• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello... I found out I'm on the spectrum this year.

Did you get diagnosed as a child or later as an adult?

• As a Child

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • As an adult

Votes: 20 95.2%

• Total voters

AngelaS267

Hello everyone!

I finally had my epiphany this year at 23 years old that I had Aspergers syndrome. Like many people on here, we went most of our lives not quit feeling right in social settings, and in our body. After I got into 6th grade, a time where kids start to form clicks and find themselves, I realized that something was off with me. I never suspected ASD. My older sister is undiagnosed but much much further on the spectrum than I am. If you were to speak to her, you'd know right away. That's one of the big reasons that I just never thought I had it.

I didn't make a friend until 7th grade. I've only ever known how to make 1 friend at a time. I was painfully shy when I was a child, but I didn't notice until I became older, and all the people from my past told me how painfully shy I was. I didn't think it was that bad. I've always been shy though. I used to look down when I walked bc looking up required me to engage with things outside of me. I was soothed by the pavement or tiles going by as I walked. I sucked my thumb until I was 13. I learned in elementary school it was socially unacceptable to suck your thumb past the age of 4 or 5. My teachers would write letters to my mom at home about it.

I remember being extremely overwhelmed when I was on the playground because it was too hot. Like I was being suffocated. I hated going down the slide because the slide would shock you when going down. I was always confused why people liked it when they knew it was going to really shock them. My family would often tell me I complain too much, so I started feeling guilty and depressed for expressing my discomfort. I later learned that these were huge sensory issues.

My teacher used to turn off the front light in the class but not the back light to "keep the class from falling asleep" and this used to drive me insane because it was not even. either keep the lights all off or all on. Those are just a few things I look back on and remember when thinking about how I was ASD all along. I've always had a hard time communicating with people.

At my most social, I was a quirky girl, and maybe came off as weird and ditsy when speaking to people. I started caring during 6th grade. I think subconsciously I knew people found me awkward or weird an so I stopped talking. I just became the quiet girl in middle and high school. I went to counseling because people were concerned how quiet I was, and this used to annoy me. I didn't want people to treat me like I was "crazy" But then I started opening up to this one counselor who understood me a lot better.

But I started talking about the bad things that were happening to me at home. I did experience traumatic things at home, and I attempted to correlate a lot of my social and mental issues with the fact that my parents marriage being terrible and how they communicated with in a very toxic way. This was true to a degree, but didn't quit explain everything. I spend a lot of time between high school up until 2018 trying to "find out what was wrong with me." I did this thing where every time I did something wrong socially or failed at something, I'd search up, Why am I so awkward, why am I so quiet, social anxiety disorder, I avoid going out.

This caused me to spiral into depression. I just became really unhappy. For the longest time, I thought I had social anxiety disorder but that wasn't quite right at all. I wasn't afraid to go outside.. I wasn't afraid to go shopping... I could sit in a cafe by myself all day and be fine. Hell, I can spend a whole day by myself and I feel absolutely fine.

Then I found a video on youtube talking about women on the spectrum and how they're under represented. I had tried to take a test for autism before, but I didn't pass that online test, and brushed it off. But this was different. I found a list that talks about the symptoms found in women on the spectrum... I matched every. single. one. I got scared. What does this mean? What do I do? Who do I ask for help?... No, this can't be true. I started comparing the diagnosis of Social Anxiety Disorder, and Asperger syndrome, and the SAD one started making less and less sense. The ASD started clicking more.

I went on youtube and started looking up women on the spectrum, and one video just made it click to me. I remember that day. My heart sank, and it became extremely clear... Girl you have aspergers, haha. The feelings I felt when I found out were something I'd never felt before ever. It was a huge feeling of relief, but at the same time this sadness, almost like grief. I have been interested in autism for yeeears. I learned about it in the 5th grade and had researched it sporadically ever since. I am absolutely fascinated with it, so it's ironic that I now realize I have it.

I was amazed. I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders because I felt like I no longer needed to try to change those things about myself that I felt so much shame for. It explained everything. Why I didn't feel quit like other people. But I felt a deep sadness because there are so many resources that I missed out on by not being diagnosed earlier. I didn't get extra help in school or college. I had so many teachers get angry at me for not understanding certain things, for not doing my homework, for my grades being amazing one semester, then absolutely terrible the next.

I never got to explain to people why I had anxiety in certain situations. I never got to get the therapy I needed so I could've made more friends. I didn't go to parties. I went to prom alone. Thinking back to those things made me so sad because I unfortunately had a terrible time in school before college because I didn't understand what was going on with me. But from the time I found out I had aspies to now, I have grown more than I ever have in my entire life. I feel very liberated. I feel a lot less shame about my social skills. I pay attention to my behavior and how it relates to my ASD. I am working to erase the shame I felt for years about who I am.

