• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello from London

CJB

Hi everybody,

I'm Chris, 28 from London. I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet and I'm here as my therapist recently asked me if I had ever been tested for Asperger's. I have an appointment booked with my GP, but I just wanted to get some advice beforehand.

I've been doing some brief research this morning and although I can relate to some of the symptoms, I personally don't think I suffer with Asperger's, but I'll never know until I've been seen by a professional.

I basically suffer in any kind of social situation, my mind goes blank and I can't think of anything to say. I over analyse everything in my head - 'is it okay to say this', 'would that sound offensive', 'is that funny' etc, then by the time I've decided the conversation has moved on and I don't say anything. I hate being known as 'the quiet one' and I hate feeling uncomfortable when I'm around people I don't know. It seems as if there's a barrier in my mind that I can't get passed.

I also think everybody is judging me, a seemingly simple task of walking down the street becomes difficult, everyone that I pass I assume them to be thinking something about me ( I don't walk around naked or anything, just so you know).

I have a good group of friends, never been bullied and had a good up bringing, but I've these problems for as long as I can remember and it really has hindered me in life.

Anyway, that's enough from me for the time being!

Welcome Chris :)

It's hard to say, though I could relate to what you had posted. I myself am self-diagnosed. One thing you may learn about AS, is that some of the information out there on AS, is either outdated, or inaccurate. Also, many of the listed symptoms tend to portray the more severe cases of AS. You'll also learn that AS in fact sits on a spectrum. This means that it can affect a person at various extremes, and it can present differently in different individuals.

The best way to learn more about AS, is to talk to others with AS. Here, you can join discussions, ask questions, and try to determine if you feel the connection. Also, I recommend a visit to our resources section: Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

You'll want to look in to Dr. Tony Attwood as well: Home

I hope all goes well with your doctor's appointment. Be sure to let us know how you go.

Welcome to AC. Yes, much of what you posted many of us can certainly relate to...

Welcome! As the other have said, the things you have mentioned could be related to aspergers, but it could also be something like social anxiety (or both). Do you have any other symptoms like sensory sensitivity, obsessive interests, difficulty recognising people motivations or humour, low social intelligence?

You could try taking a some of the online tests.
Anyway, I hope you find this forum usefull and that getting a diagnosis goes well and helps you understand yourself and you problems :)

What you describe could be symptoms of autism, and might also fall under the categories of Social Pragmatic Communication Disorder, or Social Anxiety. Whatever the case, welcome, and I hope you stick around! :)

Howdy!

I know Aspies don't like being "the quiet ones" as you said - my Aspie friend also wishes he was more extroverted, but I have to tell you as an NT that I much more prefer the quiet guys. The extroverted guys will run all over you and monopolize the conversation. It's like they are so busy talking about themselves that they aren't really interested in getting to know the other person. Anyway, just my thoughts at the moment.

The extroverted guys will run all over you and monopolize the conversation. It's like they are so busy talking about themselves that they aren't really interested in getting to know the other person. Anyway, just my thoughts at the moment.

Well, I already know about your cat. Tell me about your antique nutcrackers! :p

Last edited:
Hi Chris :) It's a great idea to get a referral from your GP - let me know if you need help knowing about the diagnosis process in the UK! Hope you enjoy it here.

May I share a comic link?
Depressed Alien
number 159, but it has a questionable word (that they CAN use on the radio, so it's probably ok here)
it relates to exactly what you just said about social anxiety.

Hi everybody,

I basically suffer in any kind of social situation, my mind goes blank and I can't think of anything to say. I over analyse everything in my head - 'is it okay to say this', 'would that sound offensive', 'is that funny' etc, then by the time I've decided the conversation has moved on and I don't say anything. I hate being known as 'the quiet one' and I hate feeling uncomfortable when I'm around people I don't know. It seems as if there's a barrier in my mind that I can't get passed.
.com/159

New Threads

Top Bottom