• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, Folks. Not diagnosed with anything, but now asking questions...

RexOBRE

I'm coming up on 40 and always thought I was just odd. A few things I have done and read in the past year made me wonder whether some of my oddities might have a logical explanation.

Evidence For(?):
1) My father, brother, and one of my nephews are varying degrees/types of autistic (brother and nephew are diagnosed). Several family members are also bipolar, if that makes a difference.
2) In some situations involving extreme emotional stress, something switches off and I feel nothing... This usually comes up when the wife is trying to fight with me. Logically, I know I should feel something or other, but it's just not there. I have play-acted in the past because I know that a reaction was expected, and didn't want negative consequences from being robot-like (which doesn't do it for most ladies).
3) A bit neurotic about organization schemes (computer files, MTG cards, books, etc.)
4) Extreme focus on topics of interest and no focus on topics that do not interest me
5) Wife's friends think I'm a bit scary and standoffish, even though I don't really say or do anything, as far as I can tell. She tells me to smile more and nod when they talk. Doesn't feel natural to me.
6) I have a long history of awkward interactions with others, frequently saying or doing peculiar or off-putting things, often in service to my own sense of humour.
7) I worked a crummy job for 12 years because it was comfortable and I didn't like the prospect of looking for/creating a new one.
8) I use too many commas and subordinate clauses in writing.

Other factors that could be for or against(?):
1) Don't particularly care about a tidy or clean environment, however, if I do decide to tidy up, I am pretty through and systematic.
2) I made it through nearly four decades without sending up any red flags or requiring any special help or treatment. I've only been to a shrink once, and that was to make sure I wasn't being traumatized by my parents' divorce.
3) I have times where I am quite deeply empathic, uncontrollably so under certain conditions.
4) Anal expulsive about money (just don't care about/can't hang onto the stuff...)
5) Usually a fairly low level of susceptibility to abstract anxiety, but public speaking used to cause problems (throat seizing up) back when I was in school.
6) Never cared about fashion or clothing. I let the Mrs pick which clothes to buy now.
7) Odd eating habits. I usually finish one item on the plate before moving to the next thing and then the one after. I save whatever I enjoy most for last. I am horrified by food waste and always finish everything, whether I like it or not.
8) Chronic procrastinator

I don't have much interest in seeing mental health professionals unless I develop new problems, and I don't expect to find a diagnosis here. I know that's not what you do. I was just curious if this sounds familiar to anyone with more experience with this stuff... Feel free to speculate.

Thanks,
Rex

Many here are self diagnosed and aren't seeking any further validation via formal diagnosis, and not feeling they need special services related to autism. Some are in the process of investigating the possibility. So you shouldn't feel out of place.

As far as what you describe it does sound very much in line with tendencies associated with autism (my opinion). The only thing that stands out is the lack of anxiety. Nervousness in public speaking is almost universal with NTs as well as ASD folks so thats ambiguous. Anxiety is considered a co-morbid of autism and not part of autism itself, but is very common with us. But if you learn anything about autism over time it is that no two on the spectrum are alike and there are exceptions to all symptoms. In fact I think it rare for people to have all symptoms. There are autistic extroverts for example.

The strong family history autism is a significant factor and increases the possibility.

welcome to af.png

Hi and welcome to the forums. There are many online tests that can give you a better idea if you might be ASD. Here is a recent thread listing some Unofficial Autism Tests. I am self-diagnosis and scored a 34 on the AQ (likely ASD at 32 and above).

Howdy Rex!
Good luck with all that. You sound like an interesting guy. Congratulations on a reasonably successful life & a marriage. Living a good normal life is real success.

New Threads

Top Bottom