I can not wait to explore myself more and hopefully build a community that understand where I'm coming from. Hello, my name is Maya, and I have Aspergers Syndrome.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

I'm Self-Diagnosed, with PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified), which has been incorporated into Level 1 Autism as per the DSM-V

upload_2019-10-28_17-4-14.png

Hi and welcome. I am glad you have found out about your Aspergers, and I agree it's good to know and helps one form strategies around issues that are difficult. You sound really positive about it, that's great. I'm self diagnosed so I didn't fill in your poll, but I didn't realise what it was until well into my 50s! I'm glad for you that you have understood this sooner, and hope you enjoy it here.

:hibiscus::mapleleaf::fallenleaf::beetle::tulip::rose::cherryblossom::leafwind::seedling:

Welcome Maya! I was diagnosed at 29, and had the same epiphany. I’m so much more comfortable in my skin now. I worked on sort of a user manual for my boyfriend to make our relationship easier, which also helped a lot. Plus I now know my strengths and weaknesses a lot better, which really helps at work.

I finally had my epiphany this year at 23 years old that I had Asperger's Syndrome.
I feel very liberated. I feel a lot less shame about my social skills. I pay attention to my behavior and how it relates to my ASD. I am working to erase the shame I felt for years about who I am. I cannot wait to explore myself more and hopefully build a community that understand where I'm coming from. Hello, my name is Maya, and I have Asperger's Syndrome.
Congratulations!

Yes it is an epiphany, and I would also compare it to "coming out". I think my Asperger's diagnosis may be my favourite piece of paper in the entire history of trees!

I was diagnosed at age 47.
Damn you, Sir (in the nicest possible way, I hasten to add), you have trumped me by six whole years!

Here was I, thinking how hard-done-by I was having had to wait until age 41. Especially what with having suggested it to the pesky psychiatrist myself at age 25 (I mean I was 25, not the psychiatrist).

But now I'm going to have to crank down my self-pity slightly...

Welcome.
Yeah social Anxiety Disorder, such a bs diagnosis. It's like rewording the problem and pretending it means something.
"I get frequent headaches". "You have an achy head disorder".

Damn you, Sir (in the nicest possible way, I hasten to add), you have trumped me by six whole years!

Here was I, thinking how hard-done-by I was having had to wait until age 41. Especially what with having suggested it to the pesky psychiatrist myself at age 25 (I mean I was 25, not the psychiatrist).

But now I'm going to have to crank down my self-pity slightly...

Crank it down a notch further :D

I didn't get my diagnosis until my early 50's. Every doctor I broached the subject with told me to go away, 'you have a life, a job, a husband etc etc etc, you can't possibly be autistic!'

They were wrong.

I can't say it's my favourite piece of paper, or should I say pieces of paper, as it's rather a comprehensive report, but it's been helpful in more ways than one.

Welcome to the forum @AngelaS267 :)

Every doctor I broached the subject with told me to go away, 'you have a life, a job, a husband etc etc etc, you can't possibly be autistic!'
Duly cranked down.

Yes, being lucid & articulate also seem to count against the patient when endeavouring to suggest any serious disorder to the professional. If you don't look or sound as though you had a serious problem, then you can't have one. Clearly the training & the powers of perception required to become a psychiatrist are not what we'd like to believe they are...

And I think the longer you've struggled on through life without a diagnosis, the less willing the profession is to diagnose you.

Plus have I not read that the psychiatrists are even more likely to overlook or misdiagnose A.S.D. in a female because they don't think women can be autistic?

Anyway, clearly we do share Angela's delight in having a diagnosis finally, so congratulations to us all!

(It would be very irresponsible & irreverent for me to suggest that the best thing anyone could do to further the cause of mental health would be to find a psychiatrist, put him up against a wall, and shoot him. So I am absolutely not going to suggest that. After all, there must be some good psychiatrists out there somewhere; it's just I never happened to see nor hear of one, during my oh-so-fleeting involvement with the mental health profession, which only lasted from 1995 to 2017 after all. Grrr...)

I started caring during 6th grade. I think subconsciously I knew people found me awkward or weird an so I stopped talking. I just became the quiet girl in middle and high school. I went to counseling because people were concerned how quiet I was, and this used to annoy me. I didn't want people to treat me like I was "crazy" But then I started opening up to this one counselor who understood me a lot better.

I should have started caring in the 6th grade. My mother even suggested that I go to therapy, but I isolated instead, pushing my problems further downward. I was a shell of a human being in middle and high school. I am just now coming into my own, at 23 years of age.

New Threads

Top Bottom