they help you, great!

I mean, here in the US they just changed the diagnosis. Asperger's is not even official anymore! So what do they know about undiagnosed HFA in adults?

Very very little, it turns out :)

Thanks for that WereBear, and thanks for the warm welcome in general. I feel that a diagnosis would probably help me ease off trying to fit in and just go with it completely. I'll see how things go.

I once jokingly told a friend's daughter who was playing hide and seek that I'd burn the house down to flush her out and that didn't go down to well.

Hey Liam... Welcome, I laughed at the hide and seek thing! Why I don't know. It struck

Dude its pretty obvious your either ASD or Aspie... If you want some official label like I have, go for it.
I never wanted it, it has never made one thing better for me...
This place has made me better, so come on in and enjoy being YOU.

Haha. Yeah - I thought it'd be funny. The kid thought it was hilarious, as kids do, but her dad looked aghast! I'm not after a label, rather understanding of why my life's had a bit of a tailspin. It means I can look to do things that aren't like being a round peg in a square hole, so to speak (I use idioms and metaphors, which was one of the doubts I had as to whether this is a course worth taking). I probably won't even tell anyone other than my wife, even if it turns out I am ASD. I also don't want to undermine people with autism as I think a lot of people often say things like, 'oh I'm a little bit on the spectrum' for just being super organised and making lists etc, and I realise people might find this offensive, like it's some sort of club.

I agree though - this place seems cool and I'll drop by every now and then to see how things are going.

Anyway, nice to electronically meet you.

Your original post is all aspie, welcome.

I'm 53 and self-diagnosed, lean into it and you'll find balance.

This is a good community, it is my tribe

Haha. Yeah - I thought it'd be funny. The kid thought it was hilarious, as kids do, but her dad looked aghast! I'm not after a label, rather understanding of why my life's had a bit of a tailspin. It means I can look to do things that aren't like being a round peg in a square hole, so to speak (I use idioms and metaphors, which was one of the doubts I had as to whether this is a course worth taking). I probably won't even tell anyone other than my wife, even if it turns out I am ASD. I also don't want to undermine people with autism as I think a lot of people often say things like, 'oh I'm a little bit on the spectrum' for just being super organised and making lists etc, and I realise people might find this offensive, like it's some sort of club.

I agree though - this place seems cool and I'll drop by every now and then to see how things are going.

Anyway, nice to electronically meet you.

Its all good... Its not a club, you already get that. It's not a chosen lifestyle that people can switch on and off. Its just who we are, and in here we can just be... US (whatever that might be on any given day).
Nice to electronically meet you also : )

Agreed - this is life and we have to make the best of living with what we have to work with. Some things are easier than others. This it - it occurred at conception and it does not change, sometimes the amplitude of a traits may change over time though the trait is always there.

Don't worry, one on the most telling traits of an aspie is saying exactly what they think which frequently is taken as inappropriate.

Your choice on how much you include yourself in the community.

Welcome :)

I am accused of having an odd sense of humour that is at times inappropriate - I once jokingly told a friend's daughter who was playing hide and seek that I'd burn the house down to flush her out and that didn't go down to well. I'm not a hugger and I feel emotionally detached when people in my life are upset etc.

These resonated with me, as I could have written them about myself. However obviously we can't diagnose.

I feel that if I am diagnosed an Aspie I can make sense of troubles I've had all my life and look to the future in a way that means I can really consider how I live - that I'm not just a difficult person etc.

I can understand this, however some people feel down after they are diagnosed, as they then realise that they have no say over the way they are. It's like realising that while yes, there is a reason for the things you do, that there's also nothing you can do about it.

I hope really that it can help me make sense of my depression (that I'm medicated for) and find a way to help people understand who I am (myself included). If not, at least I can rule it out and carry on trying to find other ways to overcome the anxiety in my life.

Depression is something that many on the spectrum have as a co-morbid condition. You may also find that you'd be surprised if when explaining to people that you are on the spectrum, they either treat you differently or do not understand autism (especially AS) as the only information they have ever had about it is what they see on TV...meaning very stereotypical versions (think Rain Man).

Thanks guys - it's a very warm place here, isn't it. Xudo, I think I'm just one of those people who likes to know the truth so to speak. My guts are telling me this is perhaps real. I'm not sure I'd even disclose my diagnosis to anyone else. It would probably be just for me to think about.

Anyway, hi!

Hi Liam. Welcome to AC!!!

Hi Liam. Sorry you have had such a hard time lately.

I think it is good that you are going to your GP for a referral, but please try looking online to find an Autism specialist in your area before you go. You may not get results if you go to someone who does not know much about Autism. Many non-specialists know shockingly little about Autism.

Ooops, sorry about that. I'm very new to this. May I ask how you found the diagnosis process. I'm calling the doctor today to arrange an appointment and can already feel myself getting sick to the stomach with having to make the call.
und
if you're in tyne ,wear,and northumbria you see a team who were based at a hospital in MORPETH one of the team is in gateshead now .
if not it will depend on who is available!
my diagnosis took an hour and a half after myriad questions and answers ,if your parents are able to attend the diagnosis it will be a lot easier for you .
but its slightly different for you being male .
show the therapist diagnosing your intro post .
i was shattered by the end of the diagnosis but Im always tired .
i waited 7 months to be diagnosed- the official time is 3 months.
for a lot its six months - two years .
i was underwhelmed I'd hoped thered be this huge relief nah just exactly !the same as before x-( what it will do is direct your healthcare if you're blessed to be in an area of the UK that isn't still stabbing in the dark .

I'm based in Lancashire - I've got a load of stuff written down to take to the GP initially - if I don't I know that I'll downplay everything and leave with little more than a pat on the head and a load of unresolved queries. I'll take things from there. I'm a bit old to take my parents to be honest - they've been split up since I was a toddler and my mum doesn't even know I've suffered with chronic depression (if she knew she'd make it all about her and her guilt at somehow having failed me, so I've left her out of the loop). The diagnosis or not, is for me, to help me understand stuff about myself and to take positive steps in the future. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is nice to have a bit of foresight.

New Threads

Top Bottom